Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande - Positions (October 30, 2020) Album • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by btr, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

this is incredibly horny and vibey. i love it.

2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

nothing pulling me in on first listen. Really don't like the Doja verse.

3. Meghin

Uhhhhhhhhhh... Supporter

positions: the horny album 2020 really needed. Maybe without Doja Cat, but that's just me.

4. btr

Trusted Supporter

Enjoying this. No anthems but it’s very vibey

irthesteve likes this.

5. I have not formed an opinion either way yet on this album (only listened once - it was pleasant) but just wanted to share this as well to add to the discourse (please punch me in the face for writing a sentence like that)

incognitojones likes this.
  6. I do disagree with the idea that an artist should "stop releasing music cuz they're bored" because that's fucked up and we don't decide when and what artists can do with their art

7. incognitojones Oct 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2020)
    incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Just turned this on, I think a lot of my problems with the last two albums were just kind of sounding samey and like fill in the blank. There's great songs on those albums but the whole piece felt uninspired as a whole. Maybe she is just bored and knows she'll do fine whatever she does.

Would love for her to make a big stylistic jump, early on I feel like this vibe isn't the best use of her talents.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I feel like these strings were like a creative choice to make this album sound different but they're used like the exact same way in every song they're in

9. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

This was a pretty mixed bag for me. I agree with whoever said earlier that a lot of this runs together. I think for me this is missing a lot of the stylistic choices from the first three albums that made me really fall in love with her music

10. Ferrari333SP

Prestigious Supporter

"My Hair" is a real old-school vibe - love it

11. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Positions kind of sticks out as an outlier on this, especially knowing its the only song with a different producer. Weird to include and weirder for it be a single.

12. manoverboard365

Trusted

A little let down with this. No real high points or low points. Just kinda blended together

13. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

I think the no high points works on this. It’s a groovy/vibey R&B album which she was going for. It isn’t supposed to be an album with big/lavish poppy songs.

GrantCloud and footiepajamaz like this.
  14. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

glad some people are enjoying the vibe, and I cant complain about her giving us 3 albums in a little over 2 years but for me theres not a ton that I'll be returning to outside of 3435, motive, pov

im glad she seems to be happy and in love and content though, she has defo earned it

15. also I just think superstar artists and labels have just figured out how to game the streaming system. an Ariana Grande album every two years will still rake in the streams and get primo playlist positions and promotions regardless if it's "good" or not.

16. AWasteOfATime

@awasteofatime Supporter

she's said on multiple occasions that she wants to be releasing music like this, as much or whenever she feels like, (regardless of if thats actually true)

17. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

I think we also need to start normalizing the idea of NOT immediately comparing an artists's project to everything else they have released. There is absolutely nothing wrong with releasing an album that is **not as good** as the last few releases. Those albums are HIGH quality, even if this one is **not as good** as her other albums, so what? In no way does that mean this album itself is not good.

18. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also i keep being like "come on this is her most consistent album ever"

19. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

ppl's disappointment in this seems proportionate to how much of a straight up quiet storm r&b record it is

i personally am fucking thrilled

beachdude, Jacob Tender and Contender like this.
  20. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

also i do not really get the sense that the strings are used the same way on every song where they appear

21. mattfreaksmeout

Trusted Supporter

I feel like a lot of this criticism was very predictable. Kind of happens every time an artist dares to have too much success. The first time they release something that's very good, but maybe not their best, everyone is so ready to jump all over it. Like it's very strange for me to see official reviews that say "oh but there's no bangers". Who said this was going to be a bangers album?

22. unbornwhiskey

Trusted

it's a motherfuckin' vibe, it's for motherfuckers that's patient, it's for motherfuckers that like to take their time, close their eyes, and dream

beachdude and Drew Beringer like this.
  23. ItsAndrew

Prestigious Prestigious

An album by a pop star does not have to have bangers to be good.

Exhibit A: This album
    Exhibit B: Folklore

24. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

the fuck you talkin about? "seven" would go OFF in the club

beachdude, JamesMichael and ItsAndrew like this.
  25. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Even more so in the middle of a pandemic when we don't have anything better to do anyway.

beachdude and irthesteve like this.