Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Baby Driver (Edgar Wright, 2017) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Dean, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The writing in SP is very smart. It's no Holy Motors or Malick, but still superb.

fenway89 likes this.
  2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Edgar Wright has done enough good for me to be interested in anything he does. SP is probably the weakest of his films that I've seen, but still very clever and fun. This looks good

CarpetElf and fenway89 like this.
  3. fronkensteen

Trusted

Scott Pilgrim does not have smart writing. It can be clever, but it's juvenile and fairly shallow.

Which is fine because it's not trying or supposed to be something epic and deep.

4. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Scott Pilgrim isn't shallow at all. If your going to claim it's not smart writing, please explain how it isn't? The writing in that is so sharp and witty.

Also how is an action movie with car chases choreographed to the soundtrack sound even remotely uninteresting? This is doing something far more original than ANY action movie you will see this year.

5. Morrissey

Trusted

Scott Pilgrim reminded me a lot of Hot Topic.

The length that this is going on is concerning me because I generally enjoy Wright's work. Of the four films I have seen, I really liked three of them, and the other was not uniquely terrible or anything.

6. Dog with a Blog

The World's End is probably my favorite of all of his

7. fronkensteen

Trusted

Just because something or someone is witty doesn't mean it's smart. His personality, attitude, and decisions were almost always immature and childish.

There were parts that looked cool and a couple parts that made me laugh, but overall I was bored and don't understand the praise for it, other than it just being a fun movie.

As far as the action scenes from Baby Driver, that kind of action doesn't do it for me. It's impressive that they're able to put it together, but past that, it all melds together and my eyes glaze over.

8. :eyeroll:

fenway89 likes this.
  9. Connor

Just because a character makes childish and juvenile decisions, or has a childish personality or whatever you're claiming about Scott Pilgrim does not mean the writing of the actual movie isn't smart. Something can be smart and have characters who aren't.

10. We so have very similar tastes. Haha.

fenway89 likes this.
  11. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

The idea of getting Edgar Wright hot takes is astounding. This site never stops surprising me.

12. fronkensteen

Trusted

It astounds me that some people can't handle opinions differently than their own.

13. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

Seems like quite a few people in here have never read the source material for SP

14. Anthony_

Oh, I can handle it just fine. Doesn't make it any less surprising ;-)

fronkensteen and fenway89 like this.
  15. Anthony_

So good.

fenway89 likes this.
  16. Zilla Jun 21, 2017
    (Last edited: Jun 21, 2017)
    Zilla

Trusted Supporter

To be fair on that second part, the movie's tag line was "An epic of epic epicness."

17. Morrissey

Trusted

What would that have to do with anything?

fronkensteen likes this.
  18. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Technically, this is an amazing movie. It has a literal rhythm and percussiveness to it that's outstanding. But I also feel it was kind of shallow. I never quite buy the romantic relationship or the depth they try to go with Baby.

Regardless, it's really fun for a summer blockbuster and I hope that it does well because it's so creative and funny.

aoftbsten and zigbigwig like this.
  19. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

The graphic novel is pretty much like the movie. And the transition feels so seamless, at least for me. I remember watching a clip where Edgar was describing how they rehearsed every movement to capture the feeling/panels of the source.

I'm a fan of both, but I can see how anyone would think of it strictly as being juvenile - not that I agree. It's cool though.

20. Morrissey

Trusted

How on Earth can someone's feelings on a movie be dismissed as a "hot take"?

21. Connor

Well claiming that the writing in Scott Pilgrim isn't smart is kind of a hot take. All Edgar Wrights movies have incredibly smart writing.

wordzanddreamz and Jason Tate like this.
  22. Anthony_

Why, when we're being snarky on the internet, of course!

23. Morrissey

Trusted

He didn't think it was smart writing. That is not for you to decide for him.

24. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

But have you seen the movie yet...?

Night Channels and fenway89 like this.
  25. Connor

I mean something either has smart writing or it doesn't. It's not really a matter of opinion. What someone thinks of the overall movie is besides the point.