Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Arkells Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by vidiviciveni, Dec 7, 2016.

1. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Arkells are a Canadian 5-piece rock band that draw influences from Bruce Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac and Hall and Oates. Already huge in Canada, they are currently touring with Frank Turner and opening eyes and ears around the US and Europe.

Although I think their latest album, Morning Report (2016), is their weakest, this is a fantastic energetic rock band who draws from classic rock and pop with equal strength and puts on an incredible live show. Both Michigan Left (2011) and High Noon (2014) are incredible albums, and you're missing out hugely on some of the catchiest, most heart-pounding and beautiful music if you're not on this train yet.

Discography:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AndrewRnR

The Arkells just released what I think has to be one of their best songs yet. While they have been shifting towards more of a polished pop vibe in last few releases this is a great mix of old and new. Love the horns and in your face lyrics and vocals.

Surprised they don't get more love around here on the site or the US for that matter. They are HUGE in Canada. I'm flying to Toronto to see them this summer - they sold out the big 16k seat venue up there.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  3. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Just caught these guys in Nashville the other night. What a show. Hope they keep growing here in the states

vidiviciveni likes this.
  4. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Been on these guys since they opened up for Tokyo Police Club YEARS ago. I've loved watching them grow and become one of my favorite bands.

vidiviciveni and duritzfan13 like this.
  5. whitenblue88

The rivalry is back on

Their Shaky Knees set this weekend was one of my favorites from someone I hadn't heard of before the festival

vidiviciveni and duritzfan13 like this.
  6. duritzfan13

all we have is time

My first introduction to them was at Firefly last year. Had no idea who they were, but they blew me away. Been a huge fan since!

vidiviciveni likes this.
  7. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

if anyone lives on Long Island and attends Alive After Five in Patchogue this Thursday, Arkells is playing at the Blue Point Brewery stage, free show, probably around like 7-8pm.

8. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Great live set at Coachella this year

vidiviciveni likes this.
  9. vidiviciveni

Trusted

They do put on a hell of a live show, Max Kerman is just a dynamic frontman all around. That said, they are turning into a bit of a "party band", more concerned with a goofy freewheeling image than the pop/classic-rock sensibilities that got them big in the first place. Michigan Left from 2011 in particular is a gorgeous pop-rock album the entire way through.

10. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

they were SO GOOD last night. first time seeing them and was not disappointed at all.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  11. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Here's some more excellent tracks from them, beautiful classic rock/pop vibes on all of them:

"Come To Light"

"Book Club"

"Dirty Blonde"

"On Paper"

"Bloodlines"

Sean Murphy likes this.
  12. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

they closed with an incredible pop/synth cover of springsteen's "dancing in the dark". it was great.

vidiviciveni likes this.
  13. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Lol they generally do. Great cover choice though.

When they played my town they covered "Music at Work" by The Tragically Hip, brilliant.

14. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I've increasingly got a soft spot for this track too, its all over the radio in Canada.

These two from their latest album are pretty great also

15. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Wish they would blow up here so they'd tour the states!

16. vidiviciveni

Trusted

smowashere likes this.
  17. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I feel like they've been touring pretty regularly in the States the past few years.

18. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Yeah.. they literally came to Nashville multiple times this year alone. They did numerous US runs this year

smowashere likes this.
  19. vidiviciveni

Trusted

Are they pretty well received in the US? They seem like the kind of band that should sort of blow up but they only have in Canada so far

20. smoke4thecaper

out of context reference Supporter

Thank you for this! Guess I now understand why I never came across this news. Nowhere near me :(

They played Sasquatch Fest in May, I think, but too much of a trek for me personally (and expensive!). Really hope they get to the PNW one of these days - very happy they're so popular up north tho!

21. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I feel like they've slowly but surely been gaining more traction recently. The first "hit" they had was "11:11" in the U.S. But I've also been following them for a while, so maybe that's why I feel like they're currently on the up and up.

22. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I don't know how Leather Jacket wasn't the biggest hit on the continent

smowashere and irthesteve like this.
  23. AndrewRnR

^ Agreed about Leather Jacket. That chorus is so huge, don't know how that wasn't all over the radio in US.

What's everyone's thoughts on Knocking At The Door? I personally love it and think it is among their best songs. Feels like it does a good job of taking the best elements from each of their albums. Kinda reminds me of Whistleblower meets Boss.

And yeah they are slowly gaining traction here - I feel like they must be making a push to US radio because the station here in Tampa who has never played their stuff has been playing Knocking a few times a day. And talking to some friends elsewhere around the country that seems to be the case. I mean its been number in Canada for something like 14 weeks I have to think only a matter of time before it blows up down here.

Pretty awesome video of Knocking live from their big Toronto show.

smoke4thecaper and smowashere like this.
  24. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm glad it's helping them get popular but it's far from my favorite song by them. They've always had a bombastic element to their rock and roll, but this one is just too in-your-face for me - horns blaring, huge drums - they've lost a lot of their subtlety musically, if that makes sense. Some of my favorite songs by Arkells are slick little numbers that grow on you ("Where U Goin", "Agent Zero", "11:11"), and "Knocking at the Door" just doesn't work for me.

25. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

I love "Knocking at the Door," but not my favorite by any means. In fact, the song that sealed the deal for me and holds steady as my favorite to this day is "I'm Not the Sun."