Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Astronautalis Covers PUP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 10, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  2. jorbjorb

7 rings

well that was bad.

3. jorbjorb likes this.
  4. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

It at least made me want to put on The Dream Is Over.

skogsraet and crunchprank like this.
  5. AgainstMe182

I thought it was awesome. I liked it better than anything off the new album (except Kurt contain...that song rips)

Kingjohn_654 likes this.
  6. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

I can't be unbiased about the cover because Astro's been one of my favourite artists for like a decade now, and PUP's been my favourite local band for several years now, and it's cool to see him so excited by their music.

I'm not surprised that some of PUP's fans who don't know him aren't a fan of it, because it's not a great intro to his music, and I can even see some of his fans not feeling like this cover plays to his strengths either. It's fun when artists try and stretch their style to cover another, and it's a curious case of it, whether it's objectively well done, I can see arguments for and against.

Regardless, so stoked for his upcoming Canadian tour!

AgainstMe182 and BEsterley like this.
  7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

He seems... interesting. Mind giving me a place to start?

Butinsmallsteps likes this.
  8. Craig Ismaili

@tgscraig Prestigious

That was uhh.... terrible. DJ should be embarrassed by that attempt at scratching haha

Ourchestra likes this.
  9. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

This is offensive.

10. KyleK

Let's get these people moving faster! Supporter

That's pretty tough, because he's really evolved his style with every album release. But I suppose I'd recommend starting with his album This Is Our Science, it probably illustrates his scope of style the most, it showcases his songwriting/storytelling well, and the opener The River, The Woods is one of my favourite songs of his.

All that said, I recognize he isn't for everyone, and there are some cringe-inducing moments in that cover that I can forgive because I know what he's capable of both when being serious with his music, or being silly.

crunchprank likes this.
  11. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

This is Our Science would probably be his most wide-reaching release. That was my introduction into him, but all of his music is really great. His style, especially with his earlier stuff, is hard to explain. But worth checking out. New album (Cut the Body Loose) was great too.

crunchprank likes this.