Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

August Burns Red - Phantom Anthem (October 6, 2017) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by redwing91007, Jul 25, 2017.

1. redwing91007 Jul 25, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 27, 2017)
    redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Super excited for this, one of my favorite (might I add consistent) heavy bands. Dropping on my birthday to boot!

Pre-order: augustburnsred.com.

TRACK LIST:
    1. King of Sorrow
    2. Hero of the Half Truth
    3. The Frost
    4. Lifeline
    5. Invisible Enemy
    6. Quake
    7. Coordinates
    8. Generations
    9. Float
    10. Dangerous
    11. Carbon Copy

2. This is a band I've enjoyed every other album from, so by that obviously very sound logic I should love this. Hahah.

For real though ABR pls don't disappoint me

Lucas27 likes this.
  3. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Will never not love this band

4. Lucas27

Trusted

Was thinking this same thing, although I did like Leveler quite a bit. Although Rescue & Restore is the only record they've put out that I absolutely love.

5. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Crazy that they are on their 7th full length. They're one of those bands that's just always there. I really like it when they experiment a little bit. I think Rescue & Restore was my favourite. Can't remember if I heard their last one...!

Edit: quick Google - apparently Rescue & Restore was their last one! Can't believe they've not put an album out since 2013.

Edit 2: wait a minute, they have put out an album since then. Found in Far Away Places. (I haven't heard it). Wikipedia has that as their 7th full length so does this mean the new one is their 8th?

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

I enjoyed their first couple records then seemed to kind of lose my interest. I've tried to go back a few times but never listen to more than a few tracks.

suicidesaints likes this.
  7. Mister Lyrical

Forging Clarity Supporter

1. Thrill Seeker
    2. Messenger
    3. Constellations
    4. Leveller
    5. Rescue & Restore
    6. Found In Far Away Places
    7. LP7

8. redwing91007

This is the 8th if you count the Christmas album, which most people (including me) don't. I think it's safe to safe this is truly their 7th LP.

For those of you who haven't listened to FIFAP I highly recommend it, it finished in my top 5 AOTY list in 2015. They definitely experiment a little more, even having clean vocals on a song (guest spot by Jeremy McKinnon).

9. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Constellations is where it's at.

10. redwing91007

I guess it's ranking time. I'd say I "love" every release in its entirety aside from Thrill Seeker which was always hit or miss for me.

Constellations
    Messengers
    Found In Far Away Places
    Rescue & Restore
    Leveller

Thrill Seeker

11. 1. Constellations
    2. R&R

3. Messengers

4. Everything else

Constellations and R&R switch favorite probably every time I try to rank. They're both fantastic releases that hit the nail right on its head.

Messengers is not great but it has a lot of nostalgic value and was really fun metalcore album for its time.

Leveler and FIFAP are bad, half baked records that completely miss the mark. And I have not ever spent enough time with Thrill Seeker to really rank it.

12. theagentcoma

Messengers is my favorite but it really feels like a tighter Thrill Seeker but with double the breakdowns (they were good breakdowns though).

I do agree that Constellations is their best. I feel like it shows the most growth between two albums. Not to say that they don't progress with each record, but some times it just feels gimmicky the way they throw in random passages of violins or Spanish guitars or something. JB's leads feel pretty much the same from album to album.

That being said, I still enjoy every one of their albums and I've purchased each one on release day. They're a band from my high school days that play a genre of music that was stale a decade ago but they're still going strong.

13. tvck

Trusted

Phantom Anthem is title of album

redwing91007 likes this.
  14. Eric Wilson

Trusted Prestigious

So excited for this album. To me they are so consistent between each one. Ready to hear this new single!

15. theagentcoma

They released a new song but only on Sirius

edit found it:

16. With stream quality that bad it's hard to say for sure, but I think I really liked that a lot haha

17. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Ah ha, that clears that up then. I might have to give FIFAP a listen.

redwing91007 likes this.
  18. redwing91007

I'm sure it will hit streaming services for tomorrow, I think I'll hold out for a higher quality version.

19. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Really hoping this hits spotify today or tomorrow. These guys are the most consistently great bands in their genre. If I were to rank their albums it'd probably look like this:

Constellations
    FIFAP
    Leveller
    Rescue & Restore
    Messengers
    Thrill Seeker

20. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

smh at people ranking Thrill Seeker so low.

Maybe it's just nostalgia but Thrill Seeker is probably my favorite. Constellations and Messengers are both ace too though.

21. redwing91007

I got into the band during the Messengers era but spun Thrill Seeker pretty often back then, never clicked for me.

22. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I saw them with Haste the Day, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, and Inhale Exhale on what was maybe their first full tour (it was right after Thrill Seeker came out) - I didn't know who they were at the time, but they blew me away. By far the best band on the bill. I think that had a lot to do with my love for the album.

23. mattav152

Release My Mind, My Garden Grows

Personally I ranked Thrill Seeker and Messengers that low because I hate the production on them which made them a chore to listen to and I first got into this band during Constellations so I feel zero nostalgia for those earlier releases

24. redwing91007

Man that's awesome! The first time I got to see them live was a 2010 co-headliner with BMTH. Still have their setlist from that night and looking back on it, holy hell what a killer show.

1. Composure
    2. The Truth of a Liar
    3. Thirty and Seven
    4. Meddler
    5. Marianas Trench
    6. The Escape Artist
    7. Indonesia
    8. Back Burner
    9. Redemption
    10. Drum Solo
    11. White Washed

25. theagentcoma

Thrill Seeker is an incredible album for how young they were. Greiner was a beast on that album and he's only gotten better.