Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem (October 6, 2017) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

New video is up, sounds like ABR.

2. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Haha that video.

3. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Video is great. Song is exactly as I expected, solid, consistent.

4. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

not really a fan of the video, except the end where they're playing a show is kinda funny

Song is good, nothing really new. Way more chugging than I care for.

5. Gooddayz

always and forever

Was anybody else reminded of Broken Promises after listening to this?

6. redwing91007

TRACK LIST:
    1. King of Sorrow
    2. Hero of the Half Truth
    3. The Frost
    4. Lifeline
    5. Invisible Enemy
    6. Quake
    7. Coordinates
    8. Generations
    9. Float
    10. Dangerous
    11. Carbon Copy

7. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Basically exactly what I expected. The riffage was great but I don't think I could listen to a whole album of this anymore.

Ken likes this.
  8. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the best part of the new song was that asian lute or synth pluck at the beginning

9. Yeah, song's way too repetitive. The part around 3:20 or whatever is pretty cool, like with the solo. Enjoyed it more than literally anything from the last record though so at least it's a step in the right direction I guess.

Video was fun, kinda reminds of that crazy video they did for Mariana's Trench

10. theagentcoma

They have callbacks to most of their other videos in this one, lol

11. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

New song clip at the end.

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. theagentcoma

that actually sounds pretty cool

13. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

Don't really listen to metalcore anymore, but when I'm in the mood these guys usually do the trick. Will give this a listen when it comes out.

14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

Really digging this new song. Think I like it better than the first.

15. Syre Dream

Regular

drip drip.

16. Did not like either of the pre-release tracks, but boy was that one hell of an opener. Better than literally anything on their last record. Hope the rest of this takes me by surprise.

17. Holy shit this second song is fucking insane, the instrumental section is in the middle is an immediate career highlight

18. trevorshmevor Sep 16, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 16, 2017)
    Oh wow, Carbon Copy turned into something really cool like 3/4 of the way in and I sorta wish it built more off of that to round things out instead of doing what it does. Decent closer overall though, interested to read the lyrics to this. At the end I could make out a "the choice is mine, I need to make the right one". Jake has had a tendency in the past to be a little heavy handed with the religious and/or motivational themes at times, but I do appreciate how personal he can get in his lyrics and I'm curious to see what that could be about.

Overall I actually enjoyed this record a lot on first listen, despite the lackluster quality. Probably will hold off on listening again until I can hear a better version. If I had to pick an album this sounds most like, I'd say R&R easily. Due to the extreme and "hots and colds" I feel toward each of their albums, this immediately secures it's spot in their top 3 for me, behind R&R and Constellations. Maybe one day it'll pass one of those up, but I can guarantee I'll never shy away from it so hard that it goes below any of their others.

I do wonder if this band ever gets like.... bored. Haha. Well aware that they're constantly doing little things in their music that they haven't done before, but by and large it's still all within the same genre and the parts that aren't "pushing the envelope" are essentially the exact same now as they were ten years ago -- just in varying degrees of quality. Like, I wonder how often they're writing a song and get stuck with what they should do next. Can't be that often, right?Feels like they have what they do down to a science. I also can't imagine any of them comes up with a part on their respective instrument where everyone else goes "woah that's amazing" all that often. Might sound more harsh than I mean it to and for all I know could be absolutely untrue, but it's a thought that crossed my mind multiple times while listening to this. Their riffs are just so..... ABR. Anyway I'll stop ranting, hope everyone else enjoys this record too!

19. redwing91007

Gonna be hard to wait considering how early this leaked.

Ok I caved, downloading now. Didn't take much.

Gooddayz likes this.
  20. theagentcoma

Downloaded the leak, listened to the first 2 songs. Not bad, but I think I'll wait on the rest due to the quality.

21. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. theagentcoma

23. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

24. Good choice for a prerelease track. Much more representative of the record than the first two songs were IMO

25. Gooddayz

always and forever

Uh oh. I'm gonna hold off until release day to hear the rest, but the first two singles got me thinking this is gonna blow FIFAP outta the water.