Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Audio Equipment Thread (Headphones/Microphones/Speakers, etc.) • Page 7

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Best mic for voice/podcasting stuff? Nothing too pricey, preferably

2. bodkins

Trusted

SM7B is largely the gold standard. They run like $400 though which may be on the pricier side. For a relatively inexpensive mic, I’ve always like the AT2020 ($100).

3. hermanthehermit

Paris, Texas Climate Accord Supporter

Seconding both the SM7B and AT2020. I have the SM7B and it's an awesome mic, though a bit pricier than entry-level.

PeacefulOrca and bodkins like this.
  4. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Are there any headphones that are similar to and hopefully better than the samsungs where they have no vibration or annoying rubber piece to irritate your ears?

5. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I love my Sony WH-1000XM3. I would recommend the newer WH-1000XM4

jorbjorb and paperlung like this.
  6. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, those are over ear headphones lol I’m looking for something like the samesung true wireless where you just put them in your ear

RyanPm40 likes this.
  7. RyanPm40

Any reason you don't want Airpod Pros? My fiance has some and they sound and fit great. Could always order some third party memory foam tips if you don't like rubber

Unless you have an Android phone which I totally understand, I do as well

PeacefulOrca likes this.
  8. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

Well yeah, I actually didn’t realize they’re only compatible with apple stuff. But also, the main reason is, I worry about anything that would be pushing into the ear because of on and off jaw discomfort.

The true wireless just sit in your ear but the quality is just okay, they also get too warm sometimes or can sound fuzzy from reception as opposed to other headphones I have.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  9. PeacefulOrca

Prestigious Prestigious

After realizing inner ear is actually more irritating, I’ve been looking for some very light over-ear headphones. If anyone has any recommendations, let me know.

10. Damien Davies

Idk Maybe Supporter

just swapped my DT 770 Pros for a pair of the new Rode NTH-100s and my goodness they are so well built and sound amazing.

11. helloiamzach

Regular

Hi folks. Can anyone recommend equipment for doing remote podcasting on the road?

I recently started up a podcast where I interview bands and members of the industry, and whilst Zoom is okay for the time being I'd like to start getting what I need to do it face-to-face when needed in the future.

12. Deanna

Trusted Supporter

A portable recorder like the Zoom H4n or H6, however many mics you need (SM58s are usually solid), cables, SD card, and mic stands if you don't want people holding the mics necessarily but that would be a little less portable.

helloiamzach likes this.
  13. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

Looks like the conversation is on-going about headphones, but what are some good noise cancelling over-ear options?

I have to travel for work and I have an old pair of Bose noise cancelling ones that are on their last leg and I am looking to upgrade.

Not really an audiophile, just looking for something to block out the airplane noise handily so I can watch movies and TV shows.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  14. RyanPm40 May 20, 2022
    (Last edited: May 20, 2022)
    RyanPm40

If looking for Bluetooth, I have Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones and really like them. The XM4s are supposed to be a bit better and you might luck out on a good deal because the XM5s just came out. MKBHD says that the XM5s don't sound much better and they don't fold up which is really annoying for travel, so I won't be getting them.

My fiance has Bose QC35 IIs and they do a great job, as well. You really can't go wrong with Sony or Bose. From my experience, Sony's just have a bit more bass but are otherwise comparable.

LosManosFuertes likes this.
  15. LosManosFuertes

Love This Place Supporter

The hero I don't deserve but definitely needed. Thanks!

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I have sennheiser PXC 550s that are super comfy. They’ve since been upgraded but I imagine they or the sennheiser momentum’s (depending on price point) should be satisfying options.

LosManosFuertes likes this.
  17. higathonzumba

SM57s are a good mic and quite cheapish too.

18. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

i just got the XM4s on sale, so dope

RyanPm40 likes this.
  19. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

So, I guess this is the place to put this. I just want to share what I've done to my headphones so we can all bask in this marvel of engineering.

See, what happened is that I prefer a certain pair of headphones. And the arm of the earpiece, the clip that was holding it on started breaking. At the time I didn't have my new job yet to buy a new pair, so I decided to get creative.

At that time, all I did was take some cable ties and make one strap in the back by tying a tie on each arm and then tying a third around the first two ties to bind them together. Then I clipped off the excess.

That worked fine, until a couple days ago the clip finally broke completely, and the arm started falling off. That wouldn't do, so the last couple days or so, I've been tinkering.

And this is the finished product.

20220709_101751.jpg

20220709_101804.jpg

Basically, I repeated what I did originally a second time, to make two straps.

Then I used ties on each side to loosely bind the straps together, and then I used two ties around that piece to fill the empty space between and keep the straps a relative distance from each other.

Then, I tied that whole bit to the headphone arm to secure it so it wouldn't slide around the straps.

Finally, I slid a tie through the loops and into the armpiece so that the arms would have a firmer grip to the headpiece. They're still able to be adjusted, but they won't slide off now.

I'm really proud of what I've done here. It may look dumb in some areas, but it's functional, and I really rather like how it feels on my head. Much more secure in every way.

theasteriskera and Dinkleberg like this.
  20. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Picked up a cheap pair of IEM’s for going back to the office eventually. CCA CRA’s and I’m pretty shocked at how good they are for €20. IEM’s seem to have come a long way in the 2+ years since I’ve gotten a pair.

21. crowntownguy

I think I'm growing into someone you can trust

Just bought my first record player listening setup:

* Audio-Technica AT-LP60XBT
    * Yamaha HS5 speakers
    * Radial J33 Active preamp

I already have a pair of nice DT 900 Pro X's for headphones if I prefer to listen that way. Any other accessories or tools I should get or put on a list as a nice-to-have?

22. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

Anyone have a recommendation for decent "dumb" headphones? Something that has no wireless/bluetooth or noise cancelling, just simple

23. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  24. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

What's your budget? On the low end , any of the Sony wired headphones are going to be pretty great for the price point.
    Sony MDR-ZX310AP ZX Series Wired On Ear Headphones with mic, Black https://a.co/d/37BNitH

On the upper end there's some great "dumb" Audio Technica's
    Audio-Technica ATH-M50X Professional Studio Monitor Headphones, Black, Professional Grade, Critically Acclaimed, with Detachable Cable https://a.co/d/62Jg4OU

These Sony's are the perfect mid range options though, by far the best bang for your buck in that category.

Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone https://a.co/d/cFM0u7J

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  25. Penlab

Trusted Supporter

One of the things that irks me about modern headphones is the tendency to either be an earmuff style or an ear bud style.

I hate both, frankly. Which is why I wear those headphones I linked above. Just the relief my ears need.

oneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofus