Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 17, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

the ending was insanely too drawn out, but then again i had to pee, so it could've just felt like forever

2. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

Song Exploder: Jóhann Jóhannsson - Arrival
    Jóhann Jóhannsson - Arrival — Song Exploder — Overcast

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  3. The score for this movie was great. Found out my favorite part of the score was actually contributed by Max Richter. The article I read said it was also used in Stranger Than Fiction and Shutter Island, both of which I've seen but not in a long time.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  4. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The original "This Bitter Earth" by Dinah Washington is beautiful and I loved what the score did with it. The original song was used in the Shutter Island credits

5. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Really loved this movie, had me captivated the whole time.

6. cshadows2887

Hailey, It Happens @haileyithappens Supporter

I loved this so much.

Only issue was the varied pacing. The beginning is very deliberate and then they just blast headlong through the decoding of the language. I get that not everyone would want the movie to stretch out to 2 hours and 20 minutes or something for a bunch of linguistic details, but fuck man I totally would.

7. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Same, I would have loved to get more details about how the language worked!

8. All the thumbs up.

9. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

11. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Yeah, this was excellent

12. AndrewSoup

It's A Secret To Everyone Prestigious

saw this today and was just blown away. love seeing these types of hard sci-fi movies about big themes and heady shit like that

coleslawed likes this.
  13. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Got home about ten minutes ago from seeing this.

Loved it. Simple, but complex. Amy Adams was perfect, and the last ten or so minutes were moving as fuck. Such a different, yet amazing take on an alien movie. The themes of humanity in this are insane.

14. wordzanddreamz

and a millions screams...

this is one of the best movies i have seen in a very long time. the number one thing i want to be when i leave a movie is inspired and this film did that on several levels.

15. Ken

entrusted Prestigious

This was good. I felt like some of the clues early on made the story a little too predictable, but it was so well acted and directed. I really enjoyed the experience of seeing this and will definitely recommend it to friends, but I'm not sure if I will be in a rush to watch it again.

16. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Finally got around to seeing this. Villeneuve is a true master at his craft. Incredible film. Definitely one of my favorites of the year.

17. y2jayjk

Trusted Prestigious

Saw this today and I was floored

airik625 likes this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Even though I knew the line was coming, bug when Jeremy Seeber said, "it was you", at the end, I definitely got a little ready eyed. Didn't expect to get so emotional.

Bloodsucker II and coleslawed like this.
  19. Seeing this for a second time today finally, with my buddy who's second time it will also be and my girlfriend who has not seen it at all yet. Sooooo hyped

20. Matt Chylak

I can always be better, so I'll always try. Supporter

Okay, so I just saw this and really liked it. Especially enjoyed the palindromic nature of the plotting, and appreciated the way that it slowly teaches you the film's language as a really smooth, thought-provoking parallel to the linguistic machinations of the plot.

I've never found Amy Adams to be an especially compelling actress but this film uses her in a really smart way, as that same kind of pre-event blank malaise can easily be read as post-event repressed grief. The ending was also a pretty heart-tugging difference from your standard... let's call it "Gravity motivations". This woman's story ends really fucking sadly, and the way she wades into it anyway resonated with me in a way in which I had not planned, nor had I thought the film had properly laid groundwork for that kind of reaction.

---

Minor plot mechanic pickiness ahead.

The only real narrative "cheat" to me is the ending. Felt a bit like a deus ex machina (or perhaps more accurately a deus ex chonos). Basically the idea is that she "would" learn the language at some point and thus be able to command its interpretation of circular time. But couple that premise with the plot device that one of the few pieces of information she would "happen" to remember is the exact thing she needs in that moment... well, it doesn't hold up great for me on thinking back on it. That said, my mind was certainly twisted and it has the added value of pushing me to a solid "WTF Happened" second viewing, preferably soon.

I also didn't love the part on the first helicopter ride where Ian quotes from her book. Is the idea that the preface he's quoting is a different book from the one on alien linguistics that she publishes in the future? Because while it's entirely plausible that she would have written a book as a top person in her field, the mislead just felt kind of unnecessary.

Anyway, Arrival is a great movie and certainly worth seeing in theaters.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  21. Dog with a Blog

Saw this twice. I work at a movie theater and the first time was just for a quality check. It was about 2 in the morning, I was sitting alone in a movie theater that seats about 700 people, and I was pretty much bawling by the time it got to the end lol. Not sure if this or La La Land is MOTY, apples and oranges, but god damn I love this movie.

EDIT: Also, working in a movie theater is super interesting because you see such varied reactions. I've had a decent amount of people who have walk out incredibly moved, one lady in tears, but there have also been a bunch of douche bros who are upset it's not Independence Day, which makes me laugh.

Fronnyfron and trevorshmevor like this.
  22. goation

Regular

The score is so beautiful. I listened to it today and it really stands as it's own piece of art very well. I loved it in the film, though. When "First Encounter" plays when they are first going up to the aliens my entire theater was dead silent. I had to remind myself to breathe.

23. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

holy fuck I'm so glad I finally caught up with this

24. Aregala Dec 28, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 28, 2016)
    Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

Can Denis Villeneuve shoot my life plz

25. goation

Regular

Got a 27 x 40 theatrical poster for this from Regal. It's going to be so cool