Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016) Movie • Page 4

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Derek

Get stung

I go to the theater MAYBE once a year. I think I might go see this Monday on my day off.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  2. jmwhit04

May Your Music Break My Eardrums Prestigious

Man, when it all came together at the end, I can't describe the wave of emotion that hit me.

Ferrari333SP likes this.
  3. EngineDown

formerly known as chill yoshi

this reminds me of interstellar, and a few other nolan movies, but denis just executes 100x better. incredible.

4. ChrisCantWrite

Trusted Prestigious

This excites me.

EngineDown likes this.
  5. Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

In Nolan I trust, but there was something about Arrival that had a grip on me even stronger than Interstellar does/did.

fenway89 likes this.
  6. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

Loved everything about this. Just really well-made in every aspect.

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

I loved how they scienced (and languaged) the shit out of communicating with them

I spent half the movie thinking Louise had recently lost Hannah, and calculating what it would mean for someone her age to have had a teenaged daughter, kid in elementary school while she's getting her doctorate in linguistics

also I was so happy they for the most part didn't make Ian and Louise's relationship romantic and more mutual respect for each other's intellect and got kinda mad when they threw that in there, not every movie needs romance just because there's a male and female lead

Zilla, Ferrari333SP and EngineDown like this.
  8. Guys Named Todd

Regular Prestigious

I aasuned this was going to be good based in the reviews, but I was not ready to love it as much as I did. I also wasnt expecting it to have such an emotional impact. Has anyone read the short story they based this on?

y2jayjk likes this.
  9. FrenzalRob

Melbourne, AUS Supporter

Can't wait for this. The fact that people are saying it throws more emotion at you than Interstellar is a huge draw card. That movie hit me right in the fucking heart.

That plus the fact that sci-fi is just awesome.

10. amorningofsleep

No-rope barbed wire Jones

Damn good film. Although it's difficult for me not to love a movie about aliens.

11. I have prioritized seeing this ASAP

y2jayjk, coleslawed and Ferrari333SP like this.
  12. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

For those who haven't seen it: loved it, go see it.

For those who have when the twist unfolded and everyone figured it out with the daughter in the future rather than the past, the gasps in my theater were audible. It's been a long time since a movie has really memorized an audience like that.

domotime2 likes this.
  13. Lucas27

Trusted

Sci-fi is one of those genres where, if it's done right, it's my favorite genre. But for every good sci-fi film, I feel like there's always ten Oblivions where the movie is just a rehash of a hundred different sci-fi tropes. All this to say, the buzz for Arrival already has me convinced it'll be one of my favorites. So excited.

14. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

My theater didn't really have that moment; I don't think there was one specific moment in the film where that was explicitly revealed, from my memory. To tell you the truth, I actually didn't realize that's what happened until after leaving the theater and discussing it with my friend. Then I was like "Ohhhhhhh, now it all makes sense"

15. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Think I'm going to see this again

16. jjnunn118

Signal Vs. Noise Prestigious

Saw this yesterday and was absolutely floored. The first 15 minutes or so, basically until Forest Whitaker shows up, is the most beautiful and heartbreaking opening I've seen since Up.

y2jayjk and Kevin360 like this.
  17. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I've been dying to see this since it was announced, but I'm kind of worried that I'll be disappointed after all this hype. Hope not.

Will hopefully go see it tomorrow on discount day.

imthesheriff likes this.
  18. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

Absolutely fantastic. Been thinking about it all day. (I hated Interstellar, this is a thousand times better)

19. Ferrari333SP Nov 14, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 14, 2016)
    Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

20. flask

Trusted Supporter

For me, nothing tops a well made sci-fi film. I haven't loved one this much since Children of Men. Can't wait to see what he does with Blade Runner.

21. This was phenomenal. Ambitious in its concept, some simple yet interesting visual ideas, and an emotional core. It's everything I could've asked for. I hope it gets a lot of recognition during awards season. I haven't left the theater with my brain teased and my heart strings pulled like this since Interstellar. When I first saw the Heptapods, it definitely reminded me of the visual of the spider in Enemy.
    I've seen Denis Villeneuve's four most recent films now, and they're all fantastic. I'm very excited to see his Blade Runner.

jkauf and angel paste like this.
  22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

fucking loved this so much.

the only flaw was ian's last line, dear god

23. chewbacca110

He wrenches on it. He thinks it's his.

Even though I knew that cheesey line was coming, it still felt impactful.

Saw this last night and couldn't stop thinking about it today.

coleslawed likes this.
  24. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

That line really didn't bother me. I understand why it felt unearned, as their relationship wasn't the focus of the story at all. But at the same time, they were there working together night and day together, and he's a nerdy scientist. I get it.

y2jayjk, DeviantRogue and coleslawed like this.
  25. brandon_260

Trusted Prestigious

This is fine. But it also just feels like so many other sci fi movies smashed together. Last 5 minutes are dreadful.

popdisaster00 likes this.