Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arkells Band • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by vidiviciveni, Dec 7, 2016.

1. AndrewRnR

Totally makes sense. I'm a raw rock and roll type person (big Guns N Roses fan, AC/DC, etc) so I love the in-the-face and probably why songs like Cynical Bastards is another favorite. But get what you mean... by reading your posts I know you are a huge fan of Michigan Left, which was my least favorite album by them. But the more I listen to it the more I love it. While Knocking is straight ahead 3 chord rock, I can appreciate the more poetic lyrics of Book Club, the musical phrasing of Agent Zero and the little guitar licks of that song and say Michigan Left or On Paper. I know you mentioned Making Due as one of the tracks you liked off Morning Report... I really dig that too and the little details like the bell and other little sound effects or keyboard pieces sprinkled in.

Will be interesting to see where they go next... as much as songs like "Private School" are great live, I think you said it best they are a little goofy. Which while might get some radio play, I feel like what got them to where they are now is the superb lyrics and blend of rock with a polish of pop.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. I'll be happy to see them blow up because they really are fantastic entertainers, but I could do with more intelligent songwriting.

Perhaps a bit off-topic, but if you like in-your-face rock, another underrated Canadian band you should check out is July Talk - they are a totally different vibe of music but are equally great live.

3. MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Bought tix for their Chicago show next week, arguably at the best venue in the city. Have missed them numerous times since hearing about them in winter 2016 so this should be a blast

vidiviciveni and irthesteve like this.
  4. vidiviciveni

Trusted

You're in for a great show, Max is one of the better frontmen in the biz and they are a blast to watch

cubsml34 likes this.
  5. MexicanGuitars Nov 4, 2017
    (Last edited: Nov 4, 2017)
    MexicanGuitars

Chorus’ Expert on OTIP Track #8 Supporter

Show was fantastic. Indeed, Max was a great frontperson and had everyone going. Crowd was super into it though regardless so vibes were fun as hell all around. Also overheard numerous people mentioning they first heard about em on their tour with FTHC, which is dope.

They played for like an hour forty too which was wild, including Running Down A Dream by Tom Petty, which also included the extraordinary opener Iron Tom.

6. Barcara

Regular

Frank and the Arkells are bigs fan of each other. The did a back to back Canadian/American tour where Frank headlined in the states and the the Arkells headlined in Canada.

Also, how is no one talking about Jackson Square in here!

7. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

^ Jackson Square is def my favorite from them!

Barcara likes this.
  8. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Pretty damn funkalicious, these guys are definitely following the theatrical pop direction

9. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

I can get down with this.

10. AndrewRnR

Late to this thread, but been given it a lot of listening and People's Champ is growing on me. Dug it at first for what it was, but now really liking the funk fun vibes from it. Though feels like they wrote it with hopes to drop in midst of playoffs for a tie in with sports playoffs. My only criticism would be is the way lyrics are written are a little similar to Knocking- ending with "thhhhhhat's me" and "it ainnn't you".

Will be interesting to see the direction the new album goes. I believe they said this isn't a one off like Knocking but rather the first single from the album. I'd be down with a rock meets Motown vibe.

11. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

12. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Jesus fuck what happened to this band

13. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Lookin for that hit