Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Armor For Sleep Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by CoffeeEyes17, Aug 15, 2016.

1. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

Armor For Sleep were an emo/rock band. Their sophomore album, What To Do When You Are Dead, is widely regarded as one of the finest concept albums to come out of the scene in the early/mid 2000s.

Revisited WTDWYAD last night and it totally holds up. Very underrated, those songs are all so good and the concept works really well.

2. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Good band

3. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

One of my favorites. I like their entire catalog but What To Do... is definitely their best album. Wish they hadn't broken up when they did. Each album they released had something unique about it.

Penguin likes this.
  4. CoffeeEyes17

I really don't care for Smile all that much but yeah those first two are so good

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

If Smile had been an EP...

1. Smile For The Camera
    2. Run Right Back In
    3. Somebody Else's Arms
    4. My Saving Grace
    5. Stars In Your Eyes
    6. Hold The Door

Carmensaopaulo and CoffeeEyes17 like this.
  6. CoffeeEyes17

Yep yep yep would've been really good.

Some days I think Dream is my favorite AFS album. It's got a pretty wicked concept too, plus the songs are just great throughout

teebs41 likes this.
  7. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Yeah songs like Dream To Make Believe, All Warm, My Town, Being Your Walls, Frost and Front Steps make it easy to sway me towards it being the best. Depends on the day.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  8. CoffeeEyes17

Hah, we have very similar AFS opinions! Love all those tracks. Both albums are really underrated

Yellowcard2006 likes this.
  9. Threads

Regular Prestigious

I saw this and went running in case Dream finally got a vinyl pressing or something.

Welp while I'm here, Dream >>>> Dead > Broken > Smile. However, Run Right Back In is my fave AFS song.

10. CoffeeEyes17

Listened to Dream on my lunch break and yeah, it might actually be my favorite. That album is super......chilly? Like, it reminds me of winter and it's not quite as catchy as what came after but it's still excellent

11. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

Listen to What To Do When You Are Dead all the time. That bonus track is one, Very Invisible, is one of their best tracks.

Zac Djamoos likes this.
  12. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Real bummed I missed that anniversary tour

13. MegT585

Trusted

Been listening to these guys all day. Dream to Make Believe is such a good winter album.

CoffeeEyes17 and bradsonemanband like this.
  14. What To Do is def my favorite from these guys, but they never really had a "bad" release. I've always found Ben's voice a little grating though and have never been able to listen to them for too long in one sitting because of it haha

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  15. CoffeeEyes17

WTDWYAD is one of the best albums to come from that early 2000s emo rock scene. I discovered it and The Ugly Organ the same day and was blown away.

Joe4th likes this.
  16. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Apparently this came out 12 years ago today so I'm listening before bed for the first time in a couple of years, so good

KennedyBN and trevorshmevor like this.
  17. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

what a classic album

teebs41 likes this.
  18. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

What's this? WTDWYAD? Did you also listen to the b-side "Very Invisible"?

19. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Oh yea ha my bad

20. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love how the drums are mixed on the record, very unique for that time period. It's funny bc I didn't love the record when it came out, thought it was too "generic" but when I listen to it now all I can think is I wish more bands existed that sounded like this

21. Richard

Trusted Prestigious

WTDWYD felt like a classic album of that era, but it almost felt like it absorbed and pandered too much to it.

Dream to Make Believe for me feels like the better album in terms of unique songs that still hold up and hold up by themselves. It finishes really strong too. Slip Like Space gives me shivers listening to it now - the guitar tone and melodies in that song have a fantastically quality to them that takes me right back to being 14-15.

22. The moment the first Car Underwater chorus kicked in for the first time, I was completely sold

js977, jco3 and teebs41 like this.
  23. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

Is there music like this still being made? If so where can I hear it?

24. Kennedy

loomasleep.bandcamp.com Prestigious

HOLY CRAP. I havnt listened to WTDWYD for a couple years and I'm listening to it right now and it's DOOOOOOOOOIIIINNNN IT FOR ME. I've always loved and adored this record, I don't know why I took the hiatus from it. But yeah this record is actually like the best mid 2000s Emo album ever.

25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

So weird how good it sounds now years later