Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2006 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 5

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Thank you for being on the right side of history.

That Justin Timberlake album is a stone cold classic too.

phaynes12 likes this.
  2. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

My ignorance of black artists in the 2000s really shows as I scroll back through my iTunes. Gonna start with that clipse album.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  3. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

It's a fantastic album

Listen to the album Lord Willin too

4. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Lord Willin' should be on your list too, Clipse were so good it hurts.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  5. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i keep it real

6. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah my fake in my head list seems to contain a bunch of albums not listed in this thread.

7. Jfletch

Newbie Supporter

I just wanted to say thank you for doing this list. With your list and other albums in this thread contributed by others, I realized how much great music there was that came out that year. Much of this I did not get into until but so many of these albums still hold up. Thank you for refreshing the memory and taking me down memory lane

Jason Tate likes this.
  8. Crisp X Jun 13, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 13, 2020)
    I'm especially looking forward to 2007, the year I started expanding my tastes by diving into the styles that shaped my teens (emo/post-hardcore, all that Absolutepunk catnip) and actively sought out new music online, and 2008, the year I joined the site.

As for 2006, my music knowledge was very limited at the time. I would've probably put Lostprophets somewhere but of course it's all tainted now. I mention them because it's a similar struggle to what I see Brand New fans talk about, and I relate to the conflicting thoughts. That said:

Mutemath would be #1. Can't think of another band in that genre that blew me away this much on every single level. We didn't deserve them. I discovered them in 2010 though.

Taking Back Sunday would very likely be #2. I still love that record as much as I did the first time I heard it on summer 2007.

AFI is definitely #3. That album, and their discography in general, was so influential to me.

In Flames might be #4. I spun that album A LOT in summer 2007, also the time I got into the band, and not only it does hold up so well, but it also remains the best post-Clayman album and one of their bests. I'll die on that hill. Plus, it represented a taste switch from mostly metal to rock/punk/emo.

As Tall As Lions at #5 would make sense, even though I did find out about them three years later.

As for the rest, I'd have to think about it a bit longer because even if so many albums come to mind, only a few I still spin to this day.

edit: Dang, of course Alexisonfire would have to be in my top 10. I'm not sure about Saosin and Rise Against as they fit my last point.

edit2: Oh crap, Underoath... also in my top 10 even if I barely listen to it these days.

edit3: Thursday should be my #2 or even #1. Another proof I'm not thinking hard enough about all this!

edit4: Drag me for forgetting about Ignite. Okay, no more edits.

mercury, Fucking Dustin and anonimito like this.
  9. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

Props for Joshua Radin being up there.

10. Surprised to see Matchbook Romance get a mention here! I think that album is incredible, honestly anyone who liked the “darker” music this era produced should give it a re listen, it doesn’t get enough credit. The lead single Monsters is not representative of the album as a whole.

Bartek T. likes this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Appreciate how you handled BN here. I have not been able to quit that album because of how much I ended up leaning on it in 2007 when I was depressed. At the depth of my depression I was fallnig asleep to taht album nearly every night (and of course being woken up by the bomb). It's hard for me to put into words what it did for me back then.

I was juuust getting into them and Taking Back Sunday finally around the same time, and because I was depressed I gravitated more towards TAYF than Louder Now at the time, but Louder Now was still a good album I thought. IT would almost def make a list if I put one together.

I cannot take your Dusk and Summer hate! Maybe it's because I wasn't a Dashboard fan at the time so I didnt have any expectations, but I love that album still today. Dashboard has always been hit or miss for me though, I seem to love soem songs from each album.

Sam's Town would def be on my list as well. I remember being floored when I heard When You Were Young. Man I loved that song when it first came out.

+44 was another album that got me through my depression in 2007. God the mood/tone of that album was a perfect match for my mood and tone at the time lol. I, again, wasn't a huge huge BLink fan so the complete change in tone and tenor from what I'm sure many Blink fans were expecting doesn't surprise me that some people never got into it, but it didn't bother me at all....but I knew the last Blink album was dark and I got this one hoping for another dark and somber sound and I got it. Even the poppier/happier sounding songs on that album seem a little 'off' in exactly the right way for me at the time.

(Also, Straight outta Lynwood came out this year)