Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem (October 6, 2017) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Yawn, nothing too new or different about this; just seems like an extension of FIFAP

2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

@Micah511 I know what you mean. This is nothing that will stick with me for a long time, but they do what they do well and it scratches a certain itch.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

yeah, I really wanted to give this a chance, but i got about 8 songs in, and absolutely nothing made me say, wow, that was cool and different. I mean, they do what they do well, but they've already got so much out there of them doing the same stuff.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I've loved this band since my high school days, but I think they've finally exhausted their creativity. It's the same formula over and over, and not necessarily every album is an improvement on each prior release. I held off on listening to the leak because of the bad quality, but now that it's out I've listened to about half of it so far and it doesn't really offer anything new.

I don't understand the interludes anymore. It was kinda cool when they first did it on Leveler, (although the salsa part on Internal Cannon is still kinda out of left field), but it's not like any of them are playing those instruments live. They aren't bringing a string section or a piano with them on stage, they're just playing samples, right? If that's the case, what's the point? Just seems like filler, and they're still doing it. There are small improvements here and there (like JB finally doing arpeggios and whatnot) but as far as formulas go, it's beginning to feel pretty similar.

This will probably be the first album I won't purchase since Thrill Seeker.

5. Micah511

The interludes are like them screaming "Look! We're different now!" except as soon as they're over they go right back to the same riff or chugging breakdown.

6. trevorshmevor Oct 6, 2017
    (Last edited: Oct 6, 2017)
    They're not interludes, they're parts of the song that add dynamics. On this record they're done well and on FIFAP they were not

Also wtf at suggesting you shouldn't add extra instrumental layers to your music if you're not willing to bring it out on tour and have it played live lol

7. Micah511

but theyve done them so much at this point that they are starting to feel just as formulaic as a breakdown. they always occur about 2/3 of a way through a song and find a way to transition into a loud finishing part of a song that was either a breakdown/chorus/verse from before the break.

8. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

New Black Dahlia Murder is way better than this.

Micah511 likes this.
  9. Yeah not arguing that most of these songs aren't incredibly formulaic, I agree and think I even mentioned that earlier in the thread

Micah511 likes this.
  10. The Mysterious

Yes...but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts

Coordinates is the only standout track on this album for me. Bummer. Echoing the formula rut, these guys need to shake things up. Different song structure, clean chorus vocals, something. R&R felt so refreshing upon release, but these last two...meh.

circasurviver likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

I feel like metalcore is just dead

12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

This record really crept up on me. ABR has one of my favorite bands, but I felt there was no excitement generated around this release. I will report back with my thoughts after I listen.

The Mysterious likes this.
  13. Gooddayz

always and forever

I've only heard it once via through speakers, but it was kinda underwhelming. I think I hyped myself wayyy too much with the two singles. It definitely didn't blow FIFAP outta the water. I think the "interlude" stuff is handled much much better here (no salsa or western mumbo jumbo), but it didn't hit any of the highs from FIFAP like the ending of Martyr for example. That was still only after one listen though so I'm sure it'll grow on me. R&R is my second fav and that one was a grower

theagentcoma likes this.
  14. epicnate98

I swear this band could write an album with the same recycled riffs every 2 years until they dropped dead and I would enjoy every single one of them.

Gooddayz, awakeohsleeper and solxace like this.
  15. johnnyferris

This is huge. I listened to the album for the first time a couple days ago and it was simply solid ABR to me. More listens will be given though!

16. Gooddayz

always and forever

Do it do better than FIFAP?

17. johnnyferris

That reached a high of #9 according to Billboard. They also had a Grammy nom with that record.

18. Gooddayz

always and forever

Right I forget it was nominated for a Grammy.

19. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Very impressive numbers.

Gooddayz likes this.
  20. Gooddayz

always and forever

Lol I love JB says this album has less "whacky parts". Thank goodness that's true

solxace likes this.
  21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

This is absolutely shockingly good.

22. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Hadn't heard about this:

23. theagentcoma

I gave the remix a listen a few days ago, it's ok but I'm not sure that it was needed. The bass is way more audible, the china is reined in a bunch, and the guitar tones are more in tune with what they sound like on their later albums. I was never a fan of the guitar tone on the original, but it did give it its own unique charm.

suicidesaints likes this.
  24. Like with the original Messengers, I could barely make it all the way through when I listened the other day. Cool thing to do for their fans though, very unique way to give something back and likely not have to expend a ton of effort.

25. Gooddayz

always and forever

I've never been a big fan of Messengers, but I liked this remixed. The production always brought it down for me, but this tuned it up a bit.

I'm also liking Phantom Anthem more. The latter half is pretty awesome