Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem (October 6, 2017) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

you cant make it through messengers but you can their other stuff? just curious. the songs dont sound much different imo.

2. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

this is my best friends fave band and hes taking me to see them friday so well see how it goes

Gooddayz likes this.
  3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Phantom Anthem, Rescue and Restore, and Thrill Seeker seem to be alot better than their other stuff. But all of it has the same sound except TS. Weird.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  4. Gooddayz

always and forever

Don't hate on Constellations now

theagentcoma likes this.
  5. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Constellations is god tier

Gooddayz likes this.
  6. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I liked it. I like those 3 albums alot more I think. Ocean of Apathy and Escape Artist are a couple of their best tracks iirc. The production is extra weird on it too by comparison to their others. I remember it lacking low end and being muddier.

7. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'll be at the show Friday too... assuming I'm not getting sick.

Your Milkshake likes this.
  8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Good lord FIFAP is soo long and I didnt enjoy it

9. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

my friend bought one of those tables. we were trying to find one more person to sit with us and split the price. idk if ur interested.

10. Gooddayz

always and forever

Escape Artist is top tier for sure. I liked the production a lot more than Messengers, but that improved as they went along. I can't do Thrill Seeker though, not having Jake just feels weird to me.

11. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

The old guy kinda sounds more ferocious imo

Hes really very good

suicidesaints likes this.
  12. trevorshmevor Jan 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2018)
    Yeah, imo Messengers is just a series of unmemorable guitar parts poorly mashed together with the only real intention being to reach the next breakdown. Any part in any one of those songs could be subbed out for one another and you'd never know the difference. I won't act like they became a vastly different band or anything, but even by Constellations they were refining their songwriting -- the relationship of those fast riffs and the china-riddled breakdowns was much more leveled. Transitions got a lot better, the riffs were way catchier, they tried clean vocals on a song, had many tasteful and well placed solos, and experimented with more dynamics than just "fast and heavy always" (Ocean, Mariana's, Meridian, Crusade).

Unfortunately they prematurely tired to go more out of the box with Leveler and it came out extremely half baked, but R&R is fantastic and Phantom Anthem is solid as well. FIFAW is pretty shit though.

redwing91007 and Your Milkshake like this.
  13. Gooddayz

always and forever

It's got some great moments though! Like the ending to Martyr and I will forever defend Broken Promises as one of their best. That was my complaint with PA.. it didn't reach the highs of FIFAP imo, but at the same time it doesn't reach the lows either haha.

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Alot of the time that is what I feel when Im listening to them... that some songs' whole point is just to transition to the next breakdown

they get some riff going and its cool, it lasts 5 seconds, drums get heavier and do blast beats for 2 seconds, and then bam breakdown

I wish theyd groove some riffs and blast beat them for a while. would be way more interesting and fun.

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I think PA has a lot more and higher highs but its been a while since ive heard FIFAP. I wasnt really a fan. Obviously not bad though.

Gooddayz likes this.
  16. They perform well live. Jake does a great job of riling the crowd up. I think I've seen them 4-5 times though and it's never been like "amazing" or anything, it just kind of is what it is. There's never really any cool production or anything, just some dudes playing some breakdowns and JB hopping on boxes so people and see him solo better lol. Matt is very fun to watch -- he makes shit look so easy

17. Always go back and forth between R&R and Constellations as their best, it's a really tough call. I think Constellations is my favorite but R&R is like their actual best, most comprehensive and well put together work

Gooddayz likes this.
  18. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Consumer off Thrill Seeker has the very best breakdown Ive ever heard. It should be a classic.

It should be like undisputed champ of those fuckin youtube breakdown compilation vids lol

suicidesaints likes this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Yall may laugh but Thrill Seeker is probably their most influential album

the only big names around in 2005 and prior doing "metalcore inspired by thrash and tech death riffs" were Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, and Unearth. Thrill Seeker shits all over those.

they defintely turned heads with it and then the metalcore landscape boomed from there

its a well put together and enjoyable heavy romp

now theyre doing their more progressive thing but that stuffs been going on for a very long time before they got to it

riotspray and suicidesaints like this.
  20. Gooddayz

always and forever

You're actually making me want to revisit Thrill Seeker.. it's been awhile

suicidesaints and Your Milkshake like this.
  21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Thrill Seeker owns. Definitely my favorite.

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I've already got tickets but thanks for the offer!

23. trevorshmevor Jan 30, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 30, 2018)
    Nah I think you're right, at least partially. Disagree with it being the "most" influential, but it really did a great job adding a fresh coat of paint to the sorta stale mid-00's metalcore that was happening at the time. I feel like a lot of those bands wanted to make a record like Thrill Seeker but couldn't really commit or find the right formula.

Personally, I don't really give that record enough credit, I think in the past when ranking their records I haven't even included it. There are some rock solid jams on it though that I've definitely forgetting about, listening back. Also continues my theme of "every other album by this band rules" haha

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah I meant to imply that it may be "their" most influential album not the genres most influential.

I totally was thinking that every even numbered release from them arent great either lol!

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Rescue and Restore
    Phantom Anthem
    Thrill Seeker
    Constellations
    Messengers
    Found In Far Away Places
    Leveler

Messengers has Back Burner and Eleventh Hour tho