Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avenged Sevenfold Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Fox83

Trusted

I feel the same way. Instrumentally it's very impressive, but it's like they forgot how to write a hook or a chorus. I won't say that the band is incapable of writing good stuff without The Rev though. If they could combine the arena rock of Hail To The King with this album, it would be decent. Not great, but decent.

2. fishguts182

Regular

Agreed. I am glad they did not release another Hail to the King or an even worse album.

3. atlas

Trusted

I can't really say I actively enjoy of this band's material anymore but I really did not think Hail to the King was that bad. Yes it wore its influences on its sleeve super hard but it was kind of refreshing hearing them not be overindulgent for once, which has caused almost all their stuff to wear on me a lot over time.

4. canvasofwinter

Horrendous Space Kablooie

I think Hail to the King is decent. I like Shepard of Fire, the title track, Doin' Time, and especially Coming Home. Coming Home might be one of my favorite songs they've ever written, and I'm sad they never play it live.

truelovewaits likes this.
  5. I'll give this a shot, even though I haven't liked anything they've released in 10 years.

6. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

This new album is definitely not for me. It's out there.

7. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yeah not really a fan of this. Most of the songs drag on way too long without being memorable... a real shortage of catchy hooks. Plus M. Shadows is the worst he's ever sounded.

canvasofwinter likes this.
  8. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

synyster has been playing the same solos for over a decade

beachdude42 likes this.
  9. dotKev

@dotkevin

IDK, I like it. It's a grower.

10. I d
    You're the first I've heard say this.

11. canvasofwinter

Horrendous Space Kablooie

I've listened to this a few times now. It most closely reminds me of Planets and Acid Rain from HTTK, which I thought were among the most boring songs on that album. I feel like, as out-there as parts of the album are -- the AI concept, the horns, the NDT monologue over the last part of Exist -- a lot of it sounds surprisingly mundane. I was reading on Reddit that people think the solo in God Damn sounds "spacey", but to me, it just sounds like a generic chromatic Syn solo.

Say what you will about them, but Avenged Sevenfold is capable of writing songs that stand apart from each other. There's nothing else in their discography that sounds like Gunslinger, or A Little Piece of Heaven, or Sidewinder, or Save Me. Everything on The Stage strikes me as samey, not only in the context of the album itself, but of their whole discography. You could swap out most of the riffs and solos on this album and replace them with any other riff or solo from their career, and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

The "experimental" part of the album seems really superficial. It's all stuff they've done better already; here, it's just that some of the songs are longer, and are written with what feels like an intentional disregard for hooks.

I dunno, I really want to like this, but several listens deep, I think it might just not be for me.

sophos34 and beachdude42 like this.
  12. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Coming Home is by far the best track on the record

canvasofwinter likes this.
  13. beachdude

Nailed it.

14. dotKev

@dotkevin

Does anyone else feel like they have to turn the volume up louder than normal for this album compared to almost any other album? Not sure if it's the production or something else entirely, but it is needed whether I listen to it on Apple Music (streaming) or via the CD in my car.

beachdude42 likes this.
  15. beachdude

Yeah I noticed this too, seems it's mixed kind of softly.

16. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Yup, big time. It's been like that on my computer, phone or in the car. Even when the songs came on XM...

17. dotKev

@dotkevin

I don't get it. How does no one catch that prior to release?

18. marioeatworld

Keep on moving. Busy street.

I remember a few years ago I read an interview in which Matt Shadows talked about how much he hates the loudness war, and how Hail to the King was purposefully mixed so that it sounded less loud than most albums nowadays. I guess they did the same with this one.

dotKev likes this.
  19. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Hail To The King was utter garbage. This is much better. The drumming is incredible, it feels like he added his personality to the band, whilst still keeping an eye on the classic Rev drumming sound.

This doesn't quite compete with City of Evil, but it's a solid album. Love the return of all the gothic elements, it's why I loved their older material (mostly City of Evil & Nightmare). The Tim Burton/Danny Elfman parts are what really seperate them for me.

20. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

21. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

22. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

Dude every post in this thread is about that album lol

23. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Maybe it was the physical. It's been a long day.

Not a big AS fan.

24. OdeToTheSun

Ø

I'm loving The Stage actually. The title track didn't have me hooked when it was first released, but the rest of the album did it for me.

25. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

The physical came out the same day as the digital, it was a pretty big feat. It's the first time in history an album has had a surprise release with physical copies as opposed to solely digital.