Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avengers 4: Endgame (Joe & Anthony Russo April 26, 2019) Movie • Page 105

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 23, 2018.

1. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

I can’t believe I didn’t put that together myself, of course that’s who they cast her as.

beachdude, DrAlanGrant and Dodger like this.
  2. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Id assume the same reason. It wouldve been weird since we arent really connected to anybody in Bruce's life. I think it wouldve messed with the pace at that point in the movie as well.

In my headcannon Im going to say both Hulk and Tony had a similar moment to Thanos. Tony did have one with Morgan and Bruce with maybe Betty Ross? But they just arent shown

3. Bane

The spiciest meme

well yea that's why I'm saying it doesn't make much sense for Tony to get one and then Hulk is the odd one out.

Although actually that could have been a neat time to bring Nat back and have a bit more closure with her.

Dodger likes this.
  4. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Shit that wouldve been a great parallel since Nat died the same way as Gamora. I just cant imagine what shed say to him that would make that encounter satisfying enough between them to warrant such a big stop in the pace.

5. Bane

The spiciest meme

oh for sure the pacing wouldn't really allow it to happen. But I like the idea of it.

Dodger likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

eww don't make the cute line creepy

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  8. BHS1985

[​IMG]Just realized that Sebastian Stan exists as a separate character in the MCU independent of the Winter Soldier thanks to the Hot Tub Time Machine reference.

9. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

So does Samuel L. Jackson, since Star Wars exists in the MCU

Mrplum5089 and Dodger like this.
  10. aoftbsten May 6, 2019
    (Last edited: May 7, 2019)
    aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

This was solid. I'm glad I finally got around to watching the Captain America movies a couple weeks ago, because it definitely enhanced his story and ending for me. I never really felt the length, but I do think they could have trimmed a few minutes here and there. The big battle went at least five minutes too long, but I can see how it would have been more satisfying for someone more invested in this universe. It did kind felt like it was just Infinity War repeated again near the end (sacrificing someone for the soul stone, smaller battle with Thanos, then there's the big battle with Thanos army). When they killed Thanos at the beginning, I was pretty excited because I could see the movie being more about fighting with yourself (and that was definitely part of it) than a big bad. It was still entertaining when he came back into the fold, but I was way more interested when it was a more character level story.

I really loved all the little character moments in the time travel sequences. I like the way they setup their own time travel rules too. And the first act was devastating, but in a good way that makes the ending feel more important. It was cool as hell when Cap pulled Thor's hammer. A nice callback and payoff to Ultron when it moves a little.
    My only questions:

1) What happened to Gamora? I don't recall seeing her get killed or disappear. She was just gone? I'm assuming I just missed it.

2) I do really love Cap's ending, but didn't Peggy marry one of the guys he rescues in The First Avenger? Is Cap a homewrecker now?

Joe, Mrplum5089, Dodger and 2 others like this.
  11. GBlades

Trusted

I assume that's what Guardians 3 will be all about since we seen Quill and Thor pull a picture of her up at the end.

aoftbsten and Rowan5215 like this.
  12. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

when they killed Thanos in the first act was when I sat up and really started to take everything in because the feeling of "I have absolutely no idea where they go from here" kicked in and that very rarely happens with blockbusters nowadays

13. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

That’s my assumption too, I just didn’t see her or some hint she left the battle. Happy she’ll be there for the third one. Guardians 2 is definitely my favorite of these movies.

14. Anthony_

The Peggy in Cap's timeline married someone else. The Peggy in the alternate timeline Cap created by staying in the past didn't.

15. tvck

Trusted

lol Cap being a homewrecker. Totally on brand

/s

AndrewSoup likes this.
  16. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Yea, it's a big reason why I liked the 1st hour the most and then was kind of disappointed when they brought him back into the fold near the end.
    I guess I need to wrap my head around the time travel in the movie a little more. I thought any alternative timelines were supposed to be closed when he took the infinity stones back to their original times.

Rowan5215 likes this.
  17. Anthony_

I think that just stabilized the timelines, it didn't close off any other ones. They made a point to say that it's not possible to change the past of their own timeline, only to affect the future of the timelines they jump into.

aoftbsten likes this.
  18. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

Ahh, yep this makes more sense. Looking back at Hulk's first explanation and then his conversation with Tilda Swinton. Thanks!

Although I guess this means the timelines merge somehow since Cap is there at the end? Time travel/alternate timelines hurt my head haha.

19. Anthony_

Cap coming back at the end is the only thing that doesn't make complete sense. That video I posted the other day theorized that Cap probably met up with that timeline's Tony Stark and had him design a way for him to go back or something lol.

20. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

The Russo brothers confirmed that Cap held onto the return device for his whole life in the separate timeline with Peggy, and only used the device to come home as an old man to pass the torch to Falcon. So, the timelines did actually stay separate

aoftbsten likes this.
  21. aoftbsten

Trusted Supporter

I'll check it out. Slowly catching up on the thread.
    I didn't think about that. Thanks!

Anthony_ likes this.
  22. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Haven't the directors and writers both basically conflicted each other? I know the Russos said that it was a different reality, but I thought I read the writers didn't think that was the case. I don't think there's a true answer. For me, unless it's shown otherwise in an actual movie/show, I'll stick with the idea that Peggy's "other husband" was Cap all along and they just keep that a secret between them, because I'd much rather Cap have his happy ending in his own reality, and it works for me.

Greg and Dodger like this.
  23. Bane

The spiciest meme

It's not exactly the same methods but if you've never seen Steins;Gate and want some more time travel that is sort of similar you should try that out

ngl having watched it not too long before Endgame it helped me be pretty on the ball with how it worked in Endgame

24. Anthony_

I said this a few pages back but it seems to me that it's a combination of both a different time and a different reality. They're basically saying that alternate timelines and alternate realities are one and the same. It's the only way that any of the other things in the movie make sense really lol

25. the rural juror May 7, 2019
    (Last edited: May 7, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Well I finally saw it. I liked it. I thought the good outweighed the bad.

The good:

- Captain America wielding Mjolnir. Best part of the movie. Completely earned, chill-inducing, and a clever callback to the party scene in Ultron. Loved it.

- Nebula. Who would have thought a sub-villain from GotG would have the most interesting and nuanced arc? Not me, but I’m glad it happened.

- Thanos. Easily the best MCU villain and maybe 2nd best comic book villain behind Ledger’s Joker? Such an interesting and twisted villain, and Brolin elevates the role a lot.

- Fat Thor. Amazing. Please put him in GotG 3. Also really loved the scene with him and his mother. Hemsworth’s growth over the course of these movies has been the most impressive.

- The actors in general. I believe most movies live and die by the direction and writing, but the MCU movies are carried by their actors, especially Downey and Evans, with some great stuff by Johansson, Hemsworth, and Rudd too. I hope whoever handles casting at Marvel got a nice bonus.

- The chemistry between Tom Holland and Robert Downey Jr. I’m going to miss those two together.

The not-so-good:

- Captain Marvel. Why isn’t this working? I can’t figure it out. I think Larson is a fantastic actress, but as Captain Marvel, she has no charisma. It’s frustrating.

- Bucky Barnes. Man, no love for the Winter Soldier in this movie, huh?

- Cap’s ending. I actually liked what we got, but think I would have preferred if he just hadn’t come back at all. I guess you gotta let the other heroes know he’s safe, and drop the shield off, but I would have preferred if he had just blown past his time stamp and then we see him with Peggy.

- The “girl power moment”. I found it incredibly over the top. Like I could hear the corporate suits at Marvel’s PR department high fiving each other.

- Not a criticism, but how old is Jeremy Renner? I don’t think I noticed until this movie, but that dude looks...weathered.

St. Nate and Oskarr like this.