Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arrival (Denis Villeneuve, 2016) Movie • Page 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Jun 17, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I doubt it will win, but it will probably get a nomination.

kyle likes this.
  2. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Def seeing this Friday night

3. SLADE775

RiverCityScumbags Prestigious

Really want to see this... But I feel like I cashed my movie chips in for this month on Dr. Strange... (life with kids)

stayillogical likes this.
  4. kidwithhelmet

WELCOME THRILLHO Supporter

Double dipping on Saturday with this and Hacksaw. Gonna be a good day.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. goosetoph

u wut m8?

Just saw this movie tonight. It's pretty much a perfect movie. Profoundly moving piece of cinema.

6. goosetoph

u wut m8?

If the Academy can look past it being in the sci-fi genre (which for some reason they disregard) it definitely has a chance based on what it has to say about humanity, love, life, time, etc. Great direction, cinematography, score, and Amy Adams gives one of her best (if not her best) performance. Jeremy Renner is convincing as a physicist and the rest of the cast is top notch. I was moved to tears a few times, definitely at the end.

DeviantRogue likes this.
  7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I thought it was pretty good, but the ending was a little too on the nose. Would recommend it though.

8. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

I was watching with my jaw dropped after like 3/4 through. This is so well done. Such a grand picture.

SteveLikesMusic and imthesheriff like this.
  9. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

Yeah this is a fucking excellent film.

imthesheriff likes this.
  10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

The more I think about it the more I like it, especially Adams' performance. The film has the cleverness in structure and filmmaking of some of Christopher Nolan's stuff, but with way more earned and impactful humanity, emotion, and warmth than Nolan has ever been able to accomplish.

11. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

A+. This is my sleeper surprise of the year, really didn't see it coming.

12. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Wow this was incredible

13. Kevin360 Nov 11, 2016
    (Last edited: Nov 12, 2016)
    Kevin360

Someday I’ll find me Prestigious

No hyperbole.

This film is absolutely incredible. I haven't walked away from a film in such a way since Interstellar, but even then, I think this has left me with reverberating thoughts that will effect me for long long time.

Joe and fenway89 like this.
  14. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

I did think of Intersteller during this, they have similar goals and thematics, but Arrival accomplishes a hundred times what Interstellar did.

This movie is 98% really great. I have minor, minor things that I wish had been done differently or changed or omitted. The only thing that really, really detracts is Renner's dumb fucking line to Amy Adams at the end where he says nothing blew him away as much as she did or whatever. It's out of a different movie, it's obnoxiously overt when the rest of the film lets so much exist naturally and beautifully and in subtext or in the implied. It's a bad line.

Overall I've really come around to it, I liked it a lot leaving the theater last night but wasn't really going nuts, and now I think it might crack my top ten.

15. DeviantRogue

Take arms, it'll all blow over Prestigious

That line was super cheesy agreed.

And yeah a lot of the same themes as Interstellar but much much better.

16. Kevin360

I loved that line.

But I also loved the "love transcends" monologue in Interstellar.

17. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

I absolutely hated the line "Go ask your dad, he's the science guy" after Jeremy Renner said earlier something about being "a man of science." Revealed way too much for me.

imthesheriff likes this.
  18. drewinseries

Drew

It was so obvious he was the father that I wish the film took the "you don't need to know to feel the weight of this" approach they did with the whole needing humanity in 3000 years, or more about the actual species themselves. It felt really out of place. Also when he said "let's make a baby" the framing was really odd it felt like he said it to her at the site of the ship instead of years later. Came off incredibly cheesy/lame/funny.

19. timcsheehan

Regular

Yeah I thought this was really very good. definitely a sleeper for some people. a few minor problems with it for me

The relationship between Adams and Renner felt SO forced to me. There was no sort of attraction or romantic buildup at all until the scene at the very end with that cheesey line. It was just like all of a sudden they were in love?

Also, wtf was up with that montage narration midway through? i get why the montage was necessary, but I really wish the narration would have been diegetic somehow. maybe Renner writing or giving a report to someone. just felt out of place with the rest of the movie.

20. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

This was quite a film, I do agree with some of it being on the nose at times (especially the last few minutes, I kept thinking "okay I get it!") but it's nothing like in interstellar when all the action stops to explain wormholes to the audience lol

also was wondering:
    [​IMG]
    do you think it's just Villenue's style because the aliens seemed very similar to super tall spider in Enemy? maybe he will develop a Cronenberg like visual effect aesthetic, that would be cool.

also want to say that the whole scene with the bomb in the ship had me on the edge of my seat for a solid 10 minutes lol and the scene when Amy Adams goes in alone was gorgeous

also the music/sound design in this was pretty amazing.
    definitely one of the better films of this year, will watch it again!

21. angel paste

grey hairs, get out of me zoots! Prestigious

images don't go in spoiler tags eh? well it's not in this movie so don't worry

22. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Agree with all points above. Still a stellar film

By the way, the composer of the score, Jóhann Jóhannsson, is amazing; released a new album last month titled "Orphee". Saw him live a couple of weeks ago and was blown away. The score for this film was moving and beautiful. Check out one of the tracks from "Orphee" below

23. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

This (those choir voices)

angel paste likes this.
  24. stayillogical

Kayak, deed, rotator, noon, racecar, Woo Young-woo Prestigious

Every time that music started, I thought it was the beginning of a Radiohead song.

fenway89 likes this.
  25. Kevin360

Present Tense was the song that played on shuffle (out of thousands of songs on my phone) as my wife and I were driving home from the theater.

Felt appropriate.

fenway89 and coleslawed like this.