Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Audio Equipment Thread (Headphones/Microphones/Speakers, etc.) • Page 6

Discussion in 'Technology Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

You may want to ask this same thing in the Guitar Thread. :)

As a quick aside, not sure why you'd specifically want to buy from Gear4Music. I don't know who else you have available in Denmark though. :)

2. MrCon

I was trying to describe myself to someone

Anyone got any experience with buying a mid-range CD player? I've got a fairly nice little setup now, but my CD player is by far and away the weakest component. It's a Cambridge Audio Topaz or something, which is the cheapest one they make.

I was looking at upgrading to something around the £500 range, but I don't know how much difference that will make with a CD player. It looks like, at that range, I also have the choice of buying a CD player (sometimes a streamer is built in too) or buying a CD transport and DAC.

Any thoughts?

3. Borat 2: Vengeance

The Pitbull of Chorus.fm Prestigious

Looking for a pair of earbuds/IEMs. Under 80 dollars or so. I see I have a decent amount of choices but I'm mainly concerned with durability. Thoughts?

4. ClaSutherland Sep 27, 2020
    (Last edited: Sep 30, 2020)
    ClaSutherland

Frankly speaking, I usually listen to music on the tape recorder in the car, because my job is linked with frequent trips and I am often driving, so there are no many variants. But honestly, for our living room, I ordered a victrola record player vintage that is a real art object and really cool incidental music. So, when we have parties, or a romantic evening with my soulmate we choose vinyl according to our mood and it is a perfect phone for a pleasant time. Indeed, such music is very special and creates a specific atmosphere set you up for relaxation, and gives a special zest to the evening.

5. Pakorosen

Nunca saldré vivo de este mundo Supporter

I'm looking for headphones to go running. Any recommendation?

6. Fletchaaa

Trusted Supporter

I really like my Jabra elite headphones I've had them a few years now and they still work good. They're true wireless so no wire at all. Mostly just wear them to the gym but they stay in good whenever I'm on the treadmill.

7. DeRRek

Trusted

Well, that’s my Apple wired earphones packed in. I want to buy new wireless in earphones. I don’t usually buy wireless in earphones but have decided to make the switch. Anyone have recommendations? I’m not looking to spend more than £80. I get student discount at the moment too so I could potentially get money off any that are recommended. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

8. Pakorosen

a lot of people talk wonders about the sound quality of campbridge audio melomania 1, and I almost certainly bought them to go for a run. It's less than 100 €.

DeRRek likes this.
  9. DeRRek

Trusted

Thank you for this. I really appreciate it. Will definitely check these out. I can honestly say I’ve never heard of this brand before.

10. What would people say are good over-ear wireless (noise-cancelling) headphones these days?

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I have a pair of sennheiser pxc 550, which I now see have been followed up with a sequel. They’re on the pricier side but if that’s within your range I would recommend them.

Why Bother? likes this.
  12. Pakorosen

I have the Bose 700 and in active cancellation, they are the kings.
    Something cheaper, a good IEM can function properly adjusted.

Why Bother? likes this.
  13. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

Just got some Sony XM3s and they sound amazing. I definitely think they sound better than the Bose QC 35II and Bose Soundlink II headphones, with superior features and ANC. But the one drawback.. they're so much more uncomfortable.

The Sony's squeeze my head, make my ears feel hot and uncomfortable after a half hour to an hour, and the head strap doesn't rest super comfortably on top of my head. Being heavier probably doesn't help. I could wear either of those Bose all day on an 8 hour shift at work, and I can't see that happening with the Sony's. If they were more comfortable they'd be perfect

14. jorbjorb

7 rings

I haven’t had any issues with the xm4s when it comes to comfort.

15. RyanPm40

My Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones are very comfortable and sound fantastic. I hear the XM4s are even better and more comfortable. I could see them being a bit tight, but I'd try them on in a store to be safe.

Otherwise, my fiance's Bose QC35 II headphones are super flexible, lightweight, and the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I just like the sound of the Sonys a liiiittle more

16. uuu

dumb idiot ignore me

I have the XM4's and they are super comfy, I actually wanna switch to airpods though so I can go to the Gym with them on haha.

17. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

This thread is kind of old and dated. What are people using these days? I have a pair of Soundcore (Anker) true wireless earbuds that I like, but they can hurt if I wear them for a while, and I can only use the right earbud by itself, which is kind of annoying. I'm also using an old pair of Sony MDR-10RBT for my over ear headphones. I just tried the AirPods Pro but had to return them due to just not staying in my ear. Loved the passthrough and noise cancellation features, though the sound quality was not as good as I would expect from headphones that retail in the $250 range.

DeRRek likes this.
  18. RyanPm40

I have my Sony XM3s for over ears and they're still holding up well and sound great. Otherwise, I just have Galaxy Buds+ which are a pretty great value at $100 and insane battery life (11 hrs in the buds, plus an extra 11 hrs from the case). They sound very good for the price, stay snug in the ear because of the wings it has in addition to the tips, and plenty of bass.

19. Anthony Brooks

brook183 Supporter

I'm in love with my Beats studio buds

20. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I wear hearing aids and they have Bluetooth built-in, best sounding headphones I’ve ever had lol

bodkins and RyanPm40 like this.
  21. CstSnow

Regular Supporter

I have the Nuraphones which are absolutely great, I assumed they were just a gimmick but after trying the custom sound profiles I was sold. In the market for a pair of on the go wireless earbuds and might end up going with the Nura version since you can import your same hearing profile from the Nuraphones but the specs on them aren’t great on paper.

22. DeRRek

Trusted

I’ve just recently purchased the sennheiser hd599s open backed (ivory) headphones. Really enjoying them at the moment. Also open to any album recommendations for listening to front to back with these, haha?!

23. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

Since I last posted in here I picked up a refurb xm4 over ears. I love them. Sound is great, noise cancellation is awesome, and multipoint is super convenient as someone who works from home permanently. being able to switch back and forth between my work computer and phone is a feature I didnt know I needed when i bought them.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  24. makeitworse1 Nov 24, 2021
    (Last edited: Nov 27, 2021)
    makeitworse1

Well, since everyone here is talking about headphones, speakers, etc., I'll tell you about my recent discovery. At the end of last month, I purchased a new Samsung Q67AB OLED 4K TV and I thought that I need more TV volume (I mean bass) and decided that I should buy a speaker. I came across this article best soundbar under 400 and found Samsung HW-M360/ZA 2.1. The HW-M360 has 5 different modes of sound; this feature puts you in control of the way your media's sounds are played. You will be able to adjust the mode of the systems sound depending on what you are streaming. This allows the user to experience the sound as it was intended - whether it be music or movies.

25. devenstonow

Noobie

I just bought a Soundbar with HDMI ARC. It only has one HDMI in port, so for now I'm using that with my Google TV.

If I want to watch a Blu-ray, is there any benefit to swapping my PS5 into the Soundbar vs having it directly to the TV? I can't find a definitive answer but it looks like I'd lose the Dolby sound?

Alternatively should I just use an optical cord instead?