Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2008 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

[​IMG]

Bartek T. and KidLightning like this.
  2. SFguitar

Regular

I couldn't find the podcast. In general, what does he say?

3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

That he wrote a whole bunch of songs for them and they only used one (I think Marriage to Millions, might be Lock Down Denial)

SFguitar likes this.
  4. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Was that this year as well? It's one of my fave Pop punk releases ever hahahah so bad, but so goooood.

SFguitar likes this.
  5. JRGComedy likes this.
  6. What I wouldn’t give to own Can’t Love, Can’t Hurt on wax for an even remotely reasonable price, haha. Listened to that record sooooo much that year. First time I heard Dan hold that note in Fire I’m pretty sure my heart stopped

7. Craig Manning

You and me both, man. That record is one of the big blank spots in my collection. "Hey Now" came up on shuffle on my run today, and it still bowls me over how great Dan sounds on that song.

8. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

honorable mentions: thrice - alchemy index 3&4, the hold steady - stay positive, the black keys - attack and release

25. the walkmen - you & me
    24. the mars volta - the bedlam in goliath
    23. the drive-by truckers - brighter than creation’s dark
    22. kings of leon - only by the night
    21. fleet foxes - fleet foxes
    20. protest the hero - fortress
    19. one day as a lion - one day as a lion
    18. spiritualized - songs in a&e
    17. the parlor mob - and you were a crow
    16. nine inch nails - the slip
    15. lil wayne - tha carter iii
    14. the raconteurs - consolers of the lonely
    13. gojira - the way of all flesh
    12. oasis - dig out your soul
    11. tv on the radio - dear science
    10. augustana - can’t love can’t hurt
    9. death cab for cutie - narrow stairs
    8. vampire weekend - vampire weekend
    7. the last shadow puppets - the age of the understatement
    6. coldplay - viva la vida or death and all his friends
    5. kanye west - 808s and heartbreak
    4. the gaslight anthem - the ’59 sound
    3. colour revolt - plunder beg and curse
    2. frightened rabbit - the midnight organ flight
    1. bon iver - for emma, forever ago

9. phaynes12

shoutout oasis shoutout noel shoutout liam shoutout andy shoutout gem

Craig Manning likes this.
  10. JimmyIymmiJ

Music, a steady riot in my soul. Prestigious

My tops are from 2008:

The Gaslight Anthem - The ‘59 Sound
    Frank Turner - Love Ire & Song.

Neither were even in my radar back then, but both are all timers for me now.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

-love how long these write ups are
    -favorites for me would be Lydia, underoath, city&colour, Norma Jean, Greeley estates
    -still can’t grasp that Lydia didn’t come out in like 2004
    -to me 2008 has always felt like the year music, at least my tastes, got a lot heavier. Some bands got really heavy for the first time (Greeley), some doubled down (underoath), some made their brand of heavy better (Norma Jean). I loved that things were heading that direction, but in the next few years it started to get a lot more generic. In my head, 2008, my last year of high school, is where the golden age of the scene ends in my head and everything gets so much more expansive.

12. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

The slip. Totally forgot that one. Somehow slipped out of my iTunes too..

phaynes12 likes this.
  13. phaynes12

don't get caught sleeping

14. SFguitar

Regular

trevorshmevor likes this.
  15. Craig Manning

I was on an Oasis kick a few weeks ago and listened to that album for the first time in a long time. Their latter day stuff never got enough credit.

phaynes12 likes this.
  16. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

The '59 Sound wouldn't have been my album of the year in 2008 but it's now my favourite ever. I think old heads really got a kick out of hearing all the references to Sprinsteen, Waits, Dylan, Petty etc. But for me -- and I'm sure a lot of people -- the album worked in the opposite way. It encouraged me to listen to those other artists, really dive into their work. And when I did, I loved picking up on all of the references to them from The '59 Sound. "Oh, that's why he sings 'Bring a dollar with you baby, in the cold cold ground" -- the list goes on. For that reason, and others, no album has continued to be so richly rewarding for me.

My 2008 ranking as of now:
    1. The Gaslight Anthem -- The '59 Sound
    2. City and Color -- Bring Me Your Love
    3. Story of the Year -- The Black Swan (their best)
    4. The Getaway Plan -- Other Voices, Other Rooms (not sure if they ever caught on in the USA but highly recommend)
    5. The Hold Steady -- Stay Positive
    6. Rise Against -- Appeal to Reason
    7. Flight of the Conchords -- S/T (amazing album!)
    8. Butch Walker -- Sycamore Meadows
    9. Kanye West -- 808s and Heartbreak
    10. The Living End -- White Noise

17. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Fall Out Boy, Lydia, City and Colour, Underoath....

Good list

Bartek T. and BoldType like this.
  18. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

To be honest I had no idea Oasis still made music in 2008. You are the undisputed king of late-career advocation/defence. I'll have to give post-prime Oasis a shot.

Craig Manning likes this.
  19. phaynes12

truly. they still sold well though, at least compared to bands in similar places in their careers. i remember “lyla” being a pretty massive hit.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  20. phaynes12

literally all their records have sold over a million copies haha. it isn’t just me and craig. sure, they weren’t wonderwall big. but they were still huuuuge up until the day they broke up.

no hyperbole there’s only one other reunion tour i can think of that would outsell an oasis reunion in 2020, in terms of “rock” at least

21. grimis16

Regular

Wait...you dropped Dear and the Headlights off completely? Seriously? That album is still amazing 12 years later.

Bartek T. likes this.
  22. Haven’t listened to it in at least ten. Too many others (unfortunately ?) I have.

grimis16 likes this.
  23. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Tons of great stuff in 2008. It was technically first released in 2007 (widespread release January 2008), but I think MGMT’s Oracular Spectacular has to be my favorite. If not my favorite, certainly the album I return to most from that year.

Anthony Brooks likes this.
  24. Steeeve Perry

Trusted

Yeah I saw that when I looked it up. Maybe it's just that none of their singles caught on here in Australia so I missed it. To be honest I knew about the first two and then that the third was long and divisive, and never gave oasis another thought beyond that point. Just a blind spot for me, which I'll have to rectify.
    Craig also champions late period U2, Springsteen, maybe REM I can't remember. So I kinda lumped oasis in with those other examples. I think it's cool, it seems like (apart from rolling stone) most critics are indifferent or dismissive of post-prime albums.

25. Craig Manning

Ha, I'm okay with this title. I tend to be really drawn to late-career albums, particularly by artists who had a big peak and then kept going for a long time after that.

Yeah, "Lyla" was a big ol' hit. I remember that one being on the rock radio rotation in 2005 alongside, like, "Best of You" and "Speed of Sound" and "Be Yourself." I don't recall anything from Dig Out Your Soul getting that level of traction, but then 2008 was a very different time for radio than 2005.

The ballads on this one have always been favorites of mine. "Falling Down" and "I'm Outta Time" are both great.

Anthony Brooks and phaynes12 like this.