Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Austin Thread • Page 4

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kuri44, May 7, 2016.

1. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

We are definitely going to the All Fantasy Everything live podcast taping at The Parish.

looking to do as much walking as possible.

riotspray likes this.
  2. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

shout out AFE Texas Tour!!

shout out hodgie beats, shout out enemy of the pod Mike Malloy, shout out...

chewbacca110 likes this.
  3. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Looks like there's a Jimmy Eat Wednesday tomorrow at Barb's. I've been to a few and have found them way more fun than any of the touring emo night ventures out there. If anyone is planning on going let me know and lets grab a drink!

https://www.instagram.com/jimmyeatwed

4. Kuri44

5. Night Channels

Trusted

Damn man

6. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'm bummmmmmed

7. mynamesgeneric

Regular

How's everyone holding up?

8. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Good, I flew home to Montana. Hope all my Austin friends are doing okay.

9. Night Channels

Trusted

Everything is sort of at a standstill now.

Schools are closed through April, so I expect to become good at video games again for the first time in a decade. Trying to think of positives...

CarpetElf likes this.
  10. domotime2 Jun 15, 2021
    (Last edited: Jun 15, 2021)
    domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Been here for 4 months now. Such a mixed bag of good/bad. Overall I'm super happy I moved here for the mere fact that its very different from New Jersey/New York. And overall I love the city.

The bad;
    - its fucking hot (shocker). I don't mind it but my dogs are my children and they get heat stroke easily. It wouldn't be a big deal because there's plenty of super fun water sources for them to swim but.....
    - the water sources are mostly poison for dogs. THIS is the biggest shame of the move. I knew it would be hot but I also knew about the abundance of water things to do with dogs. Rivers, lakes, dog parks etc. But the algae is such a freaking bummer. Now I can only take them out during sunset or barking springs (which is amazing but gets crowded)
    - nothing for 7 hours in any direction. Me and wife love driving vacations but anything that's not Texas is forever. And the drives to get to anywhere New are flat/boring.
    - drivers here are trash.
    - sports radio. The topics are fine but they don't take callers. I hate listening to hosts rant about their opinion with no one giving them shit for being wrong
    - i almost forgot. FUCKING ABBOTT. I'm not used to living in a red state but this guy is fucking awful.

The good
    - amazing bars, restaurants, and tons to do. The reason people move here. It's stupid how much unique shit is here. And I can bring the dogs anywhere (its cooler at night so that works).
    - love how austin feels like a suburb city. It doesn't feel like a giant city at all. Just a long stretch of suburban neighborhoods, connected with retail highways.
    - me and wife are making more money...paying less rent, shorter work commutes.
    - i love warm nights
    - a smorgasbord of people. You legit never know who you're gonna run into.
    - my apartment is in the hills near lake travis and its gorgeous driving through the California like canyons. Austin overall is beautiful. So much nature (no big hikes, but small walks)

I'll revise this list after 8 months.

Its been a fun move

11. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

going to Austin in a couple weeks for Limp Bizkit - probably gonna be traveling alone

looking for some low key/casual, maybe local places to eat. Nothing too fancy. Even if it's just a burrito joint or whatever.

12. Night Channels

Trusted

Do you know what part of the city you'll be staying in?

13. riotspray Aug 4, 2021
    (Last edited: Aug 4, 2021)
    riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

Not yet, but I'm gonna be going to shows at The Empire Garage, Germania Insurance Amphitheater and Stubbs Waller Creek so anywhere around those places would be awesome!

Also if you have any recommendations for places to stay near by, that'd be cool too. I was looking at airbnb to try to save money, but I dunno for sure yet... I'd kinda like a hotel/motel nearby - I probably will only be need it for a place to sleep and shower.

edit: also, if anyone has any info/tips about those venues, that'd be cool. I have lawn tickets for the show at Germania... wondering how difficult it is to sneak down to the seats or if they offer upgrades at the box office.

14. Night Channels

Trusted

I’ll send you some food recs and places tonight.

Germania is way south in Del Valle…parking can be a shitshow and it’s out of the way. It’s about 15ish miles from downtown.

riotspray likes this.
  15. Night Channels

Trusted

There’s an awesome restaurant called Koriente right across from Empire. They might be takeout only with covid ramping up.

Stubbs and Empire will likely be heavily surrounded with mostly crazy homeless people. That’s the one true downside of the Red River district.

Lots of food trucks are near there though…

riotspray likes this.
  16. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

good to know... I may opt to just go to those venues just for the shows then and go elsewhere to walk around/eat.

17. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Self-quoting because I am FINALLY headed to Austin next weekend... 2 years later. For a wedding this time, not a taping of All Fantasy Everything that doesn't happen because of a pandemic.

My fiancee and I are staying at the Aloft Downtown and have Franklin BBQ preordered, so I can check that off the list. Easy Tiger is also gonna happen. Would love some more recs for day-drinking, local coffee, and good tex-mex.

JRGComedy likes this.
  18. Night Channels

Trusted

Coffee: Barrett’s is the best but it’s a little north of downtown. I'd check out Mozart's. It's right on Lake Austin. Super relaxing spot.

Tex-Mex: Matt's El Rancho (get the Bob Armstrong Dip)

Tacos: Rosita's Al Pastor, Cuantos Tacos, Veracruz, or Juan in a Million

chewbacca110 and JRGComedy like this.
  19. domotime2

You can skip Easy tiger.

Drinking well. Day drinking especially? Hmm..

Hula hut = might be corny but its a rare place actually on the water and the drinks are stiff.

Radio = great coffee/bar combo place. This is one of those places that makes Austin so great. Chill outdoor patio with food trucks and great beer, coffee and cocktails.

Rainey street = it can get douchey but I'm still a fan. Great concept of turning all the old houses into outdoor bars.

Austin eastciders + barton saloon combo = biker bar and cider place are side by side..and then you can take a walk to barton springs .

Man honestly I can go forever with drinking suggestions. Its legit what Austin is known for.

chewbacca110 likes this.
  20. domotime2

Avoid dirty 6th and you'll be fine

Brent likes this.
  21. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Night Channels likes this.
  22. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Anyone want 2 tickets to Joyce Manor tonight? Dashboard won out with the girlfriend.

23. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

Is anyone here a musician who really wants to write songs inspired by but not ripping off 00s emo and lives in Austin? I have a bunch of song ideas I want to develop, I've been in a band before w/ another songwriter and it's a setup I'd like to try again...

24. genericities

instagram.com/pegasusrides_

I'm likely working both weekends of ACL again this year, the lineup is wiiiild, I'm stoked. Alanis, Tegan, 1975, Ethel Cain, Shania :heart:

Getting into country in my mid 20s wasn't a turn of events I expected but Austin has a way of seeping into ya

domotime2 and JRGComedy like this.
  25. Night Channels

Trusted

Austin sucks