Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Audio Karate - Malo (2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by wisdomfordebris, Jun 27, 2019.

1. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

So, uh, apparently Audio Karate has a new album coming out in the fall. Discuss.

2. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

New songs were pretty solid. Would be interested in this.

3. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Yoooooooooooooo

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  4. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

I never expected a new album from them—this is awesome. Happy I got to see them open for Descendents last year.

I met a dude before that show who drove up from Portland just to see AK, then he bounced. I imagine he’s going to be stoked for this news.

irthesteve and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  5. irthesteve

6. sawhney[rusted]2

7. sawhney[rusted]2

Seems like a no brainer to do tbh

8. irthesteve

smoke4thecaper likes this.
  9. sawhney[rusted]2

Album is, unsurprising, fantastic

This is much more straightforward than their other releases, but would have been a great step forward to growing their fanbase. LAnding is one of their best songs

10. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Can't remember the last time I listened to Audio Karate but this is really good.

11. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Some of this reminds me of Basement.

12. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Yeah this record rules. A nice mix of everything. The production could turn some people off, but I like the raw approach myself. Lots of cool little guitar licks all over this thing.

13. irthesteve

This is a really cool little record, makes me even more bummed that they broke up :/

14. irthesteve

Uhhhhhhhh new album this fall????

15. Furry Werthers

Trusted

Yessssssss

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  16. irthesteve

Rarities/b-sides album incoming March 18

[​IMG]

¡OTRA! is a collection of our rare and unreleased material. This comp spans the history of our band and features works produced by Bill Stevenson (Descendents/ALL) and Trever Keith (Face to Face), guest vocals by Agent M / Emily Whitehurst of Tsunami Bomb, and new original artwork by Chris Shary (Descendents/Teenage Bottlerocket).

17. irthesteve

18. irthesteve

More info on ¡OTRA!

Track Listing:
    01. Lovely Residence
    02. Segway
    03. Care Carelessly
    04. Black Covering
    05. End Won’t Justify the Means
    06. She Looks Good
    07. Do You Miss Meaning Everything to Me?
    08. Betrayed

From the suburbs of East Los Angeles, CA, four Mexican American kids came together in 2001 to form the band Audio Karate. Audio Karate developed a unique sound that drew from their many influences such as Descendents and Jawbreaker. Their unique mix of melodic and emotional punk rock helped them develop a big fan base and quickly caught the attention of Kung Fu records, who signed them in 2001 alongside bands like Blink-182 and Tsunami Bomb. Audio Karate were far from being just another “punk” band, and their blend of melodies and hooks set them apart, making it difficult to place them in any one genre. The band has mastered the art of writing infectiously catchy songs with deeply personal lyrics, while still remaining upbeat and fun.

Audio Karate spent the early 2000s touring heavily and shared stages with bands like Blink-182, NOFX, The Ataris, Face to Face, and had many Van’s Warped Tour appearances. Their first studio album “Space Camp” was met with much acclaim from critics and fans, and the band was often featured on MTV and Fuse TV. Their follow up album “Lady Melody” was produced by Bill Stevenson of the Descendents. The record straddled pop-punk convention and technical oddity, with unique key changes and riffs that seemed to sound “wrong” while sounding gloriously right. Even Stevenson wondered how they did it, marveling at times during their recording sessions: “Technically, this shouldn’t work.”

Audio Karate went on a long Hiatus in 2006 and returned in 2018 to record their third album “Malo” for Wiretap Records and support their idols, Descendents, on a U.S. tour. Shortly after their return, the band began working with Iodine Recordings for anther release. “¡OTRA!” is a collection of their rare and unreleased material that spans the history of the band and feature works produced by Bill Stevenson (Descendents/ALL) and Trever Keith (Face to Face). Featuring guest vocals by Agent M / Emily Whitehurst of Tsunami Bomb and new original artwork by Chris Shary (Descendents/Teenage Bottlerocket). “¡OTRA!” contains some of Audio Karate’s best songs that have never been released on vinyl. A soon to be essential volume for pop-punk and emo fans’ collections.

“Well crafted melodic-punk and the passion in the vocals is undeniably infectious. Bill Stevenson once again has produced a gem of a record!” - Punk News

19. irthesteve

“‘Lovely Residence’ is a special one for us as it is our only duet, featuring our old and very dear friend Emily Whitehurst, aka Agent M. In the early 2000s, we were signed to Kung Fu Records, as was her band Tsunami Bomb. We released our debut albums around the same time and embarked on a ton of international touring together, ultimately playing well over 50 or 60 shows together.

“In 2006, Jason recorded the song at our studio and we shelved it around that time as we went on our very extended hiatus. When we started reworking the tracks for Malo, it felt like ‘Lovely Residence’ was lacking oomph and we shelved it (again). We kept Art’s and Gabe’s original parts, re-tracked the guitars, and reached out to Emily to see if she would be into signing a harmony throughout. Basically sent her the song and said, ‘Sing along if you think the song doesn’t suck and it piques your interest.’ A couple days later, she sent back two takes and killed it.”

20. Furry Werthers

Trusted

So are these re-recorded versions of previously shelved tracks? Or more like a standard b-side/rarities album?

21. irthesteve

Funny you ask, because I asked the band today for more details and they actually replied

Furry Werthers likes this.
  22. xthricex

Regular

Anyone else listen to orta yet? Love these songs! Lovely residence is super catchy. Made me give malo a second listen.

23. irthesteve

Listening now, solid stuff! Nice to have new music, even if its old new music ha

24. irthesteve

WadeCastle likes this.
  25. irthesteve