Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Aziz Ansari Responds to Accusations • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Terry

2. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

BirdPerson and incognitojones like this.
  3. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

And some people post purposefully obtuse shit on message boards for attention.

Edit: Oh, and if you do anything (respond to me, don’t respond to me, etc) you will have proven my point exactly.

4. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I'm surprised Terry hasn't been banned from posting his views in the Brand New thread yet. Ugh.

6. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

He's a real shitbag.

dylan likes this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

I just thought that I should have blocked him after that to begin with. Remedying my error now.

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I legit just assumed he commented on it. Didn't know he actually did haha ouy. Not a surprise though.

9. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

In all fairness to the facts, all he's saying is that his version of events is different, but he acknowledges how she felt and is considering her side of the story. That's a huge difference from him saying everything she said is entirely the truth. He's not denying anything, but he's also spinning it into an 'I felt, she felt' situation.

Saephon, trevorshmevor and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  10. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

Aaron Mook and BirdPerson like this.
  11. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

12. zachmacD

Trusted

Aziz definitely knew what he was doing but some of the people in this thread crack me up. Calling someone stupid or a moron because they disagree or don't understand a topic is ineffective. When you're verbally shaming someone, it doesn't help change their view at all. They just think that you're an asshole and why would they side with someone who calls them names for disagreeing or not fully understanding a subject. If you think you're good people because you fight for women's rights, which is an amazing thing, yet you call a complete stranger a moron on the internet, you've got some introspection to do. If you really wanted to help the person see the "right" way of thinking, you use compassion and try to point them in the right direction.

The person you call a moron, may not post here anymore but they are still a part of this world thinking what they already thought and just sharing their thoughts somewhere else. Sure, if they share their view at other places and they get enough push-back, they may change their mind but maybe not. Even if they do end up changing their mind due to pushback from multiple people or message boards, how many people have they already shared their existing view with before they changed their minds and now those people are sharing that belief. What you post online is so much more important than you think. When you call someone an idiot, to me, it comes off like you can't debate the topic in a manner that you'll win.

13. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

What is the overall view of the actual original article, as a piece? I've seen critiques of it, which of course is distracting from the actual point, and a conversation that does need to happen, but for example:
    I don't really understand why they would feel the need to portray that part in such a way? That sentence, for me, trivializes what follows, because it's such a stupidly irrelevant and petty detail, attempting to portray a forcefulness where there is none at play, and alluding to some type of consent. Which just seems in bad taste, given what the article is about.

Another talking point is how it says:
    So we're saying that it would be okay for an 18-year old to do that? I appreciated it's nuanced, but in this particular situation, I feel its fairly black and white. Pressuring women for sex, at any age, is not okay. Yes, he's famous, and talks about these sorts of subjects a lot, but that doesn't mean he's any more developed when it comes to interactions with women than perhaps a highly confident 18-year old would be. Again, it's more nuanced than that, but I don't know.

The way this is framed as well, would make anyone think Aziz sexually assaulted her. I don't believe what was written would be that, but am I wrong in thinking so?

chris likes this.
  14. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Counterpoint: Terry is a poster with toxic views that can fuck right off.

15. zachmacD

Trusted

I'll post this again just for you. I'm not saying that his view isn't toxic but you're not helping.

16. tyramail

Trusted Supporter

This. He also came in with a tone that wasn’t going to be construed as someone with a different view just wanting to share their side. He came in with a belittling tone with a negative message.

Aaron Mook, dylan and SuNDaYSTaR like this.
  17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

He's not coming here to have his mind changed. This can fuck right off too.

18. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Plenty of people responded to that poster in earnest, despite their first post clearly indicating that they did not want an actual dialogue. They followed that up by completely ignoring those posts and throwing out a useless link suggesting the victim could be clamoring for attention.

That first post was meant to be trolling. Plain and simple.

Jason Tate likes this.
  19. zachmacD Jan 16, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 16, 2018)
    zachmacD

Trusted

Because it's a line of text, that's up to interpretation. Even though I disagree with his post, I saw it as someone asking a question. This goes for so many more threads than just this one. Everyone of these threads is full of this name calling. As liberals, we are supposed to be progressive. Even if he was being demeaning, it doesn't mean you have to respond the same way. And this guy has the same view as he did before. To me, when you see someone with a truly toxic view, we should be doing everything in our power to help change their mind before they leave the conversation. I think we'd all agree it's that important.

christsizedshoes likes this.
  20. zachmacD

Trusted

Dude, you are kidding yourself if you think you're a mind reader. Maybe mind reader is a bad phrase do to the contents of the article but you don't know what he's thinking. Maybe he doesn't know how to communicate effectively.

21. lightning

well did anyone hit the report button to get the mods' attention =P

22. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

I ain't no snitch.

23. lightning

this is a public forum they can see it anyway lol

24. scottlechowicz

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I think they communicated the exact message that they wanted to communicate.

25. dylan

Most-liked person on chorus Supporter

at no point did @Terry , a 41 year old white man based off his profile pic and profile information, ask for guidance, information, additional resources, or ask for an opportunity to be educated or told why his initial reaction was wrong. I've been on the internet long enough to know when someone has the opportunity to change their mind or not through a discussion. Terry's approach shows no signs of him wanting to do that, especially since he preemptively shielded himself from criticism with the last sentence of his initial post showing he doesn't want even a discussion, he wants to post and then act like a victim when he gets called out for his shitty views. People like Terry don't change their mind through an online forum article comments section with anonymous posters calling him a moron, you're right. Terry will change his mind if/when he seeks out information on his own or someone he knows personally approaches him about it. For now, it's best to tell Terry to fuck off and report him for posting victim-blaming and problematic things everywhere he goes and shut him and his rape culture enabling rhetoric down.