Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Audio Released of Children Separated From Their Parents at the Border • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Saephon Jun 20, 2018
    (Last edited: Jun 20, 2018)
    Saephon

Regular

The Japanese interment camps should be taught in every U.S. history textbook. It took me way too long to see how awful this country really can be. Oh and don't get me started on our chapters on Native Americans in grade school... Jesus christ, our education is whitewashed. No wonder we repeat the same atrocities.

Arry and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  2. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

yeah or like you see these rampant problems with alcoholism, teenage pregnancy, gangs, drugs, etc., and people are like "well why don't they just go get a job off the reservation and go to college??? they need to accept some of the blame because nothing is stopping them from integrating within canadian society so like..." and I roll my eyes so far back in my head they damn near do a 360

SuNDaYSTaR, Dead_Presley and Kiana like this.
  3. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm from Quebec as well, but from what I recall our education on "Amérindiens" was pretty much limited to learning the words from Hani Kuni and listening to our teachers lecture us about how great the relations with their colonizers were. I've had to learn everything about residential schools on my own, which is becoming more and more sickening every time I learn a little more about it.

It's also mind-boggling to hear that the last of these schools closed in 1996; I was ten and still pretty much unaware that they even existed.

4. SuNDaYSTaR

Regular Prestigious

I'm going to echo most people here and say that you're probably a terrible person, inside and out.

Dead_Presley and BradBradley like this.
  5. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

It really took a long time for the horror of them to really start getting the attention it deserved, and hopefully it will be properly reflected in school curriculum for future generations.

Speaking from my own experience in elementary school in Ontario, I feel like Canadian history courses tended to focus on the formation of Canada, War of 1812, then the World Wars, but really left a blindspot on domestic Canadian life and policy in the time between and since. I think lots of people were blissfully unaware that those schools existed, or especially that those attrocities were happening at them, but it's impossible to be ignorant of them now.

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  6. somethingwitty

Trusted

Get ready for the gaslighting...Trump and the GOP are about to tell every that THEY solved this problem with an Executive Order, even though it was them that started this whole thing. Remember the reciepts on them saying only Congress could fix this.

7. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Typical abuser behavior: purposely cause a problem, solve the problem, take credit for the cure, receive praise.

8. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

That Mexico was "supposed" to pay for

9. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Also, attend the protest if you are able to, and/or donate to an organization that will help these families back together. This will be the first time I'll be on the streets, and I'm ashamed of myself that I've only now decided to get active.

Families Belong Together—Attend a June 30 Event!

10. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I've been thinking about attending too. I used to go to protests and marches when I lived in the city but haven't since I moved. Nearest one is an hour away tho so I'll have to see if it works out

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  11. DandonTRJ

~~~ヾ(^∇^ Supporter

Not only that, their “solution” was to trade family separation for (illegal) unlimited detention.

Trump Fixed Nothing Today

J.Dick, KyleK and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  12. Icynova

I hate this, but really, what is the answer? What is the right way to handle immigration? I am not smart enough to know. Is everybody that’s pissed about this a proponent of a completely open border?

I agree, fuck family separation, fuck unlimited detention, fuck Guantanamo Bay, fuck extended incarceration for nonviolent drug offenses, and fuck everyone who thinks Hispanic people aren’t humans. So that said, what is the answer, instead of just getting mad about it with no solution, like Occupy Wall Street?

Maybe I just approach things that upset me differently than you all, but I can’t just get mad at something without trying to find an answer

13. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah the solution is don't imprison people for trying to enter the country, don't deport people back to countries where they're in danger of murder, don't continue the (pre-Obama) status quo where crossing the border is a death march designed to kill a certain portion of the people attempting it (CrimethInc. : Designed to Kill : Border Policy and How to Change It), abolish ICE, etc. None of this necessitates an open border.

By the way OWS actually had lots of demands, first and foremost the prosecution of the bankers responsible for the 2008 crash. If you didn't hear about that it's probably because the people running the corporations giving you your news benefited from those bankers not going to jail

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.