Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avenue 5 (HBO, January 2020) TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Anthony_, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

HBO News - Avenue 5

2. Dave Diddy

Grief is only love that’s got no place to go Supporter

I love Veep, hopefully this can recreate some of that magic

3. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Got to “Veep” and was sold.

4. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

looks fun

5. mad

I was right. Prestigious

oh hell yeah

6. Anthony_

I guess this is gonna get paired with Curb?

7. First episode was underwhelming.

8. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Pilot wasn't hilarious but I can see some potential for sure.

I actually totally caught Hugh Laurie's accent slipping a couple times earlier in the episode but I thought it was unintentional lol

9. Ada Fischer

Video is unavailable... was it taken down or could be because of my location?

10. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I thought this was hilarious, looking forward to more

11. Anthony_

This was definitely more of a “dutifully set up the plot and characters” kind of pilot, as opposed to the Veep pilot in which the series just seemed to spring to life fully formed and hit the ground running. Really intrigued by the world-building and the cast is pretty fantastic. Definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes, I’m in for whatever Iannucci does from here on out.

CarpetElf likes this.
  12. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

This didn’t really feel like an HBO show to me. Love Hugh to death and a lot of Iannucci’s work, but I don’t know if I’ll keep going with this one.

He never slips! That was one of the few things I enjoyed about the episode. Good setup and they didn’t drag out the payoff.

Also I’m trying to figure out if the shots of the ship repairs were an intentional Red Dwarf reference or not, but being reminded of that show just kind of made me wish I was watching it instead.

13. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

It felt more like a Comedy Central show, but with better production and fewer jokes

Maybe one day it will reach Veep quality and we can look back on this post

14. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

I’ll stick with it for now but I definitely thought the pilot was lacking. There seem to be a lot of moving parts so I’ll give it a chance to set up before judging.

plus it is great to watch Hugh do his thing.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

a real mess

Maybevictor likes this.
  16. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

great cast to give up after one episode.

17. lati

formerly spaghettti Supporter

Just watched episode 2 and it’s still pretty weak. At least the physics isn’t dreadfully wrong.

18. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I caught up on the last two episodes and it’s pretty boring. Might keep up with it, idk

19. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I’m definitely done unless something major changes and reviews are totally glowing after the complete season airs.

aliens exist likes this.
  20. Damn after the initial reactions, I figured I'd hold off and binge it when it finishes, but I may just pass on it altogether. Sucks because I love Hugh Laurie.

21. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

It still hasn't made me laugh at all but the story is kind of interesting at least and I like the visuals

I'll at least finish the season

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Even though the first 3 episode have been underwhelming, I have faith in Iannucci and will probably stick with it throughout the season.

23. Maybevictor

@maybevictor Prestigious

Has anybody kept up with this? Curious if it got any better.

24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Most recent episode was actually pretty funny. I'm sticking with the show just because I'm curious to see how it ends but I might not watch next season if it never gets any better than this

25. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I dropped it after the third episode