Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande - Thank U Next (February 8, 2019) Album • Page 20

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. ComedownMachine

Prestigious Supporter

Weird because she’s trashed him on Twitter before

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Nuh

3. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

4. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

“Progress was made” ... “even if you do indeed disagree.”

Yeahhhh no progress was made with a man paid to say the things he says. Why even sit with him? Why doesn’t she have someone in her ear that’s just like “please don’t do this.”

5. Like she obviously didn't make him this way and in my experience guys like him are ALWAYS better off camera (all bluster) but all this is gonna do is serve as ~good PR~ for that trashbag and it just isn't helpful long term. That selfie is just such a terrible idea and I wish whoever she was with had been like girl. Think about it.

It's just privilege. Which again, not her fault but... very disappointing to see.

bigmike likes this.
  6. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

What I would give to be famous for one night and have piers ask me for a selfie so I could tell him to go fuck himself.

Letterbomb31 likes this.
  7. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

The only way I'd take a selfie with him:

8. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

i love that clip so much, every time i see it i watch it over and over again.

bigmike likes this.
  9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll be getting this soon from my favorite artist. :heart:

bigmike likes this.
  10. eight30

Regular

I think this is my favorite album from her? This and LM5 are dominating my spotify lately.

11. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

I think its her best, and it isnt close. The highs on Sweetener and DW are higher, probably on account of the songs having been worked on for longer/more produced, but the moment that shes having here and the honesty/messaging in this album is just incredible.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  12. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

beachdude likes this.
  13. Omni

Regular

I dunno man. The guy approached her and they had a conversation. It's not like he's her new best friend or she's endorsing anything he has said in the past.

14. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

bless her

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

16. Kiana

I think the selfie was unnecessary tbh and the convo was also unnecessary but like some ppl are lil baby lambs and think it will make a difference.

17. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

I think giving someone like Piers who has made his career out of being a terrible person the opportunity to get the pub of being in a picture/conversation with one of the most popular singers in the world is a wrong way to utilize your voice. Piers doesn’t need another outlet and she’s talking to a wall; the man is a disgusting vile human and always has been. He wasn’t looking for an honest convo he was looking for publicity and relevancy.

18. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

19. Like, Ari, "bruh", having a conversation with him is fine. But the selfie and the #futurefeminist hashtag combined with the posturing it enabled him to do? I'm kind of past trying to explain intent vs. impact to white women.

Good for her for having the spoons to converse with him, but that wasn't the point.

K0ta, Letterbomb31 and bigmike like this.
  20. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

read the whole thread

Anna Acosta likes this.
  21. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Ari's response in the thread too, to have it here

SmithBerryCrunch likes this.
  22. I believe her motives were not negative. However, as a queer person I also am very irritated by her response, which... sigh.

Straight folks, simply saying you respect something or someone isn't the same as actually respecting it, that's all I can say.

(In case anyone misinterprets what my issue is, I'm not saying one tweet - or rather, a thread she clearly didn't read - should make her pull out of the event or anything like that. My issue is a straight woman believing it's appropriate to center her cishet opinion over the feelings of someone in a marginalized community and to ~educate~ her on the issue, which is very much what this did. "other people have done it, I think there's room, this is important to me" isn't respectful. It's entitled. But, ya know, whatever.)

23. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

I don’t see why she had to respond it all. Not everything needs a long winded statement. Just listening and learning is being an ally. Pointing out that other straight people have headlined in the past to justify your headlining is....not

24. That's the part that she doesn't seem to get in all of this. She'll probably figure it out eventually, but... girl. How many times do you have to have shades of a similar conversation before it clicks?

bigmike and sophos34 like this.
  25. Kiana

I doubt Ariana literally told them to raise ticket prices but I assume she has a high booking fee which drove up ticket prices? Idk much about the event but if that assumption is correct then she's kinda tip toeing around that issue too.

Related note, It sucks that so many things geared towards minorities end up as these big capitalistic ventures that benefit large corporations and the wealthy. Like sometimes I'll see a cute feminist shirt or something but it doesn't advertise any proceeds going to a movement or charity like ok naw ur not getting my money exploiter!!