Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2007 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Deas fucking vail

this was a great year

Lucas27, Bartek T. and anonimito like this.
  2. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

That reliant k cd disappointed me so hard and singularity has only grown on me in time. Most of the big hitters from this year hold up for me. Wonder when that search the city album came out? Probably around this time.

SFguitar and anonimito like this.
  3. anonimito

Abelian Supporter

The EP was 2006 and the LP was 2008. I love STC.

SFguitar likes this.
  4. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I always thought BOATS could have blown up if "Bedroom Talk" hadn't been the lead single. I think the Howard Benson decision is the right choice. I dunno if Neal would have worked well on Direction.

thisisasong likes this.
  5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

Four Year Strong – Rise or Die Trying
    New Found Glory – From The Screen To Your Stereo Part 2
    :thumbdown::redanger:

Say Anything – In Defense of the Genre
    :thumbup::sleeping:

RODT has fallen for me.

6. Ryan G

Moderator Moderator

"We All Roll Along" is a great song

Jusscali likes this.
  7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Paper Walls remains my favorite YC album. This was such a huge year for my music tastes. Never realized at the time how classic so many release would become.

anonimito and earthlight like this.
  8. Transient_Hymn

Somebody Turn the Neon Down Supporter

how could I forget that as cities burn record.

Lucas27 likes this.
  9. soggytime Jun 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2020)
    soggytime

Trusted

2007 is an incredible year for pop culture in general, and one of the most formative of my life.

This is the year the iPhone was introduced, Youtube was exploding after their purchase by Google, and Facebook was gaining momentum across both colleges & high schools.

Movies & TV wise - The Sopranos aired its final episode with possibly the greatest mic drop in the history of television. South Park aired Imaginationland. The Office is in its prime. Mad Men premiered. That Summer was the summer of 3 with Spider-Man 3 hyped to be the biggest superhero movie ever at the time before its release. We also get Shrek the Third coming at the tail end of Shrek fever, the third (and thought to be final) Pirates of the Caribbean, The Bourne Ultimatum, Rush Hour 3, etc. The first Transformers movie is released. Ratatouille is the first Pixar after their purchase by Disney. There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men were the 2 instant classics battling it out for Best Picture. It was one of the biggest studio comedy years with Apatow becoming a cultural force - Knocked Up, Superbad, Walk Hard all were released, as other soon to be cult classics such as Hot Fuzz and Hot Rod.

Gaming wise - We are blessed with Halo 3, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Super Mario Galaxy, Bioshock, The Orange Box, Oblivion, God of War II, GUITAR HERO 2, ROCK BAND, Mass Effect, Portal, Metroid Prime 3, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, etc the list goes on.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Anberlin, chiodos, TDWP, linkin park, the used were my biggest ones at the time. Got into other classics like On Letting Go and Riot later. Emery are one of my favorite bands but I hated and never came around on IOAM. I’ve never been the biggest JEW fan but I’d find it hard to argue it’s not the one that could most seamlessly be released today.

anonimito likes this.
  11. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

How has no one mentioned the self titled Boys Night Out album? The band went from writing a post-hardcore influenced concept album to making a pop punk masterpiece. Also, “Holding a Wolf by the Ears” is the best FATA record by a long shot, and it's on my personal Mount Rushmore of the post-hardcore genre. Fran on vocals is the best FATA.

1. From Autumn to Ashes - “Holding a Wolf by the Ears”

2. Boys Night Out - “Boys Night Out”

3. Enter Shikari - “Take to the Skies”

4. A Wilhelm Scream - “Career Suicide”

5. Four Year Strong - “Rise or Die Trying”

6. Paramore - “Riot!”

7. Say Anything - “In Defense of the Genre”

8. Jimmy Eat World - “Chase This Light”

9. Lifetime - “Lifetime”

10. Against Me! - “New Wave”

Steeeve Perry and Bartek T. like this.
  12. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Totally forgot FATA. Floored me when I first heard it.

DerekIsAGooner likes this.
  13. DerekIsAGooner

Very few people have the frenetic emotion Fran gives in his performances, and I think that's the biggest reason why I love the album so much.

disambigujason likes this.
  14. Not quite neon, but very watered down and not good though. Felt that way for 13 years. That next era of pop-punk is where I couldn’t follow; lack of choruses and interesting hooks had me moving elsewhere.

moore182 likes this.
  15. CAC3

Dog

I always loved the way TSL progressed. For me their records rank as follows:

1. Direction
    2. Say It Like You Mean It
    3. Based on a True Story

I will give the caveat that Direction is one of those records that bring me back to a very specific time and place in my life that I look back on fondly, so I may be a bit biased with that one.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  16. pbueddi

Trusted

I might have to give the absolute slightest edge to Southern Air, but both are awesome.

17. soggytime Jun 18, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 18, 2020)
    soggytime

Trusted

In 2007, I believe these were my most listened to: Streetlight Manifesto, Between the Buried and Me, The Used, Chiodos, The Devil Wears Prada, Avenged Sevenfold, Enter Shikari, Aiden, & Linkin Park

Re-Ranked with 2020 eyes:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
    Lil Wayne - Da Drought 3
    Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere In the Between
    Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
    Between the Buried and Me - Colors
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Fall Out Boy - Infinity On High
    A Day to Remember - For Those Who Have Heart*
    Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Bomb the Music Industry! - Get Warmer
    Circa Survive - On Letting Go
    Four Year Strong - Rise or Die Trying
    The Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim
    Enter Shikari - Take To the Skies

18. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Fair enough. I adore SILYMI, and like Based on a True Story. To me Directions was an awesome song in Island, a few other good songs, and then a few others that just didn't do much for me.

19. DerekIsAGooner

How the shit did I forget Bayside's "The Walking Wounded?" Bayside is literally my favorite band. Replace the FYS album with "TWW" and I'm happy with that list.

20. grimis16

Regular

Not in order, but I'm pretty happy about my top 10 in 2007. Time to go back and listen to the Hoodies and Fare You Well, it's been a long time! Bold are ones I still listen to regularly:

Anberlin - Cities
    Broadway Calls - Broadway Calls
    Cassino - Sounds of Salvation
    Fare You Well - Sounds Like A Serenade
    Say Anything - In Defense of the Genre
    the Dear Hunter - Act II
    the Gaslight Anthem - Sink or Swim
    the Honorary Title - Scream and Light Up the Sky

the Hoodies - A Place On Solid Ground
    Weatherbox - American Art

21. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Whoever She Is" is the one I come back to most from that record.

22. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

This is too difficult for me to compile a wider list, but I know this on thing; "On Letting Go" by Circa Survive is on of the most important records in my entire life! So yeah, thankful for that one!

23. Lucas27

Trusted

I was mostly using other people's lists to remember what came out in 2007, so I totally forgot Bon Iver until now. How on earth is it on so few lists???

24. Lucas27

Trusted

YES. All the Houses Look the Same is amazing and criminally overlooked.

Bartek T. and anonimito like this.
  25. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Both slow songs on the album are great. Whoever she is and Into your arms.