Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2007 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 17, 2020.

1. pbueddi

Trusted

Yeah I mean it was nothing stellar, but there was some stuff I enjoyed.

I liked the music on the third album, just not the singer lol.

SFguitar likes this.
  2. This is a time capsule of my senior year of high school

Jason Tate likes this.
  3. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Commit and IATM are both far superior to kills imo

4. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I’ll take Dinosaur Life over EIIKM

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Nostalgia aside, I think IATM is weaker than it's built up to be

6. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

motion city is a band i literally never got

7. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Possible. I got into them with that album

irthesteve likes this.
  8. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I think commit is pretty close - they are both gems. Even just has a cleaner, polished sense that I really love.

9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Maybe its just the style. I just like their harder sound so much more.

10. Jusscali

Oh it definitely is. I have tons of friends who love Dino and I Am etc. In all honesty, aside from a few select tracks on the other albums I don’t love most of their stuff. Commit and Even are all timers for me but most of the other times I was left feeling mildly disappointed.

11. manoverboard679

If you have to ask, you can't afford it

Surprised no one's mentioned Angels and Airwaves

12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

are you

13. Crisp X Jun 20, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 20, 2020)
    2007 was one of my most formative years. It's the one in which I noticed a cultural shift. I was suddenly seeing "emo" thrown around a lot in French internet. I started to explore Myspace to discover bands, with Purevolume and Buzznet following afterwards. I got used to hearing about some well known scenesters (remember Audrey Kitching and Hanna Beth?), with lots of blogs dedicated to scene gossip or simply writing about the affiliated music and fashion, etc. All that stuff was fascinating to 12 year old me as I was trying to catch up, while having no one in my surroundings or at school to talk about it. A true sad emo teen!

It's also the year I got into Paramore, Taking Back Sunday, Underoath, Thrice, and Thursday, which would all be my gateways into the scene now that I think about it. Louder Now and Riot! made my entire summer.

From that time, 4 albums that were big to me in real time and that I revisit every summer or fall are:

- Paramore - Riot!
    - Seether - Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces
    - Avenged Sevenfold - Self-titled
    - The Blackout - We Are The Dynamite (which hasn't aged well but that's not uncommon)

Then there are those I came across in early to mid 2008 such as:

- Enter Shikari - Take To The Skies
    - Circa Survive - On Letting Go
    - Hopesfall - Magnetic North (surprised by the lack of mention by anyone)
    - Idiot Pilot - Wolves
    - The Almost - Southern Weather

Or later in 2009 and 2010:

- The Starting Line - Direction
    - The Graduate - Anhedonia
    - Kanye West - Graduation
    - Dear And The Headlights - Small Steps, Heavy Hooves
    - Relient K - Five Score And Seven Years Ago
    - Shad - The Old Prince

Then over the years, as I've broadened my music tastes, I've ended up finding new 2007 favorites but it's harder to remember which ones came out that year as I don't seek out music that way, I've become a discography run kind of listener, and I'm bad at making and organizing lists too.

I do know Little Voice by Sara Bareilles, Blackout by Britney Spears, Cartel's second album, that Motion City Soundtrack album, or Good Girl Gone Bad by Rihanna among others would be on my new 2007 list.

When it comes to a reranking, I don't even remember if I made an initial list at the time. One thing's certain, my #1 remains Enter Shikari. I don't even listen to it that much these days, but in terms of impact, I can't think of another one that could top it. That band and album blew me away and completely changed the course for my musical tastes.

The Starting Line would be #2. It has been linked to such specific memories that I'm not able to revisit that much, in fear of overthrowing the formers... not sure if I'm making sense. It's such a special album, and they deserved better.

edit: Tangled Up by Girls Aloud came out in 2007! That would be in my top 3 for sure.

Oskarr, disambigujason and anonimito like this.
  14. tyler_pifer

Wow. Disagree strongly. Album's catchy as hell. Some really good guitar work. Ever since Jason Lancaster left they haven't been the same.

Pepetito likes this.
  15. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

dear and the headlights. I’ve just rediscovered them and don’t understand how they weren’t bigger. Feel like they are a perfect sxsw / outside lands middle tier band.

love both the albums

16. Jusscali

Totally forgot about that band damn

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

1. Yellowcard – Paper Walls
    2. Anberlin – Cities
    3. Motion City Soundtrack – Even if It Kills Me
    4. Jimmy Eat World – Chase This Light
    5. Paramore – Riot
    6. Fall Out Boy – Infinity on High
    7. The National – Boxer
    8. Against Me! – New Wave
    9. Relient K – Five Score and Seven Years Ago
    10. The Starting Line – Direction

An absurdly stacked year, frankly. I graduated college this year and eight of these records are all timers for me, with at least two of them being desert-island-level records for me.

18. BenSmith94

Trusted

Paper Walls, Chase this Light and Riot are my top three, to get them all in one year is pretty incredible.

Btw, really enjoying these lists Jason, it's an awesome little nostalgia trip.

Pepetito likes this.
  19. grimis16

Regular

They are incredible. I just recently discovered that they an iTunes exclusive song called Telemarket Mishap. Both albums are some of my favorite ever.

20. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

Gotta admit I still do listen to those Dear And The Headlights albums quite regularly, the band holds up so well. Similar feeling with bands like The Working Title or Days Away, not too much material, but it's all worth coming back to.

21. OhTheWater Jun 25, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 25, 2020)
    OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3
    Bomb the Music Industry - Get Warmer
    Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Bear vs. Shark - Terrorhawk
    Jay Z - American Gangster
    Kanye West - Graduation
    The National - Boxer
    Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero