Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avengers 4: Endgame (Joe & Anthony Russo April 26, 2019) Movie • Page 112

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 23, 2018.

1. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

love jenny

2. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

After the estimates this week its at 2.73 bil and still 58 million off. I cant imagine its gonna beat Avatar. So close and yet so far. Oh well. still mind boggling.

3. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I just wanna know how much Avatar 2 makes.

4. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If it doesn’t beat it then Disney is definitely going to do a re-release

5. Lepi182

Trusted Supporter

I can definitely see them doing an Infinity War/Endgame double feature rerelease.

6. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I don’t really care about box office but I still kind of like that Avatar is still number one. I’d rather an original IP be the thing to surpass it, though it’d be hilarious if Avatar 2 did

7. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

I’d almost be willing to bet Avatar 2 makes less than half what the original did, depending on how advanced Cameron has taken the technology.

8. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I don't get, at all, how Avatar is still number one. Blows my mind.

Zach and RyanPm40 like this.
  9. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I am with you. When I think of biggest box office movie ever, Avatar just doesn’t “feel” like it should be. What do I know. It’s a great technical achievement, but there are definitely better/bigger movies out there, even by James Cameron!

10. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Yeah, I am with you. When I think of biggest box office movie ever, Avatar just doesn’t “feel” like it should be. What do I know. It’s a great technical achievement, but there are definitely better/bigger movies out there, even by James Cameron!

11. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Not only that, but I don't know very many people that even saw it, versus let's say Star Wars or End Game.

12. Nathan

Nearly $2.8 billion worth of people saw it lol

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  13. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah, no, I get that. But I just don't know where those people are.

14. TomG

Trusted Supporter

15. Davjs

Trusted

Avatar makes sense to me, it was an event film and everyone was hyped on the 3D which I'm sure drove up ticket prices. It was also geared towards all ages so everyone saw it, child to grandparent.

I know I just described SW and Endgame too, minus the 3D, but I sill understand how it's number 1.

16. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Yeah Avatar was huge when it came out. I remember my grandparents took me and my sisters and loving it at the time. Looking back, the story was far from unique

17. dlemert

Trusted

What's really crazy is when you adjust for inflation Avatar is a far distant second to Gone With the Wind - by about $500 million. I didn't know that many moviegoers even existed in 1939!

18. TEGCRocco

Assume It's A Bit

Avatar capitalized on groundbreaking technology and became the go-to movie for 3D, pretty heavily inflating ticket prices (I remember seeing someone do the math and Endgame has sold more tickets than Avatar). Then factor in it having a holiday release window and no real competition, it's not that crazy that it did so well.

Davjs and RyanPm40 like this.
  19. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Avatar is kind of like the Nickelback of movies. Like clearly lots of people actually DO like them, I’ve just never met them.

Greg and RyanPm40 like this.
  20. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

I liked Avatar a lot.

21. Nathan

It's better than Infinity War. Around the same quality as Endgame and most MCU movies. It's technological achievement is more significant for film than anything the MCU has ever done, though the MCU has a couple movies solidly better than it.

Dinosaurs Dish likes this.
  22. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Avatar was in cinemas for 11 months. That helped it a lot.

23. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

I liked Avatar and saw it 2-3 times in theaters ten years ago, but I haven't watched it since. The land/ride in Disney is fantastic though.

24. [removed]

Trusted Prestigious

Avatar sequels have potential, especially if they do some world building.

Davjs likes this.
  25. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Technological achievement doesn’t replace the onslaught of boredom that ensues once you hit play. Never got the hype for it when I saw it when it came out, and it doesn’t even remotely hold up.

Has potential but that first movie is garbage outside of the 3D aspect

tvck likes this.