Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Armor For Sleep Band • Page 10

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

Just quoting my own post, as I've just listened to Ben talk about this with Shane Told on Lead Singer Syndrome, and funny to hear Ben say it was just a weird off-piste song they put on a demo just to give something to the record label who weren't happy with the songs so far. Also felt pretty brutal how open Shane was about the album bombing lol. Crazy how young they all were when they put the first two albums out!

manoverboard365 likes this.
  2. manoverboard365

Trusted

I loved this podcast episode, but yeah I think Shane went way too hard in letting Ben know he didn't like the third album lol. Especially since I didn't think the album was THAT bad. And even though their core fan base didn't love it, I'm pretty sure it was their most successful chart wise and singles wise. They even got a song on the Transformers soundtrack for god's sake!

zachmacD likes this.
  3. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Hold the door is a top 10 song

zachmacD, manoverboard365 and Greg like this.
  4. TJ Wells

Trusted Prestigious

Ben Jorgensen predicted GoT.

5. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I’m like 3 years behind on my LSS but I need to hear Ben again

6. Yellowcard2006 Jun 9, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 9, 2020)
    Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Acoustic version of basement ghost singing included on this

7. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

Instagram says it's a new quarantine recording.

8. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Yeah just saw that.

New recordings are cool but new songs are cooler. Not sure if Ben's referenced doing any writing lately...

9. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I can’t remember what podcast it was but he actually sounded slightly optimistic on it. He said something along the lines of “if you asked me a few years ago - I would say no way but now? It definitely could happen”.

Fingers crossed!

JM95 likes this.
  10. ManchesterOrch8

Motel. Money. Murder. Madness.

He was never a GREAT vocalist, but this recording sounds good. Even when accounting for a bit of help in parts.

On the last tour, I was pleasantly surprised with how he sounded.

It’s weird talking about vocals with bands that are still so ‘young’. But the ‘scene’ was never known for killer voices.

What I’m trying to say is I want new AFS.

11. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I always really liked how imperfect his singing is, especially his unique voice.

I just listened to his lead singer syndrome podcast from like last year and he sounded really out of music. Hopefully that changes.

12. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

I think in that podcast, he suggested some vinyl re-issue or something for WTDWYD, but obviously they ended up actually putting a tour together for it. So it certainly must have changed a fair bit, I'd say.

disambigujason likes this.
  13. Been revisiting their discography for the first time in almost a decade. This band rips so hard.

14. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

Did a discography run last night and I still feel mixed about Smile but goddamn... What To Do When You're Dead is just as good 15 years later - if not better.

15. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Smile has some good songs and I liked DTMB but WTDWYAD is the one I've come back to consistently over the years

16. DTMB is still my main go-to AFS album, but WTDWYAD is definitely close.

zachmacD likes this.
  17. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think if you made a few swaps between DTMB and WTD you get one of the best scene albums full stop

18. manoverboard365

Trusted

I think I need to do a full discography run again, but I've always had WTD as their best with DTMB and Smile being equal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Smile doesn't deserve the hate it gets. It's got Lullaby and Hold the Door for crying out loud!

19. Two great songs doesn’t make an album great though. Their first two albums are solid gold front to back.

20. SmashRipsaw

Outcast Tape Infirmary

I remember downloading DTMB off of Kazaa or one of those sites, and didn't realize almost all of the songs were demos until I heard the actual album years later. So now the "real" songs sound weird to me.

21. mattylikesfilms Jun 12, 2020
    (Last edited: Jun 12, 2020)
    mattylikesfilms

Trusted

I really like about 70% of Smile. Hold The Door and Lullaby are definitely in that percentage as well.

The problem is that Smile still doesn’t meet the absolute quality found on WTDWYD at all.

I’ve said this plenty of times but if they kept the scrapped songs they later released on “The Way Out Is Broken” EP - they would have had a MUCH stronger record since all those songs are amazing and better than a lot of the songs off Smile. I would say cut “Williamsburg”, “Somebody Else’s Arms”, “Snow Globe”, “Chemicals” (only because it’s so half baked), and “Stand In The Spotlight” to make room for the songs.

Also; they should have named their record “The Way Out Is Broken” and closed the record with that title track. “Smile For Them” is cringe to me.

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

dream to make believe has this unreal ethereal atmosphere to it and for that it'll always be my favorite

zachmacD likes this.
  23. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

I think Run Right Back In and My Saving Grace are the only top tier songs on Smile but I think Hold the Door and Stand in the Spotlight showcase some real growth potential. Some others do too but the lyrics hold a lot back.

mattylikesfilms likes this.
  24. mattylikesfilms

Trusted

100%

disambigujason likes this.
  25. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I still think it’s such a shame these guys called it quits when they did. Whilst Smile didn’t hit all the cords, it showed growth and I really wanted to see where they went next.

I wonder what a new AFS record would sound like in 2020?

mattylikesfilms likes this.