Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 17, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Where will it go?

2. goation

Regular

Probably take up too much space on my wall in my tiny room lol. I want to frame it. I think it will be a cool thing to have when I get my own space. the film impacted me a lot and is one of my current favorites so I think it's worth remembering

airik625 likes this.
  3. brentkid

Regular

This was excellent. One of my favorite films I've seen in a long time.

goation likes this.
  4. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

Joe and coleslawed like this.
  6. Davjs

Trusted

I know this movie has gotten so much love, but I just finished it and man what a bore. I'm all for slow burns but I expected this to add up to something, not a twist where the climax is finding out she can see the future.

I thought the trailers did an awesome job of not showing the aliens do anything or any action, but come to find out the aliens just don't do anything and there isn't a single drop of action.

I get that the story is creative and different, but not what I expected from a movie with Aliens, esp with all the hype.

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

more movies with aliens that aren't action movies please

spielberg 4ever

8. We get plenty of action and thrills from sci-fi movies already, so I'm always welcome to the more cerebral stuff.

jkauf, Fronnyfron and goation like this.
  9. Davjs Jan 17, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 17, 2017)
    Davjs

Trusted

I mean, if you are going to compare it to the other alien movie we got in 2016 that was just all explosions and action, this one takes the cake and eats it all lol. Doesn't mean I'm still not super disappointed that the pay off was weak and we didn't get any cool Alien scenes other than them spelling.

10. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Honestly wish every alien movie had long scenes of them spelling.

11. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I liked this, but I kinda have to agree. This wasn't worth the hype. My least favorite of the Villeneuve films I've seen.

dadbolt, EngineDown and Davjs like this.
  12. Davjs

Trusted

It's a good small story for sure with good dialog and all that, but with the hype I guess I expected some huge ending or something.

13. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

Quiet, understated endings can say beautiful things. Like, even being aware of all the pain that will come with living the life one wants, would one still do it? Just a gorgeous, personal, emotional ending amidst a world changing situation and the highest stakes.

14. I think my only gripe with the film, despite it not really being that pertinent to the story, is that we're not told why the aliens will need our help in 3000 years. It is totally not the point of the movie at all but I just wish I knew the specifics there haha. Unless I just missed it, twice.

15. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

Seems like you didn't like it because it wasn't the movie you wanted it to be. There are plenty of alien action movies but there aren't many like this movie.

goation likes this.
  16. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

The ending made me roll my eyes outta my skull.

Davjs likes this.
  17. We should be so lucky.

SpyKi likes this.
  18. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

That's rather rude.

19. Davjs

Trusted

Yeah that's a great point.

eh, interstellar was also a slow movie that had Aliens (or advanced beings) that didn't do anything and a twist ending. This is miles ahead of Interstellar though. But yeah, you are correct. I didn't think it was going to be action, maybe more scary or thriller but I didn't expect nothing to happen at all.

20. Davjs

Trusted

I love the idea of the ending a lot, how she chooses that life even though she'll know how it ends poorly for her. It's just you set up all this cool Alien story and do nothing with it and focus on that angle? It's an awesome idea that should have been in another movie. No matter what anyone says, an alien movie that has the climax of a phone call while the aliens spell is boring.

21. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

The more I think about this movie the more and more I love it.

jkauf, Jason Tate, SpyKi and 2 others like this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

Tfw you come for aliens and get emotionally resonant science fiction about time, memories, and freedom of choice instead.
    [​IMG]

23. This is probably my favorite movie of 2016 but I haven't seen many movies in the last year

24. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

goation and coleslawed like this.
  25. Morrissey

Trusted

There is a really good first half here, even if a lot of imagery is borrowed from 2001. Making China the villain has a racist undertone to it, and the need to hype up the potential for violent conflict undermines the deliberate pacing of the rest of the film.