Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avengers 4: Endgame (Joe & Anthony Russo April 26, 2019) Movie • Page 104

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Henry, May 23, 2018.

1. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Sure, but most aren’t built in a stupid gimmick like 3D. The quality of the movie van dictate if a movie is worthy or not. Avatar is not worthy.

2. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

3D = gimmick and “not worthy” but the MCU isn’t filled with gimmicks but is worthy, lmao

3. Greg

Never said MCU didn’t have gimmicks.

It’s far more worthy than Avatar. Avatar is a one trick pony. It’s shallow nonsense. MCU isn’t the deepest stuff out there, by any means, but there is way more depth than Avatar has.

currytheword likes this.
  4. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I think they’re both sides of the same coin: purposefully basic characters and stories so most the money and time can be spent on visuals, action, etc...

5. Greg

The characters in Avatar are forgettable. The same can’t be said for the MCU.

6. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

It’s all subjective and neither of us will convince the other, so agree to disagree.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

If you play the "worthy" or "deserve" game then we circle back to movies that never make a tenth of what these movies make. Citizen Kane, Moonlight, Tree of Life, Singin' in the Rain, the list of movies better, and thus more "deserving" than the like, five top grossing movies of all time is near endless. The connection of quality to box office gross is near meaningless.

8. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Also - Marvel has the deck stacked way higher than Avatar. When Avatar was released, not all theaters were properly equipped for 3-D. Now, with “Endgame,” there are numerous premium movie experiences that people pay extra for, like IMAX, Dolby Surround Theater, 3-D, etc. And since it’s been the only big movie released in the past two weeks, it’s been able to benefit from that by taking up all those theaters.

beachdude likes this.
  9. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

Personally, I did not like avatar.

Greg likes this.
  10. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I honestly liked Avatar at the time, but it's not memorable much at all for me independent of the innovative effects. It really feels like one of those time and place movies now... which is why I can't imagine the like 4 or however many sequels James Cameron is planning will do THAT well. I'm hoping I'm proven wrong though and they're good.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. I noticed that too!
    Also Zoe and Chris Pine are both in Avatar and Star Trek but Pine is in the DCEU instead of the MCU.

GrantCloud likes this.
  12. DC was like, We want a Chris, too!

13. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

Who is Chris Pine in Avatar?

14. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah at first I was still in the mentality of movies like Back to the Future, where if you change your past you affect your present. But this movie presents time travel as a combination of moving through time and between parallel timelines/realities simultaneously. Once you stop thinking about it in terms of other time travel media and consider it based on its own rules it makes more sense. You can’t change your own past, you can only change the future for yourself in an alternate timeline.

Zach likes this.
  15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Avatar blew my fucking mind when I saw it in theaters. It was my first 3D movie and I thought it looked incredible. The story is bland and the villain is laughable, but that shit was a spectacle.

RyanPm40, beachdude and Zilla like this.
  16. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

what are Tessa and Hemsworth talking about haha, I love that they're friends

17. Davjs

Trusted

Pure perfection. Can't believe a movie like this exists. So happy the marketing showed next to nothing and soooo many actors from all over the MCU came back just for short cameos. Never has fan service and call backs been so spot on.

No complaints.

18. Davjs

Trusted

Also, Howard the Duck showing up was great even if you never got to see him do anything. That may be my only slight complaint.

19. AndrewSoup, iCarly Rae Jepsen and Tim like this.
  20. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Especially when they're somehow all handsome af dudes named Chris

21. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

The neat thing about the time travel theory they present in Endgame is that it's pretty much what Ryan North (writer of Squirrel Girl) describes in his recent book, How to Invent Everything. It's a pretty awesome book.

22. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

I wouldve loved the parallels from Infinity War and all, but I get why she was cut.

23. Agree with the decision to cut that, but it would've been cool to see as a deleted scene or something.

beachdude and Dodger like this.
  24. Bane

The spiciest meme

yea that was a good call, also brings up the question why would Tony get something like that to match when Thanos snapped, but not Hulk?