Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Austin Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kuri44, May 7, 2016.

1. Night Channels

Trusted

What kind of stuff do you prefer? Here are some of my favorites that we've tried out so far...

Migas breakfast taco (on flour) at Vera Cruz All Natural

Kemuri Tatsu-ya for surprisingly some of the best smoked meat in Austin (their other restaurant Ramen Tatsu-ya has great ramen too)

Cosmic Coffee on South Congress has a pretty sweet flea market on Saturdays and the Leroy and Lewis food truck is usually there.

Franklin's has an absurd line Friday, Saturday, and especially Sunday. Try to go during the week if you can. Grab some of the fatty brisket and some sides.

JRGComedy likes this.
  2. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Awesome, these all sound great! I've already been to Waterloo Records many times and loved it, but are there any other record stores I should know about?

3. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Food:
    Terry Black's BBQ, Leroy and Lewis, La Barbeque are all A+++ Texas BBQ options if you don't feel like waiting for Franklin's
    Uchi/Uchiko (Sushi) - Expensive but their Sake Social happy hour (5-6:30 daily) is a great deal, best sushi in town (
    Suerte - Bougie tacos
    Homeslice Pizza - NY Style
    Via 313 - Detroit Style Pizza
    El Chilito - Great breakfast tacos
    Torchy's Tacos - Austin taco chain
    P Terry's - Austin burger chain

Shows:
    Margin Walker put on the majority of the shows I see here, once a year (January) they offer limited numbers of "fan club" memberships that give you a pair of tickets to any Margin Walker show each month for $150, works out to be like $6 a ticket.

Comedy Clubs:
    Fallout Theater
    Velveeta Club
    Cap City Comedy

JRGComedy likes this.
  4. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Thank you so much! Did Home slice pizza and Torchys last week and they were both kick-ass!

5. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Anyone going to see The Dangerous Summer tomorrow at Mohawk?

JRGComedy likes this.
  6. Night Channels

Trusted

Yeah dude

My fiance and I will be there most likely

7. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yes I will be there too

8. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Cool, I'll be the tall dude in a black La Dispute shirt. Come and say hi, always down to meet some new people here.

Night Channels and JRGComedy like this.
  9. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

I'll be the dude in the black Menzingers After the Party shirt haha

Night Channels likes this.
  10. mynamesgeneric

Regular

First time seeing a show indoors at Mohawk last night, always surprised at how low The Dangerous Summer's draw is. Last night was also the first time I've had to move at a show due to the body odor coming off of the women in front of me.

11. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Yo the whole place was smelly haha. Who were you?

12. Night Channels

Trusted

Yeah, it was funky in there.

Super impressed by the drummer from Head North that played with Have Mercy.

I think the lower attendance had more to do with it being a summer Monday than anything else.

Great show. It’s tough to see AJ still doing some of the same things, but I guess he’s doing a little better.

13. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Can't believe I didn't meet either of you two, that place had like 75 people in it

14. mynamesgeneric

Regular

I showed up just as Have Mercy was wrapping up and posted up against the soundbooth for TDS' set. I'll be at American Football later in the month and I'm debating on NFG in July. NFG is one of the few bands I've never seen live, feel like I probably should do that while I can.

JRGComedy likes this.
  15. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Lol you and I showed up almost at the same time. I might be at NFG too. I also haven't seen them and have a renewed interest since Makes Me Sick came out.

16. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

My birthday today, what's good Austin birthday activity?

17. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Oh man, hope you found something to do for your birthday! If you haven't been to a Jimmy Eat Wednesday's at Barbarella yet you should check it out, it's Austin's version of Emo Night and it's usually the first Wednesday of each month. This month's is on 7/3 and it's the 4 year anniversary. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the 4th of July than screaming songs I listened to 10 years ago with likeminded folks.

https://www[.]facebook[.]com/events/1147587665447458/

Jimmy Eat Wednesday (@jimmyeatwed) • Instagram photos and videos

JRGComedy likes this.
  18. mynamesgeneric

Regular

Anyone catching Senses Fail or Ceremony next week? I'm definitely going to Senses Fail, considering Ceremony if only to watch kids mosh to their new album.

19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Nope, unfortunately. I'll be at Bad Religion next month though!

20. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Putting my two week notice in tomorrow without another job lined up and I am... nervous

21. mynamesgeneric

Regular

You're a braver man than I! Though there are much worse places to job hunt than Austin. I'd buy you a moral support beer at Bad Religion but looks like I'm not going to be in town.

JRGComedy likes this.
  22. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

No worries at all! Already got a few prospects haha.

You gonna be at Menzingers in Nov?

23. Kuri44

24. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Anybody wanna hire me? Lol

25. mynamesgeneric

Regular

I'll be there tomorrow! First show in a while I've wanted to catch more than just the headliner. I'm on guest list through the Margin Walker fan club and have an extra +1 if anyone here is interested.

JRGComedy likes this.