Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Back to 2006 (Re-Ranking the Best of Lists) • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Cipher

I didn't say "I still don't know what to do about that for my list". I said "I still don't know what to do with that". Yes, there's a difference.

2. Ska Senanake

Trusted

WAITER!!!

irthesteve likes this.
  3. soggytime

Trusted

I really got into Brand New a few years later, probably around the release of Daisy honestly. At that point, Devil&God became my favorite album. I also remember the popular conscenous of people I knew in HS was that The Black Parade was MCR "selling out" and wasn't cool.... I listened to that one more privately. Glad to see the world came around on it.

So back in 2006, my most listened to albums were:

Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now
    Atreyu - A Death-Grip on Yesterday
    My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
    Parkway Drive - Killing With a Smile
    The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It
    Rise Against - The Sufferer & The Witness
    All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
    AFI - Decemberunderground
    Streetlight Manifesto - Keasbey Nights
    Alexisonfire - Crisis

The updated list now (minus Brand New, which would have in a better world been #1)

1. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
    2. Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now
    3. Lil Wayne - The Dedication 2
    4. J Dilla - Donuts
    5. As Tall As Lions - As Tall As Lions
    6. The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers For Disappointment
    7. New Found Glory - Coming Home
    8. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
    9. The Decemberists - The Crane Wife
    10. Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child
    11. Portugal. The Man - Waiter: "You Vultures!"
    12. John Mayer - Continuum
    13. AFI - Decemberunderground
    14. Alexisonfire - Crisis
    15. Dashboard Confessional - Dusk and Summer

And a bunch more. This was another formative year for me

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  4. Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

Oh wow Dedication 2 was 2006, how did I forget that

5. soggytime

Trusted

One of my favorite hip-hop mixtapes ever. I really want more of these Datpiff.com classics to appear on Spotify.

Fucking Dustin likes this.
  6. Anthony Brooks Jun 11, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 11, 2020)
    Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Oh man, this is the year i finally broke into this scene. It was all due to Saosin’s self titled. I remember hearing Voices on the radio and thinking i had never heard music like that before. Bought the album and the rest is history

7. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

8. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

Was devil 1?

9. Pepetito

Trusted Supporter

I’m not completely following.

10. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think 2006 was the best year for us. Still has a lot of the earlier raw energy, the 2nd or 3rd album bands are playing their instruments better, the new bands had the 2004-2005 albums to build on, it’s a perfect mix.

The other posts have all covered my favorites but I’ll just say Define the Great Line is my GOAT and all things considered I think decemberunderground has a strong case to be the year’s best crossover album. Also special shoutout to the forever under-appreciated dead poetic.

skogsraet and Garrett like this.
  11. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

With my limited 2006 knowledge,

1. My Chemical Romance- The Black Parade
    2. The Killers- Sam’s Town
    3. Arctic Monkeys- WPSIA
    4. The Format- Dog Problems
    5. Justin Timberlake- Future Sex/Love Sound
    6. Muse- Black Holes & Revelations
    7. The Strokes- First Impressions of Earth
    8. Thom Yorke- The Eraser
    9. Portugal the Man- Waiter
    10. Joanna Newsom- Ys

SEANoftheDEAD likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

BN had the Demos (my favorite release from them) and TDAG that year, damn. Anyways fuck em they're off the list.

1. Bomb the Music Industry - Goodbye Cool World
    2. Defiance Ohio - The Great Depression
    3. J Dilla - Donuts
    4. Regina Spektor - Begin to Hope
    5. Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child
    6. The Format - Dog Problems
    7. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
    8. Band of Horses - Everything All the Time
    9. Lil Wayne - Dedication 2
    10. Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor
    11. Ghostface Killa - Fishscale
    12. The Roots - Game Theory

phaynes12 and Jason Tate like this.
  13. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

That one is pretty handily my least favorite of his solo albums, but it's still pretty great.

14. paperlung

there's no place like my room Supporter

I didn't have an ipod or last.fm yet in 2006 so it's hard to remember what I was listening to.

1. define the great line - underoath
    2. louder now - tbs
    3. black parade - mcr
    4. dog problems - format
    5. if only you were lonely - hawthorne heights
    6. dont you fake it - red jumpsuit apparatus

i also love love loved food & liquor but didn't really start listening to that album until later.

disambigujason likes this.
  15. quietwords

RIP EmoPunkKid28: 2002-2016 Prestigious

Agreed- still some excellent songs on it. I think Release is my favorite. Just hit at the right time for me.

Craig Manning likes this.
  16. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Yeah, agreed. Release really captures a specific stage of growing up for me. Wake is a strong runner up though.

quietwords likes this.
  17. Anthony Brooks Jun 11, 2020
    Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

Today's rankings:
    1. Manchester Orchestra - I'm Like a Virgin Losing a Child
    2. Saosin - Saosin
    3. Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
    4. Alexisonfire - Crisis
    5. mewithoutYou - Brother, Sister
    6. Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
    7. Underoath - Define the Great Line
    8. Thursday - A City by the Light Divided
    9. The Format - Dog Problems
    10. Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness
    11. Moneen - The Red Tree
    12. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
    13. P.O.S - Audition

18. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

man, Donuts really is a perfect album

19. kelseyleigh

Trusted Supporter

Reading through these lists it is interesting for me to see how many of these bands I listen to now that I didn't know about at the time; Manchester Orchestra in particular.

20. Snoblin

Goblin Person Prestigious

I'm glad to see that Mutiny! made it onto the relisting. That album is really lightning in a bottle for that band.

dwpaulin and irthesteve like this.
  21. SFguitar

Regular

A lot of bands that were popular in the Warped scene released great albums - A Change of Pace, Halifax, Hit the Lights, RJA, The Audition, BLG, Senses Fail

22. Jusscali

Synth-Bop Enthusiast Prestigious

I think overall 05 was better but this year has a bunch of standalone greats by bands that didn’t hold up long for me I think. Parks album is wayyyyy up high for me.

23. Steeeve Perry Jun 11, 2020
    Steeeve Perry

Trusted

For me, 2006 is THE year for my musical development. I finally had some cash to buy albums and wanted to seek out whatever was "best" (and whoever was coming to Australia on the Taste of Chaos tour.
    I'd argue 2006 was the absolute pinnacle for a lot of important bands to this scene:

Obviously Brand New. That album changed the way I viewed music and I also loved it right up until the truth about Jesse came out. I thought I'd still listen to that album but I really haven't outside a couple of songs here and there. It feels like a closed chapter for my listening habits now. I completely agree with your take Jason -- let's not just pretend like it didn't happen, but let's not promote the band/album as something we would recommend people listen to. Nonetheless, this album and year was the band's peak.

My Chemical Romance. I remember feeling at the end of 2006 like this album was kinda silly and people would judge me for ranking it too highly. In hindisght, the bombastic and overblown nature of the album has actually helped it age well. I'd argue the pop-punk with emo and a lot of theatricality of Black Parade could be compared with the next decade's best emo album, Home by The Hotelier (and the next decade's second best emo album, Harmlessness by TWIABP). Big, brave, sprawling, genre-hopping albums have certainly become more en vogue since and I have grown to appreciate them more and more. Also Black Parade just rips and was clearly My Chem's prime.

Rise Against. Not my favourite album of theirs (prefer SSOTCC) but a punk classic that hit the sweet spot for their sound -- still passionate, not yet formulaic.

Anti-Flag. For Blood and Empire is their best album hands down.

The Hold Steady. Separation Sunday (my fav) had generated buzz and Boys and Girls capitalised perfectly, with punchier and poppier songs. Definitely the band's critical and commercial apex.

Saosin. This album had a huge amount of hype and the band delivered in a way it couldn't recapture. A near perfect album, lightning in a bottle.

Thursday. Many would argue the earlier albums are more beloved and the later albums (especially No Devolucion) perfected their later symphonic sound. I think ACBTLD is the perfect mix of the band's two sounds, and of course a crucial pivot point for the band at the perfect time. Another classic, which the band toured heavily -- I'd imagine this period coincided with their biggest fandom and (hopefully) most financial success.

The Lawrence Arms. PunkNews gave Oh! Calcutta album of the decade and I couldn't argue. Rippers from start to finish.

Aside from all these peaks, the year had a lot of other landmark albums for our scene and beyond. Louder Now feels like the last great album of that initial TBS run. Manchester Orchestra emerged as a new favourite. Hell, Stadium Arcadium was a blockbuster album reaching heights (commercially at least) the likes of which RHCP could never replicate again.

Loving this series, thanks again Jason and everyone else getting involved.

Edit -- all this and I didn't even mention AFI (commercial peak), Alexisonfire (commercial and arguably creative peak), Red Jumpsuit (peak in every way imaginable), Moneen (I loved that album then never thought about that band again ever), and a bunch more no doubt

skogsraet likes this.
  24. Bartek T.

D'oh! Prestigious

So many good albums that I still listen to regularly, like the ones by As Tall As Lions and Copeland. But there's lots in these lists I haven't heard in a while, for example "Dog Problems", I need to throw it in to my weekend to-do list.

25. Nap

1- Brand New - The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me (There's no way I can pretend it doesn't exist or doesn't deserve the #1 spot)
    2- Moneen - The Red Tree
    3- Ignite - Our Darkest Days
    4- Boysetsfire - The Misery Index
    5- The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record
    6- The Strokes - First Impressions of Earth
    7- Rx Bandits - and the Battle Begun
    8- The Matches - Decomposer
    9- The Lawrence Arms - Oh Calcutta
    10- Alexisonfire - Crisis