Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande - Thank U Next (February 8, 2019) Album • Page 16

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Also, in as far as I care about the Grammys at all (which isn’t a lot to say the least), I’m happy for Cardi and the significance of her winning as a female rapper.... but Swimming is a better album

2. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

argument: no one should livetweet the grammys

3. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

4. Rowan5215

An inconsequential shift as the continents drift.

yes! Watching Movies, Faces and Swimming are incredible, GOOD:AM and The Divine Feminine are really cool too. even his instrumental beat tapes have a shitload of talent

beachdude, Letterbomb31 and sophos34 like this.
  5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I think Ariana's tweet was understandably emotionally charged like no he's not entitled to win based off his death (since I've seen ppl around the internet call her entitled for thinking he should've won) but obviously she's gonna want to see him win and it's nothing against cardi

I don't think Ariana's tweets themselves are necessarily concerning but I do hope she's doing well. I feel like putting everything into work can help you stay productive and be therapeutic but those moments where it can't distract you can be so rough and debilitating too. I'm probably just projecting lmao but sis has been through a lot and every time she talks about Mac makes it clear that she's understandably still struggling with it

6. btr

Trusted Supporter

The other way to see it is that she was upset with them inviting Mac's family to the ceremony while knowing he didn't win

7. great tweet

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

9. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

plus i dont think she hits up every panthers game anymore :-/

10. (don't be sorry, her brownface will keep me from ever really loving her stuff until she cuts it out)

11. sophos34

Prestigious Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

honestly feel like she doesnt called out enough for this, and whenever she does its always critiqued in the way a "look" would.

13. Kiana

I mean she's def tanned and had plastic surgery so she doesn't look exactly like that anymore but also like.... Who cares? Aside from the appropriation that comes with the tanning which is legit and I guess the unattainable beauty standards that come with plastic surgery which I have a hard time like blaming women for that when we're told all our lives we're not good enough and then shamed when we cave into societal pressures and get work done to fit those impossible ideals but like anyWAY lol

14. I mean, to each their own but the appropriation is literally why I care. I don't really feel like splitting hairs over that because it's not any more okay when she does it than when Kylie does it, and I say that as a woman who exists in the same world with unreasonable beauty standards.

Edit: Basically, she darkens her skin because the aesthetic fits the musical style she's moved into. She likes it. Fine. But she's never going to get threatened with deportation, have her identification confiscated, be assaulted by a cop who calls you a dirty (slur I'm not repeating) or anything else like that, things which have happened to even my pasty Latinx butt because of things I can't control. So yeah, I care.

mescalineeyes and bigmike like this.
  15. Kiana

Maybe my comment was unclear cause That's why I called the appropriation legit. Cause that is a legit reason to care. But I guess I spoke more about the surgery cause I perceived that to be what most ppl were talking about, at least in the stuff i saw. It does bother me when the Kardashians do the surgery thing because they also sell extremely harmful and dangerous products to try and obtain their look and image that they know is only obtained through surgery but they choose to exploit women instead. To my knowledge Ari doesn't do that so I don't feel quite the same way about her work. The appropriation yeah that bothers me greatly and it honestly bothers me that so many are willing to call it out but then continue to support her because she's not gonna stop so long as she continues to prosper and succeed with her image.

16. Ah, yeah, since we were specifically talking about brownface in here that part got lost. I don't disagree, and I'm honestly not fussed about whatever surgeries she's had.

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

with Kylie it just makes me sad that she had body image issues that severe at like 18, I have no moral qualms against plastic surgery in general

18. Kiana

I think once women go on to exploit other women's insecurities as the Kardashians do I start getting more annoyed and feel more of a moral complexity about it, but kylie never stood a chance with her family.

sophos34 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  19. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

are yall sure about this bronzer stuff? I mean shes had me 100% fooled if thats the case. thats a presumptuous convo to even have. shes italian and tanned.

beachdude and The Lucky Moose like this.
  20. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

She’s Sicillian even. But yes, we had the conversation, and agreed to disagree.

beachdude and Your Milkshake like this.
  21. bigmike

Trusted Prestigious

Yeah. Just go back in the thread like two pages.

22. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

no

23. iCarly Rae Jepsen

24. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

Ok but shes Sicilian so theres no appropriation angle. I think its racist to insist that there is just because shes decided to be tan.