Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Atlanta (Donald Glover, FX) TV Show • Page 7

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by tdlyon, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

"We're friends now."

Yeah I love Darius.

Matt Chylak, trevorshmevor and jkauf like this.
  2. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Fuck this is good.

3. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

You all need to see Short Term 12

4. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Already have

5. Favorite episode of the season so far, that was gold

sawhney[rusted]2 likes this.
  6. ramomcferno

Mystery is the secret ingredient Prestigious

Such a good episode. Zan was a tool but he had a point about exploitation. I love how the show brings topics like this up. So good.

7. sawhney[rusted]2 Sep 22, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 22, 2016)
    sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Love how Paper realized that he's the most depraved person that he's ever met, since he doesn't believe in anything, just follows trends so he can hustle off other people's hustle. Really the personification of an entire culture, such a well done character. Most impressive thing they've done so far on the show to me

8. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

As much as I wanted to hate Zan, he wasn't wrong.

9. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

The way Darius said "we're friends now" made me tear up a little. What a complex character, that actor is crushing it.

jkauf likes this.
  10. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

He was totally wrong, what are you talking about? He's a two-faced, fake critic tryhard who exploits children for social media engagement. The idea that they're both "hustling" is only true in the sense that they're both trying to make money by playing into an established type. At least Paper Boi is rapping about his life and aspirations. Zan is just fake.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

This show is so fucking gooooood
    Funniest bit of the latest episode was Zan calling parties "movements"

12. alex

notgonz Prestigious

Given what happened with the mentally ill dude in ep2, I was legit worried that that kid was going to get hurt when he delivered that pizza.

trevorshmevor and imthesheriff like this.
  13. CobraKidJon

Fun must be always. Prestigious

Matt Chylak likes this.
  14. RobbieBerns

@robbieberns Prestigious

Was cool hearing Beach House

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Yeah whoever is in charge of picking the music is doing an amazing job

16. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I'm gonna go ahead and say Vanessa and Earn are breaking up this season. They just don't seem compatible, she's an airhead.

That surreal scene with sandwich dude on the bus seemed like eerie foreshadowing or something. Not sure what the significance is yet, but interesting how it ended with him disappearing into the forest and a dog randomly appearing, given what happens in the following episodes. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though, lol.

That feeling of dread when Paper Boi goes out in public alone after the shooting incident, ffffuuuuuuuu

"Stop trying to upsell me shit", damn that was satisfying, haha.

17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Lol I certainly wouldn't call her an "airhead"

18. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Yeah what the hell. "Airhead"? Vanessa, from what I've seen, is a good mother trying to take care of her child.

19. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

She's not an idiot, but she sucks at reading Earn's emotions sometimes, especially in the restaurant scene. Unless she used him, which would be even more douchey. Memory is not the greatest tho, maybe I'm remembering the scene wrong.

EDIT: wait, did he bluff to her that he was bank enough to afford whatever they wanted at the restaurant or something? Is that why she ordered everything off the menu as though it was their wedding anniversary and birthday on the same day? And I get that the waitress was somewhat responsible, but still, Earn was looking super uncomfortable and nervouse and she seemed totally oblivious and in bliss.

Also, I don't dislike her, just seems like she misreads him a lot

20. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I mean, I view her as an entirely sympathetic character. While I don't fault Earn for the situation that he's in and the ways in which he's trying to make ends meet, it seems pretty clear to me that there are shades of selfishness coming off of his character throughout the series. He's complex.
    The scene that sets him up to deliver the heartfelt speech about his daughter while Vanessa is in her bedroom, only for her to come out and shoot it down as being completely idiotic was pretty telling in terms of how viewers should interpret the characters. We want to see Earn succeed, we want to see his plan work out, but in reality he has a child and girlfriend to take care of.

21. Driving2theBusStation

Regular

I get that, just seems like some of the drama between them could easily be avoided, but then again here we are discussing those moments lol, so it does make for good TV I suppose

22. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

Earn is kind of a dick, you just don't really notice because he's the main character and is played by Troy Barnes

That's definitely the point though

iCarly Rae Jepsen and EngineDown like this.
  23. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Calling a woman an airhead and saying she sucks at reading emotions is pretty shady when the dude she's with deliberately deflects his emotions almost any time they have a real moment, yo

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  24. Driving2theBusStation Sep 27, 2016
    (Last edited: Sep 27, 2016)
    Driving2theBusStation

Regular

Alright you airheads, fair enough, I have hit a wall in defending my statement. Earn seems to me like he's just always trying to navigate/figure out how to best react to the situations being thrown at him, but given how I haven't been in a relationship myself, I do feel kinda unqualified to comment in detail/add any insight on what seems like a fairly complex or at least realistic depiction of one without having any frame of reference. Anyway, moving on....

- That youtube "mysterious race" celebrity guy was a blast to watch with how his behavior is basically the embodiment of internet trolls in the most accurate way I've seen depicted on a TV show or movie. Wonder if he'll be a reoccurring character, he is played well, but then again IRL trolls have so little life that they tend to not be interesting enough to be around when offline. But that is not the case w/ that character, so will be interesting to see what role he plays.

- That box of wings/pulp fiction briefcase reference, haha.

- Those gangsters in the show, wondering now if they will end up being primary antagonists after the deal that was made with them.

- The way violence has been depicted so far is impressive with how it shocks you and seems realistic, more so than it tends to be in other shows I watch that depict violence. It isn't romanticized or glorified in any way, it just happens.

- When Paper had to put the phone on speaker and Earn was going off about what they were saying about the deal, holy fuuuuuuuu haha.

25. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

Weird one so far