Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

As Cities Burn Band • Page 12

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by GettingSodas, Mar 31, 2016.

1. OotyPa

fall away

I like Crimson. Reminds me of The Reptilian's last record.

2. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Anti-TJ slander? Dang. When I remember this band, I still wonder how CNS would've sounded if he'd contributed vocals to a few of the songs.

They'll never release another album I'll love as much as those first two albums, but even if they can't quite match that third album for me, I'll still welcome another full length from them with open arms. Last time I revisited "Prince of Planet Earth," I actually dug it a decent it; an album in the vein of that and "84 Sheepdog" could be cool. I was a huge Haste the Day fan back in the day, so it'll be cool if Keech actually contributes to that.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  3. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Cns would be worse with him on it because his role is pretty niche and wouldn't work with that sound.

beachdude and Larry David like this.
  4. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

gonna have to do a cns revisit now. what an album.

5. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I go back and forth between HOHW and CNS being my favorite, both records are phenomenal. Give me more indie rock ACB.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  6. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

I'll go into new material with an open mind, even though I wasn't huge on the 2015 singles. It'll have been a decade since they last released an album next year, and I'll be happy just to have them making music again. As much as I'd love a direct continuation of their last two albums, I also don't think it's necessarily fair to expect that.

7. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

Disagree. I remember the response to CNS when it came out, but looking back over a decade later, it's an incredibly organic progression from SILYAYD. They're essentially two sides of the same coin, with a ton of overlap in style. You can even hear moments in, like, "The Tide" and "This is It" that were almost certainly initially written with TJ in mind.

awakeohsleeper and coleslawed like this.
  8. andrewcloer

Lurking AP since 2005. Lurking Chorus since 2016.

When they play this is it live, TJ actually does a lot of the lead vocals now.

coleslawed and Tim like this.
  9. Bryan Diem

Trusted

Those songs work because Cody sounds out of his comfort zone on those imo. I imagine TJ's approach would kill the impact for me. But hopefully ill see them in Philly and he'll prove me wrong

10. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

HOHW has Capo as the closer and CNS has Timothy. Case closed.

I still think not officially including Gates on HOHW was a big mistake.

coleslawed and Bryan Diem like this.
  11. Lucas27

Trusted

Does anyone think of Capo as the actual closer on HOHW though? I’ve always had the version with Gates and it’s perfect. I don’t think of it as a bonus track and iTunes doesn’t list it as such so it’s the closer far as I’m concerned.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  12. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's greyed out on apple music and considered to be a bonus track. It was never officially included on the album.

Lucas27 likes this.
  13. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

So, has Hell or High Water ever been pressed on vinyl?

I have SILYAYD, and am thinking of grabbing CNS.

14. travisred

Trusted Supporter

I've only had Gates as the closer, but yeah. Timothy is probably their best song, but alot of high moment on HOHW.

15. travisred

Trusted Supporter

They said like almost two years ago that is was going to be pressed soon but here we are...

16. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

That was right before they "broke up" again, right?

I think i was still so annoyed by their antics at that point, I wasn't paying them much mind.

17. travisred

Trusted Supporter

Yup I believe so. So maybe they'll press it here soon if they're starting back up again?

18. cyclones_37

I built this vessel and it could capsize anytime Supporter

upload_2018-9-25_12-18-10.png
    upload_2018-9-25_12-18-31.png

From their FB page a few weeks ago, doesn't sound very promising at this point

beachdude and Kevin360 like this.
  19. Colin Your Enthusiasm

So it was never pressed on vinyl that one? That's pretty crazy.

20. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Great news that they have recorded. '84 Sheepdog is proof that this band can marry the HOTW/CNS style with TJ's vocals. I hope they pull it off and that next year's record lives up to the legacy of the first three.

21. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

I remember reading that Tooth & Nail included Gates as a bonus track - it wasn't the band's choice and they didn't want it there. I have it as the final track to HOTW even if it wasn't intended to be included by the band it's a great song and works as a closer.

22. andrewcloer

ironically, i don't think the band ever wanted to make HOHW in the first place. I remember something to that extent on a interview I heard. They did it to fulfill the contract. I need to grab Aaron's new book.

23. awakeohsleeper

I do not exist.

Yeah, I remember them saying that too. Amazing how it turned out with that in mind.

Has anyone read that book? I haven't read his first one either yet. Need to get on that.

24. bedwettingcosmo

i like bands who can't sing good Supporter

its weird to me that they are still a band. i always got the feeling that they hated being a band lol

25. andrewcloer

They seem to have a very different outlook now. TJ told me they are looking to do 45-90 days of touring next year depending on how the record goes. Cody seems very happy to be playing again. When I saw them in Atlanta back in June he even played The Widow (mostly like the cornerstone version) and told everyone they sang it beautifully. It was a very different vibe then previously. They had done two weird versions of the widow since they came back in 2012.

coleslawed likes this.