Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Avatar: The Last Airbender TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by AndrewSoup, Mar 11, 2016.

1. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

Bro

wtf

RyanPm40 likes this.
  2. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Concerning, it can’t be as bad as the movie but my hopes are way down

3. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

fucking stupid. letting the guys that literally created the show guide the remake sounds like a no brainer to me. killed my excitement.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  4. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I don’t want to it anymore. If it’s not going to be what the creators intended then why even make it?

5. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

I'm always confused by people wanting to remake something popular without keeping what made the original special. I dont get it.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  6. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah I don’t even know why you would want to do a “remake” of a beloved show and then change it up so much that the creators don’t even want to touch it... If anything, just tell another story within the universe if you want more creative control.

7. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

What a fucking disappointment. There goes any excitement I had for it. Netflix going in for round 2 after that awful Death Note adaptation

8. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

let's just stop making live action adaptations of animated properties in the first place; you are adding NOTHING and it's just insulting to the original creation/creators by furthering the idea that animation is a "lesser than" form of art and live action things are more respectable for "adults"

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I would much rather they just make a new animated series. How many Avatars were there? They could easily make a whole season based around the life/some pivotal action of any one of them lol

10. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

That’s why I thought maybe live action could work for a new Avatar mini-series or something. They’ve done animation, comics, and novels for different segments of the timeline with the novels being much darker in tone. Do a live action version of Yangchen, Kuruk, or Kyoshi (as an adult) and you can play with the characters, themes, tone, etc. all you want... Not sure why it even had to be a remake of a story we already know and love.

It was already an impossibly high bar to live up to, but now that the creators are out, everyone is going to be expecting to hate it.

11. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Cancel ATLA is trending on twitter and apparently this is what made the creators ditch

8AEA1FFF-42EB-44E1-A022-8834F27E367B.jpeg

8145273A-4FE9-442B-98DD-36693C3FF6CF.jpeg

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

michael and bryan are some stand up white guys

13. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

I’m pretty sure Netflix could have polled the audience for all of these things. Do you guys want/need white people in the show? A unanimous “no”. Do you need extra romance, drama, violence, etc.? Probably also a unanimous “no”.

Again, I’m not sure why they didn’t just choose a different piece of the Avatar timeline to explore if they wanted the freedom to choose the tone, character ages, etc. Instead, they offer us a broken version of something we already have and love.

incognitojones and RyanPm40 like this.
  14. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

It really makes no sense why Netflix wants to remake Avatar and add all of this unnecessary stuff

RyanPm40 likes this.
  15. Philll

Trusted

Just sounds like netflix fundamentally don't understand the reasons people care for this show.

16. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

The Kyoshi novels did a great job of giving the universe a more serious and “adult” tone while still staying true to what people love about Avatar so...it can be done. It was like a PG-13 version of Game of Thrones almost. But this doesn’t seem like it probably would have felt anything like that.

17. youll be fine

Trusted Supporter

It could be true but Fandomwire is mostly bad, where most of this info is coming from.

Whalejaw likes this.
  18. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

Sounds like they wanted to make Avatar: the last Game of Thrones

19. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

I don’t see a problem with aging up the cast specifically. An Aang who is like 14-16 is still very much a kid and could maintain that more humorous tone. The kid in the movie always came off as way too young and small to me, and was also humorless which makes him even weirder lol

20. Marx&Recreation

Trusted

Like, in animation it’s easier to make the audience feel that an otherwise small and young character *can* be so much smarter and powerful than his adult adversaries. That doesn’t really hold true with live-action

21. Philll

Trusted

Looking into the comics, would I want to start with The Promise and read them sequentially, or does it not really matter?

22. oakhurst Aug 14, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 14, 2020)
    oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Yes, read them in order because they follow one another.

Philll likes this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

If Netflix can’t understand the cultural influences behind many of the characters and then adapt that then there is no reason to assume they’ll understand anything else.

24. extremesportist

After many recommendations, i started watching this show couple of weeks ago. At first, it looked like a regular cartoon for children, decent, but nothing special. It seriously made me wonder "how the hell is this considered to be the best cartoon of all time with 9.2 rating on IMDb?".

But, when season 2 started, the show became significantly better, and now i can't stop watching. I'm in the middle of season 3 and i will probably continue with "The Legend of Korra" after i finish.

25. finally watching Korra. season one was excellent I thought but season two went in a direction that I didn’t really like and the whole ending felt very outsized. interested to see how season three is.

rewatched Airbender before this and it holds up as one of my absolute favorite series