Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande - Thank U Next (February 8, 2019) Album • Page 17

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. mescalineeyes

just admit that I'm the fantasy Prestigious

She looks as dark as Nikki there that’s just weird no matter how you slice it

2. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Disagree on every single level. She is appropriating from a culture with the way she talks, acts, looks and performs musically without having to deal with the realities of what it’s like to be brown in America. That is garbage, full stop. And it’s not just her, either. She deserves to be dragged about it.

But I think if you’re unwilling to even look at a topic that’s been discussed — and still being discussed — you kinda show you don’t give a fuck about the discussion to begin with.

Anna Acosta, incognitojones and Zilla like this.
  3. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

for a sicilian person or any poc to be tan is not uncommon or problematic whichever way you slice it

as far as her look goes the appropriation argument is a weird argument to make here esp when its some non poc making it

beachdude and The Lucky Moose like this.
  4. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

idk anything about appropriation in her music people out there discussing that probably have their points to make

doing it on her appearance in this case is disgusting though

as for your last paragraph that is not whats happening here and you know it and youre trying to bait

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Italians aren't POC

Anna Acosta and bigmike like this.
  6. *whispers* no it’s not, read the fuckin thread

7. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

some are definitely. google it. they literally have middle eastern bloodlines esp from the south. they can have dark features and skin every bit of it. a bunch of different kinds of people from Italy. its very multicultural.

8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

[IMG]

9. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Italy is a big country with very different parts snd people. A large amount of Sicilians are quite literally ethnically ambiguous due to many, many years of migration mixed with a centrally located small landmass. But we’ve talked about this before. It’s not going anywhere.

beachdude likes this.
  10. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

But she is the palest of pale Italian. Even if we were to buy your premise the fact that she’s ACTIVELY changing her skin tone the more her music has moved towards a hip hop and r&b influence is not councidental. You’re just being a bit dense on this topic and I’m not attempting to bait you on anything. I have no dog in this fight other than “hey maybe we shouldn’t just steal all the good things from a culture without acknowledging it or casting aside anyone trying to help curb that.”

11. The Lucky Moose

This part is not actually true though, her first album was arguably her most R&B (and by extent hip hop), at least more than several after it. I mean, much of it was literally produced by Babyface.

beachdude and bigmike like this.
  12. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

she looks like she could be very tan on her own imo

having this argument opens up an entire can of worms for people on the offensive.

as far as the music goes yall are likely right

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Focus is playing at Panda Express right now. Forgot that song existed.

14. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Good point. Conceded.

15. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

C05BDF1E-55D3-4E61-B106-E67E92023DD2.jpeg
    ACED7B59-0CB5-4F53-BE10-01364AFEC1E4.jpeg
    AF52F32A-B5B0-4ECA-BF5B-74C9BCDD1EEF.png
    842E0A9B-CC39-4238-BAF3-776698905D4C.jpeg

Yeah you’re right. I didn’t think of that. She really is just so tan on her own which is why she’s definitely not tanned as her career grew.

16. The Lucky Moose

Many people from Northern Italy actually call people from Southern Italy black and there’s a huge discrimination problem. The fact that the people of the United States at some point decided that ALL Italians are suddenly white, as opposed to say Hispanic people, has more to do with USA-specific cultural developments than anything else. In fact, plenty of Italians aren’t what you’d usually clasify white, especially not Sicilians. In Europe, this US-style all encompassing classification of all Italians as white, as opposed to some Spanish people or even some Northern African people, has never happened in that way. It is a lot more nuanced. This is one of the reasons that this discussion is really difficult to have.

beachdude and Your Milkshake like this.
  17. Your Milkshake Feb 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2019)
    Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

18. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

You right you right it’s a sun tan

19. The Lucky Moose Feb 12, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 12, 2019)
    The Lucky Moose

Also, one more thing regarding her beig more tan now than she was before: Southern Italian actresses actually go to great lengths to stay pale in oder to get more roles and so on. The same happens in Turkey. It is a real problem. You MIGHT be surprised how pale you can be as opposed to your sun-tanned self depending on where you are from. I’m only vaguely Mediterranean (my grandmother is Italian and apparently we have had some Greek people in the family) and even I can look quite drastically different (compared to my German or Dutch friends) if I just spend a lot of time outside in the summer.

Not saying this does or doesn’t apply to her. Frankly I don’t know. I just think people don’t even consider it, which like I said is partly due to cultural reasons.

beachdude and Your Milkshake like this.
  20. As a lightskinned poc who deals with the fallout of that identity on the daily, this conversation is a weird mix of mind numbing and rage inducing on about a million different levels and even as a person whose skin actually gets that dark I would side eye MYSELF to the moon and back for darkening it as intentionally as she would have to in order to make a transition that extreme. Thank u, next.

Also, she's American and her base is here. The way we perceive race is different, yes, but... that's the experience we're talking about.

21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Again, there’s a twitter thread posted on page 2 or 3 that addresses the situation in more detail than I can while working. It touches on the Italian/Hispanic dichotomy in terms of ripping from black culture.

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

on top of ignoring the posts above about what some italian peoples heritages actually are

23. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Nah 100% not the case.

Edit: in terms of me ignoring other posts.

24. The person who just flat out said no when pushed to read back through the thread talking about ignoring posts cool cool cool

25. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I said no because I was frustrated at some people for being so casually gross