Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2008 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Also, read this whole post this morning, @Jason Tate, and man, I'm shuddering remembering that McDonald's ad from 2012/13 or so. Wasn't it like an alien spaceship hamburger or something? And if you scrolled over the ad, it started making this eerie noise and floating around your screen? What a nightmare that thing was.

Crisp X and anonimito like this.
  2. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

“shock of the lightning” was pretty big, but not the same level, yeah. falling down and get off your high horse are my two faves

3. Pepetito Jun 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2020)
    Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Very top heavy for me.

Gaslight.
    Jacks.
    Valencia.
    the Maine - CTWS
    Senses - Waiting Room
    Butch Walker.
    Death Cab.

This is also the year I started following AbsolutePunk, so there is that as well.

Bartek T. likes this.
  4. Marty

Local man.

On a quarantine-related whim a few weeks back, I actually listened to Razia’s Shadow for the first time in probably eight years. I gotta say, I still really enjoy it.

It is 100% messy plot-wise and the dialogue of the Narrator sounds like Thomas wrote a script and then used the Microsoft Thesaurus to replace most of the words, but I always respected its ambition. As a theatre kid (or college student) then and a theatre lover still, I appreciate the storytelling of it. It was more immediately palatable over some of the loosely plotted concept albums that were more prominent around that time. Also, Thomas picked some really fun guests (Shawn Harris killed it).

It is an album I wish had gotten more attention then and, deep down, I wish had some more legacy attached to it now. It really is fun.

5. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

The neon era of pop punk is perhaps where every band I dislike the most from that genre originated. It became too watered down (in an already pretty watered down genre if I am totally honest with myself), and the songs just never held up.

To this day i do not understand the appeal of a band like Cute Is What We Aim For.

Also, about 6/7 years later the neon era birthed Waterparks and nothing will ever make that okay.

Bartek T. likes this.
  6. Ska Senanake

Trusted

Paper Rival and Apes and Androids are missing!!!

Bartek T. likes this.
  7. F**king hell, I've loved this series so far, but writing in the conclusion on this one is fantastic.

Don't remember the exact year I stated visiting AP, but it had to be around this time. I remember seeing this top 10 & initially being slightly confused by the sounds it represented. Ironically enough, it was The 59 Sound that opened me up. It was after this AP wasn't just the place to discover new pop punk bands, but a place to comfortably expand my listening into new sounds. It would be front & center again years later when pop worked it's way into my rotation. Good times indeed!

Jason Tate and trevorshmevor like this.
  8. sosplatano

Regular Supporter

I think Lydia was my #1 back then, still a good album... Also I don't think Bon Iver and Kanye West made my list
    1. Copeland - You Are My Sunshine
    2. Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    3. Lydia - Illuminate
    4. Coldplay - Viva la Vida, Or Death and All His Friends
    5. The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound
    6. Valencia - We All Need a Reason to Believe
    7. Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger
    8. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
    9. Panic At The Disco - Pretty. Odd.
    10. The Reign of Kindo - Rhythm, Chord & Melody
    11. E for Explosion - Reinventing the Heartbeat
    12. City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
    13. Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak
    14. Hit the Lights - Skip School, Start Fights
    15. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Bartek T. and anonimito like this.
  9. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

ugh i love this band - thank goodness for el obo but it doesn't quite scratch the same itch that full colour revolt did. i wish these guys got huge

phaynes12 and mercury like this.
  10. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

No mention of either of these albums by anyone so far?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    Kanye West - 808s & Heartbreaks
    Lil Wayne - Tha Carter III
    Wale - Mixtape About Nothing
    Girl Talk - Feed the Animals
    Reks - Grey Hairs
    Kid Cudi - A Kid Named Cudi
    Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend
    Off With Their Heads - From the Bottom
    The Gaslight Anthem - The 59 Sound

12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

2008 was the year I joined AP. Of course it was the year the winds began blowing in different, better directions!

Bartek T. likes this.
  13. This made me laugh out loud this morning. So thank you.

SamLevi11 likes this.
  14. Lucas27

Trusted

1. The Silver Cord – The Classic Crime
    2. The End Is Not The End - House of Heroes
    3. You Are My Sunshine – Copeland
    4. Lost in the Sound of Separation - Underoath
    5. For Emma, Forever Ago - Bon Iver
    6. Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends - Coldplay
    7. Resurrection Letters, Vol. 2 – Andrew Peterson
    8. Narrow Stairs – Death Cab for Cutie
    9. New Surrender - Anberlin
    10. The Alchemy Index Vol. 3 & 4: Air & Earth – Thrice

About to go through The Gaslight Anthem's discography for the first time (!!!) so I feel sure The '59 Sound would be on here otherwise. Also, it's a shame to me how under-the-radar Classic Crime's The Silver Cord is for people. I feel like it could have been hailed alongside Cities and The Everglow if the rest of their discography was near that caliber.

15. soggytime

Trusted

So weird, I had "For Emma, Forever Ago" as a 2007 release.

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

It was self-released in 2007 but Jagjaguwar put it out in 08

17. soggytime

Trusted

ohhh that makes sense. I was going by wikipedia's original release

18. Steve_JustAGuy Jun 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2020)
    Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

In some loose order: Coldplay, Raconteurs, Kings of Leon, NERD, Gaslight, Underoath, Fall Out Boy, Death Cab, Metallica, Black Keys

Albums I really enjoyed but don't feel like making a proper ranking: Jeezy, Ludacris, The Killers, Shwayze, The Game, The Ting Tings, Lady Gaga, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend

Brings me back to a very specific time: 3OH3

JRGComedy likes this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Shit I forgot about The Game's album from that year. TI's Paper Trail was also good.
    Still pissed he cut this track:

20. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Oh that's a good one. Paper Trail had some real big songs on it.

21. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

So happy to see Girl Talk – Feed The Animals on your list. I don't know whether I actually discovered it in 2008 or later, but that album is so good. Listening to it always puts me in a good mood.

okayibelieveyou and Jason Tate like this.
  22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Listening to Feed the Animals for the first time in forever. It's so good

kelseyleigh and Jason Tate like this.
  23. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Forgot that I'd made playlists with my top 20 songs from each year a few months back. This is 2008.
    2008.JPG

anonimito and kelseyleigh like this.
  24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I'd share having the greatest of expectations and uhh, it didn't turn out so well. Also started to hate the more neon bands back then. I didn't rank anything up until a few years later, but my fav would probably be Alchemy Index, as it's a perfect blend of many journeys I had. Also I still have Lydia, Copeland and a few gems on my old mp3 player, and that would be in my TOP 10 for sure. So many meaningful albums, now I'm in the middle of Jason's spotify list - it's really cool! I was still soooo into FOB as well, I could sing along to every word on the album.

I turned to bands like DCFC or Frigthened Rabbit later (discovered Bon Iver only with BI, BI, too!) and probably listen to them a lot more than let's say FOB. But for the time being it was different, and obviously it feels very nostalgic again, I need to get back to a few of these I haven't revisited in a long time, for example Cars by Now, Now (Every Children hmm), and give some second chances to those albums by The Matches or Astronautalis.

Also, having Glass Passenger out there was such a beautiful feeling of victory, it was pure joy. Loved Razia's Shadow so much as well, it was such a huge concept and lots of cool guest spots, which is sometghing I was always attracted to, I guess.

25. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

I'm finishing the list on spotify and it feels great - woah how much stuff like My Favorite Highway was such a great guilty pleasure for me. I had absolutely nobody around here back then that would listen to this soft and pretty version of pop punk. Later I got some friends into Cartel etc., and I wouldn't stop to pitch these kinds of bands to them hahh.