Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande - Thank U Next (February 8, 2019) Album • Page 14

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

bloodlines is a total bop

2. it's more consistent than sweetener for sure and 7 rings is the worst song by a long shot on this wow doesn't even fit in with the overall direction and flow of the record

3. manoverboard365

Trusted

I definitely got Rihanna vibes from the closer.

4. manoverboard365

Trusted

make up :hearteyes:

5. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

Man, I'm a metal head, but "NASA" is a BOP

beachdude and mattfreaksmeout like this.
  6. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I was also just coming here to say how good NASA is damn definitely the highlight for me.

7. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

Really like ghostin

8. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

She even says “after laughter” in the very beginning

9. Devin Sunshine

@devinsuunshine

thats very very true... plus imagine is more of a ballad so not as many people are bumpin it probablyy

10. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Yea the inclusion of that sample is what kind of sealed it for me that this seems inspired by Fake Happy

11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

it took her 5 songs to say yuh this time haha
    I like 7 Rings more in context, the cultural appropriation is still bad , apparently she's saying Ari-Chan and not party time on Bad Idea
    I think I'm okay that she'll probably never make a song as good as Into You again as long as she has a steady stream of bops

12. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

First thoughts:

Imagine - Imagine is great, it’s a regular sick pop song with an amazing ending that elevates it beyond other standard Ari pop songs. Best of the singles.

Needy - this is sick and dark and minimal in all the right ways, but also why is it not track 1? who do I have to fight at Republic? what an obvious choice. Really fucked up.

NASA - the vibe for the album is becoming real clear, but also this is a sad bop and I love it. This chorus is great and the beat is great and it’s pretty corny and it works. And another great ending, even if it’s subtle.

Bloodline - it’s good but not good enough to really be a single, also weird basis for a hook. Ethnonationalism better not fuck up more pop albums. Beat is solid and I wish Cardi B was on it. The bridge was good tho.

Fake Smile - this is fine and kind of half baked, lyrics are real filler and don’t really do much to build an empathetic image. The sample is sick but this really doesn’t build to anything.

Bad idea - beat is great. Hook is fine but forgettable. Album feeling part cohesive part repetitive. Beat change is sick.

Make up - probably worst in a run of similar songs. The beat is wonky and she’s not able to do much interesting vocally, which is like her strongest suit. This is just fine.

Ghostin - fine but who cares, isn’t catchy or interesting, just kind of there.

In my head - I don’t know if she really works on these kind of beats, the tennis shoes part is the only thing that really stands out.

7 rings is trash, she’s like training for the appropriation olympics and killing it. Rich woman flaunting money and consumerism to fix depression is not a good thing, Somebody think of the children. This beat is like way less dark among the ten other dark trap beats on this album.

Thank u next is like instantly iconic and a better written song than anything else here. Might be what she ends up known for in like fifty years. Plus it’s a bop.

I’m bored - more of the same, probably one of the better dark trap songs.

I really like the first three, maybe four, but the middle drags and is pretty forgettable. Dangerous woman forever.

13. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

After playing the whole thing NASA and Needy are so so so good

14. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

the sample is def weird given the similar songtitle

but the songs sound zero similar musically to me

15. Your Milkshake

Prestigious Prestigious

I havent been extremely keen on thank you next since it came out

16. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

Oh no not musically in the slightest. It’s just the same exact thing. To be clear I don’t think it’s a rip off or anything

17. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

ghostin is a standout for me tbh

18. studskalny Feb 8, 2019
    (Last edited: Feb 8, 2019)
    studskalny

I met the devil and I stared her in the eyes

Whoa so I just finished that song. At the beginning during the sample I was like wait..After Laughter? and then I had to check the lyrics real quick to snap back to reality. Definitely the same exact subject matter. Actually, I came on here to search for the song in the forums just to see if anyone else said anything haha. I just see it as a result of what made ‘After Laughter’ such a great album - Hayley in particular was able to open up about what a lot of people can relate to in this day and age with the overall theme of the album.

Just caught this song and completely agree. 100% skip in the future.

mattfreaksmeout likes this.
  19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

"bad idea" is THE SHIT

"ghostin" is GORGEOUS

20. These wonky beats (when the chords or the notes go slightly out of key) are my favorite thing about it, it reminds me so much of Lone's work. Do a collab please

21. marceting

Trusted

Bloodlines is a jam. Need more wonky/weirdness ala The light is coming or Borderline. That's my favorite Ari

22. Devin Sunshine

@devinsuunshine

ghostin though has me almost cryinnnnn :verysad:

23. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was iffy on NASA at first, but I fucking love it.

24. StepsInADance

so much for them! Prestigious

ive listened to this twice and tbh im kind of lukewarm on most everything here but ghostin. nothing aside from japanese bbq grill 7 rings is bad but not much is connecting with me. i am liking bloodlines and needy and could see them doing well as singles.

smowashere likes this.
  25. Doomsday

Trusted Prestigious

Gonna check this out. I like 7 Rings enough but rich ppl bragging about being rich through a means where if you remove it they'd still be rich will always infuriate me to some level, I can't deny I think the song is catchy

Never listened to a full Ariana record before though so this is my first time