Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Atreyu Part Ways With Vocalist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

Atreyu have parted ways with vocalist Alex Varkatzas.

We have been a band for over 20 years now. Lived our dreams together as friends and as brothers. We traveled the world doing what we love, and have been fortunate enough to play music for such an incredible fan base that provides us with the opportunity to share our greatest moments with them.

Now a time of change has come for all of us. Alex Varkatzas is sailing off on a ship of his own, and will part ways with Atreyu. He will not disappear, and neither will Atreyu. There’s nothing but love and respect for each other, and we can’t wait to see what he will come up with next. Stay tuned for his upcoming projects and we all wish him success and fulfillment with all his future endeavors.

Atreyu’s next adventure is among us.

We love you, we’ll see you shortly.

more

Not all embedded content is displayed here. You can view the original to see embedded videos, tweets, etc.

2. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I haven't really followed this band, but that's pretty crazy after 20 years

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I didn’t even know this band was still active

Brent and zachmacD like this.
  4. Orla

little old lady Prestigious

I always just assumed they would call it a day altogether if Alex or Brandon decided to leave. Interested to see where they go from here.

disambigujason likes this.
  5. aspeedomodel

Cautiously pessimistic Prestigious

Yeah, I also assumed they would just hang it up if either singer was done. Very interesting.

6. 150Wrds

Was a big fan of them back in the day. It feels like Alex was a big part, although Brandon always provided the hook, so they obviously think the 'screamer' can be replaced. Interesting to see where this goes.

7. Dog Fish

Mutt

Isn't this exactly what From Autumn to Ashes did?

SuNDaYSTaR likes this.
  8. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Yeah, but it was a lot earlier in FATA's career. In my opinion FATA released their best stuff when their drummer Francis took over on vocals, and he was able to do both the screaming and sining. I don't know about the dummer for Atreyu and if he can do both, but you're spot in brining in the comparison.

9. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Yeah I mean I loved the dudes sound but I, too, found the hooks with the drummer/singer.

All Systems Goku and zachmacD like this.
  10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Holding A Wolf By The Ears is the only album that’s just Francis. Ben checked out before it was recorded and that’s when he took up the vocalist spot.

Henry and ramomcferno like this.
  11. zachmacD

Trusted

Holding a wolf by the ears is my favorite by far. Besides the after dinner payback, I never liked any of their other material

ramomcferno and Joe Sheridan like this.
  12. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Yeahhhh buddy! Holding a Wolf By The Ears is easily the best FATA record.

I highly doubt Atreyu will produce their best material moving forward.

13. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

True but Francis wrote pretty much all of the lyrics for Abandon Your Friends because Ben was MIA for a lot of the recording leading Francis to take over the sinking ship.

That’s why Francis sings so much on AYF... because he wrote it all and Ben was gone half of the time lol

14. DerekIsAGooner

So assuming that this weekend...

Holding a Wolf by the Ears is one of my favorite records of all time.

ramomcferno and mattylikesfilms like this.
  15. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I would probably agree with that. The record is incredible and most of the lyrics still speak to me more than ever.

ramomcferno likes this.
  16. SFguitar

Regular

Kinda liked this band back in the day but stopped listening after they became a butt/bro-rock band. lol

koryoreo likes this.
  17. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Deathgrip is still an album of theirs I standby. It’s a banger. The rest is meh overall.

18. DarkHotline

Also true, I forgot it was mostly Francis on that one.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  19. helloiamzach

Regular

Sadly I can't say that I didn't see this coming with how much they've been moving further away from screamed vocal material over the years. They actually played without Alex at Slam Dunk last year and had a guest vocalist here and there.

Personally I think they'll just have Brandon covering vocals going forward and maybe bring in a new drummer, and just cut anything with a large amount of screaming from their sets.

Alex is already working on a new heavier project from what he's said on Instagram.

falafelmywaffle likes this.
  20. koryoreo

Trusted Supporter

Same here lol

21. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

I would totally listen to an Atreyu album with Dan Marsala doing vocals. I feel like he's way underrated.

Colby Searcy likes this.
  22. swboyd

are we still lucky to be here? Prestigious

I guess he decided inventing metalcore wasn't enough for him. Sad day.

23. Heron182

Regular

I think Alex and Brandon from bleeding through had a band at one point

24. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I saw them recently and assumed they had different vocalists from when I saw them in 2002. Sounded like a completely different band. If they didn't play Side of The Bed, I don't think I'd have recognized them at all.

25. DarkHotline

Atreyu has tried to be a butt rock band since 2007, Alex leaving is the final step.