Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Atlanta (Donald Glover, FX) TV Show • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 30, 2016.

1. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Tonight's was definitely strange but I had a lot of laughs

Also that was 100% Donald singing the "Bieber" song at the end

chewbacca110 and Miss Heartcore like this.
  2. yeahrightdude

Trusted Prestigious

Dang this show is good

3. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Didn't like the new one much at all

4. Larry David

I'll see you again in 25 years Prestigious

Interesting episode. Definitely the most forgettable one so far though

5. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Yeah, definitely the weakest of the season, but not bad. The "Justin Bieber" stuff just threw me off, and I think it's safe to say it was meant to be jarring? I don't know. I don't know shit. Other than Jane Adams was great. Her pledge to make sure Earn died homeless was the biggest laugh of the episode.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Definitely the weakest but still good.

7. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

The Justin Bieber thing was funny but the whole Paper Boi going after him thing was a little less meditative and introspective than 95% of the whole season.

Seeing Earn in the place where he should/will be without earning it was great. Loved Jane Adams.

Also, funny seeing Jaleel White playing the celeb game haha

8. Driving2theBusStation Sep 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 29, 2016)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Most recent episode almost felt like an episode of Entourage, but a pre-season 4 episode for what its worth.

mad likes this.
  9. That episode being the weakest speaks volumes. I loved it.

imthesheriff and yeahrightdude like this.
  10. Allpwrtoslaves

Trusted

The Justin Bieber thing really threw me for a loop. I was constantly wondering if I was hearing it wrong and it was just something really close.

11. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Thought the Bieber stuff in this week's episode was brilliant, but the episode itself was a little sloppy and definitely the weakest so far. Darius at the shooting range was a weird subplot that didn't really need to be there.

12. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I thought the dialogue from the guy coming to defend Darius was a little weird, but loved that subplot. He had a point, and made it casually. The shot of the poster with the word Dad on it was hilarious haha

13. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Actually enjoyed the parts with Darius more than the basketball game stuff

14. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

15. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I assumed the "Justin Bieber" song was meant to be ridiculously cheesy, I hope that's not actually on PHAROS

16. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

So with Justin Bieber being black in the world of Atlanta, are we to assume that everything is different and maybe Paperboi really did shoot that guy and in the world of Atlanta, they just let him go because maybe it's normal? Many people have made multiple references to Paperboi about killing that guy and he never really makes a comment back toward them and no one really thinks it's that weird.

In the real world, if you were suspected of doing that and were in custody, I don't see why they'd let you back out.

I feel more strange things like black Bieber and instances of the shooting are coming our way. According to imdb.com, Donald Glover described Atlanta as a 'Twin Peaks for rappers."

17. alex

notgonz Prestigious

I didn't see black JB as necessarily being a parallel of the real JB.

18. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Huffington Post wrote what I was thinking. "It’s not overtly clear why the show cast Justin Bieber as a black character, but it is likely a commentary on both the real Bieber’s famous appropriation of black culture as well as Hollywood’s habit of whitewashing minority roles. With this character, Glover ― whose show specifically highlights the black narrative ― draws emphasis to how America can be so accepting of real-life Bieber’s public fallouts and how that is likely a result of his white privilege."

19. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

Also Black Beiber definitely dropped that hard R last night.

imthesheriff likes this.
  20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. It also goes along with the narrative too that it's OK to shoot a "human Mexican target", but not a dog. Kind of showed that a dog's life is worth more than a minority's life (or is more valued) and that because Justin Bieber is not a minority, he gets away with his ridiculous behavior. I think the point of Justin's role in Atlanta was to show how douchey he really is and if that he really were a minority, more people wouldn't like him or accept him.

21. People like and accept Bieber? I mean I know his music is popular but I can't remember the last time I spoke with anybody that was down with his public behavior

22. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Definitely almost spit my drink out when I heard that

23. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

But people kind of laugh it off and accept Justin and don't make a huge deal out of his behavior. They're not intimidated by his behavior or really take it seriously. Look at Kanye, he's viewed as a huge dickhead by the public yet doesn't do half of the stupid shit Bieber does. At least, that's my view. I'm willing to bet more people feel 'threatened' by Kanye then they do by Bieber.

24. Darius at the shooting range were my favorite scenes from that ep. Probably my least favorite of the season so far, but that commentary quoted above about black justin bieber bumps it up. Didn't really think too much of it at first.

25. I mean, I guess I just don't see it that way at all. When Kanye makes a public scene, people laugh it off and say things like "there he goes again lol" while if Bieber does something dumb he catches some of the most intense hatred the internet has to offer. Hell, even before his public persona took a turn he was hated. I don't think I've ever seen unwarranted threats of sexual violence or death towards Kanye.

But to your latter point, yes, people are certainly more intimidated by Kanye. I think it's justified though? He is usually very aggressive in the way he expresses himself though. The dude is rarely caught with a smile on his face, so much so that it's become an internet meme. There's also the time he physically and publicly attacked a photographer. Bieber... got a DUI? Abandoned a monkey? Made a dumb Anne Frank comment? Not necessarily intimidating stuff there.