Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avenged Sevenfold Band • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Oct 26, 2016.

1. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

2. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Threw in waking the fallen and mostly regret it lol

4. Cmoney86

Trusted

apparently the new album is done

5. What's Elon Musk doing with them?

6. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I feel like the idea of Elon Musk going by a stage name Synyster Gates would be entirely on brand for him.

Crisp X likes this.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Only words I can come up with on the new album is "theatrical clown rock"

8. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Clown seems pejorative. Unless you mean like a sad clown, like tragicomedy? Not sure I really get it.

9. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

More just the image that my brain generates when listening to it, for some reason. But yeah, this really isn't my vibe at all; Waking The Fallen was my jam when it came out, but I haven't really liked anything they've put out since.

10. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

I guess I see Waking The Fallen the same way I do FOB's Cork Tree. It's a good album and has the DNA of what they'd become, but it's still a little too generic compared to the more varied and vibrant palette they'd paint with in the future.

11. WadeCastle

Trusted Supporter

12. Penlab Oct 2, 2023
    (Last edited: Oct 2, 2023)
    Penlab

Trusted Supporter

Cannot disagree more with having Nightmare and the self-titled over City Of Evil, The Stage, and the new album.

EDIT: To clarify, I feel like having a concept to work around and removing their creative brakes has allowed Avenged to really go above and beyond as a band with progressive elements and artistry.

The self-titled, while great, sounded like it had one ear toward mainstream success, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, I think the fact that both The Stage and Life Is But A Dream seem unconcerned with being adaptable for radio works to their benefit.

Meanwhile, Nightmare to me is a harder album to digest; less accessible but not any more interesting for it. It's got good songs, but it's also got a few that are just kind of boring, IMO, to the point of almost being formulaic.

City Of Evil, I think worked because it wasn't deliberately accessible but managed it anyway on the strength of the songs. The Stage and Life Is But A Dream feel like they go closer to achieving that balance than the others.

150Wrds likes this.