Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Armor For Sleep Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Aug 15, 2016.

1. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I already have WTDWYD on vinyl but if it’s deluxe and has enough extra new stuff to warrant a purchase - I definitely will. That record means the world to me and I’ve been having the whole album on repeat at work in celebration. I think I’m on my 3rd repeat right now lol

Anyways - definitely will be at the San Francisco date!

2. mattylikesfilms Feb 24, 2020
    (Last edited: Feb 24, 2020)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I listened to Smile For Them the other night and it’s easily their weakest effort. Very half filler/half killer but the songs that are great are really great.

Smile For The Camera, Hold The Door, Run Right Back In, Lullaby, Stars in Your Eyes, Chemicals (If you can ignore the amateur lyrics), My Saving Grace are *chef’s kiss*

3. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

For real. This album was the real shit. I think if WTDWYD was released first, and DTMB was second, it'd definitely get the same recognition, maybe more. Such a genuinely great album of that era, and I find AFS were better before they started to play into themselves and the scene too much. Some of the mall rock, hating on shit, was just a bit wank.

zachmacD likes this.
  4. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

I have 2/3 of the vinyl varients. I think I have like 5 copies.

Missing the pink.

5. zachmacD

Trusted

[
    what do you mean by playing into themselves?

6. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

More that they were a bit too self-aware of the music they were making. The first album seemed to draw on influences, whereas the later albums all seemed to be an attempt to fit the scene, and what was popular. In a weird way, their first album was their most mature, in my opinion.

zachmacD likes this.
  7. zachmacD

Trusted

I’ve been kicking myself for skipping the 10 year tour and the vinyl so both of these are a must. Unfortunately, none of my friends really liked these guys and my gf will be away that weekend, so I’ll be attending solo.

Still excited though. My friend from California and I traveled to NYC for their first reunion and they opened with Awkward Last words. So goddamn good

manoverboard365 likes this.
  8. BTDandFeelingThis

Now I Know This World Isn’t Spinning Just For Me Prestigious

Are you willing to part with any of those.

I kid.

9. zachmacD

Trusted

gotcha. I personally thought mychem took the cake for that so I never really minded their take on it. I agree with your original point though. I find myself going back to dream to make believe much more often. Car underwater, imo, is so damn cheesy. Love the rest of the album though

10. manoverboard365

Trusted

The show at Irving? What an awesome show that was. I ended up going to the after party and drinking with Nash until they kicked us out at 5am. I'll never forget that night, although they probably have no recollection of who I am lol

Delysid and zachmacD like this.
  11. zachmacD

Trusted

Yes! I remember being at that show and some guy in the pit pushed another guy for whatever reason and that guys gf smacked the guy back. The guy that got smacked then punches her directly in the face. One of the most wild things I’ve ever seen

12. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I made a music video for that song in PowerPoint for a class project in 11th grade. Must have listened to over 100 times in one week. I rarely listen to this band anymore but that song is permanently etched in my brain.

JM95 likes this.
  13. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

The track that is the worst for me is Williamsburg, off of the third album. It's the sort of stuff that pop punk can get away with, but when an emo/alternative band does it, it just comes off as snotty & sarcastic.

"Too hip to even clean your nose out"
    "Do you know how obvious you are? You were born in New Hampshire but you say you're from the O.C."
    "Brooklyn's a death bed, for clones of the same kid. Stuck in a party that was lame to begin with"

Painful.

Of course, I'm mostly talking lyrically. Musically, there are some really great moments on WTDWYD, although I find on the whole the songs flowed less well, and felt underdone. Almost a bit rushed.

zachmacD and mattylikesfilms like this.
  14. cbronder1

Regular

Armor for Sleep means the world to me. They were very influential to me in my late teens/early 20s, and I still jam their music pretty often today. I only saw them for the first time back when they toured in 2015, and I'm definitely getting tickets for this again. What to do when you are dead and dream to make believe are 2 of the best albums to come out of this scene.

K0ta and JM95 like this.
  15. zachmacD

Trusted

oh yeah, when they released that song I knew the album was going to suck. That and that song from the transformers soundtrack

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Somebody Else's Arms has basically been stuck in my head for 13 years so that's my take away from Smile For Them. Also Smile For the Camera is a banger

zachmacD likes this.
  17. FlayedManOfSF

Trusted

[]]

Oh boy~! I just saw you put San Francisco and my heart skipped a beat - I'll definitely be at this tour. I only saw them once with like Atreyu or something back in the day.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. Bane

The spiciest meme

Ok now you guys are taking YOURSELVES too seriously lol, I love how fun those lyrics are. Those are the kind of lyrics that you drunkenly yell-sing out during karaoke reminiscing about the mid 2000s. Especially with Ben's voice, it's the perfect kind to singalong to.

Delysid likes this.
  19. JM95

Trusted

The lyrics aren't why I like AFS so it doesn't really bother me.

zachmacD and bradsonemanband like this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Those damn coastal elites lol

21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I am also team Williamsburg. Never really paid that much attention to the lyrics though I just kind of went with it

kkhawk24 and manoverboard365 like this.
  22. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

My town -> wanderers guild -> frost is such a good run

Delysid, zachmacD, JM95 and 1 other person like this.
  23. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Tonight at 12, we change ourselves.

im really fucking bummed this isn’t coming to the northwest, But that’s pretty par for the course For 2020 shows so far so...

JM95 likes this.
  24. midnightxtaylor

Regular

I asked them to please add Portland, and they responded with a sad emoji... so I'm looking at cost to go to SF, even though I can't really afford it.

TJ Wells likes this.
  25. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Something that's sadly overlooked too often (perhaps cause it's not available on streaming services) is the band's final release - The Way Out Is Broken EP.

It's songs that didn't make the cut for Smile For Them and I wish it did as it would have made the record stronger (minus We'll Own The World) in my opinion.

Anyways, since I am on a full-blown AFS kick - I made a playlist of what I think would have been a pretty solid record. I also think the title The Way Out Is Broken is a much better title than Smile For Them. The same goes for the artwork of the EP vs Smile.

The Way Out Is Broken
    1. Smile For The Camera
    2. Vanished
    3. Hold The Door
    4. This Abyss
    5. Run Right Back In
    6. Stars In Your Eyes
    7. Know What You Have
    8. Lullaby
    9. Chemicals
    10. My Saving Grace
    11. The Way Out Is Broken

Just sayin' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Delysid, disambigujason and JM95 like this.