Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Atlanta, Georgia Thread

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by zporter92, May 2, 2018.

1. zporter92

Regular

Hey everyone! My girlfriend recently got accepted into medical school in the Atlanta area, and I was wondering if anyone on here lives in/near the area and could recommend things to do/affordable living places that might not show up online, or just things like that in general?

We are more than likely going to actually live in Duluth, but Atlanta and Suwannee are right there so I thought this would be a good catch-all thread!

CarpetElf likes this.
  2. shea

RIP Supporter

What sort of stuff are you guys into?

Infinite Energy Arena is in Duluth so you won’t have far to go for the bigger concerts that come through there. It’s also the home of the reigning World Champion Georgia Swarm of the National Lacrosse League and maybe still? the Gwinnett Gladiators hockey team, which is a minor league affiliate of the Boston Bruins.

If you’re into beer, there is a decent little brew pub in downtown Duluth called Good Word Brewing. There are a lot of good breweries in the general metro-Atlanta area as well, if you’re into that I can recommend a few.

That’s sort of the extent of my knowledge about the Duluth area other than traffic around the Gwinnett Place Mall area is a legitimate nightmare..ha.

3. zporter92

Regular

We actually saw Green Day at the Infinite Energy Arena! I will check out that brewery for sure! Are you around there?

4. GrantCloud

Prestigious Prestigious

Minnesota swarm!

Sorry still salty

5. shea

RIP Supporter

I’m not, I’m out towards Athens currently, but I worked in what’s more like the outskirts of Duluth for like 9-10 months a couple of years ago, hence my fairly limited knowledge, haha

6. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

I meant to post here before. what's up fellow Georgians? I hate it here a little lol

7. Zach

Trusted Supporter

Will be moving officially on July 10th!

8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

Booked my (admittedly cheap) hotel downtown to see Taylor in August and finally go to the Georgia Aquarium

Zach and shea like this.
  9. highdive

I am visiting a friend in Atlanta next month and we're going to catch a show at Aisle 5. Has anyone ever been? We're seeing Young Rising Sons. We first saw them open for The 1975 a few years ago and they killed. I'm looking forward to the show and also visiting Atlanta.

10. Zach

Trusted Supporter

The Aquarium is awesome. Went there last year after seeing Green Day/Against Me! My girlfriend really wants to have the wedding reception when we get married there.

I’ve never been to Aisle 5, but I’m going to try and catch some concerts while I’m in flight school for the nine months after we get there. Should be a good way to blow off steam

11. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I've been to the venue right next door. Parking around there suuuuuuuuucks.

12. highdive

Good to know. Thanks for the tip. Any good eats around the venue?

13. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

every Atlanta venue has garbage parking btw, bring cash to do whatever paid thing they have. it's not usually terrible but it isn't ideal either if that makes sense

14. Cody

itsgrocer.bandcamp.com Prestigious

In town from late next Tuesday through Saturday morning. Neighborhoods to hit? Any good local shows y’all know of or venues that would hypothetically host them?

Recommend me whatever, have no real plans

15. shea

RIP Supporter

Check out Scofflaw if you’re into beer. It’s kind of on the west side in a pretty industrial area but it’s by far my favorite Atl brewery. Not as big on Sweetwater, but they’re like THE Atlanta brewery, and that’s probably a good time, too.

Don’t catch many shows anymore but the Drunken Unicorn, the EARL, Aisle 5, Terminal West, 529 could all possibly have something decent.

As far as usual touristy stuff, World of Coke/the Aquarium/CNN Center/College Football Hall of Fame are all pretty close to each other downtown.

Little 5 Points would probably be a good time. A bunch of cool little boutique type shops, a couple of record stores, Junkman’s Daughter. Star Bar might also have some shows, and The Vortex has been on tv a bunch for it’s crazy burgers. (There’s also a midtown Vortex location with a comedy club called The Laughing Skull)

Ponce City Market and Krog Street Market both have a bunch of good food and I think there’s a few shops and some kind of rooftop mini golf course at the former.

There’s probably a bunch of obvious shit I’m forgetting, but hopefully someone else can suggest some stuff, ha.

Cody and Zach like this.
  16. highdive

Check out Young Rising Sons at Aisle 5 on 7/10!

17. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

yeah I second the little five points recommendation. check out criminal records (a record shop) while you're around, it's pretty cool. I am forgetting what date it is that Tuesday is rn but Snail Mail is playing at the Masquerade the 9th. the civil Rights museum near the world of coke is pretty doped

18. Cody

Thanks for the recs everyone. Bummed around SE and NE parts of the city, hit Hattie B’s and the botanical gardens and the contemporary museum of art. Honestly tho seeing Charolastra last night @ 529 justified the trip alone. Wow get on them if you aren’t already familiar

shea likes this.
  19. Cody

Junkman’s Daughter was tight, Criminal Records was tight, always bummed when I can’t splurge at places like that lol. Aurora coffee right next to Junkman’s Daughter was low key maybe my fave spot. That or Church

shea likes this.
  20. shea

RIP Supporter

Ha, you were among the first people to eat at Hattie B’s, I think it just opened on Thursday.

Totally forgot to mention the High Museum and the botanical gardens. Glad you hit those, too.

21. Cody

My last three botanical gardens visits were pure dogshit, and this one was so good it made up for all of them.

this was essentially me casing the joint to see if this is the spot for my move and I think it may be

Zach and shea like this.
  22. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I am broke after moving here last week but I am looking forward to checking out all of these recommendations!

23. EmmanuelSCastle

Trusted

Atlanta is crazy expensive to live in idk if I could do that for long

24. Zach

Trusted Supporter

I live about 25 miles away so it’s not too bad!

25. CarpetElf

douglas Prestigious

airik625 and GrantCloud like this.