Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Ariana Grande Addresses Objectifying Fan • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I apologise if my first post came across like I was "giving people a reason to not listen to her", that wasn't my intention

2. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

My criticism was how the thread looked in general for the first handful of posts, not necessarily you specifically.

How do you know that's the reality? Maybe the kid was a fan who has only heard radio edits of a couple songs, we literally have no idea.

Young men are plenty sexist as it is with or without mac miller's music. it's literally everywhere. Her point stands regardless of what he writes and to bring it up as if she has to answer for it comes off as dismissive of her post, to me at least.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  3. Letterbomb31 Dec 31, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 31, 2016)
    Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

Sure, you may be right. Maybe Mac's lyrics aren't 100% to blame, it's not like misogyny doesn't exist outside of his music lol, but it's not a stretch to imagine they haven't had at least some influence on this kid, especially as in Ariana's tweets he's described as a big fan of Mac.

Yep, true. But I haven't seen Mac tweet about this incident. His last album featured Cee Lo Green (a rapist). His lyrics are often disgusting. I get the impression he just doesn't give a shit about misogyny. I like his music but he doesn't seem like a good dude. With hindsight I've probably chosen the wrong thread to bring this up, but yeah, I just find Mac to be very problematic.

4. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

IMG_5742.JPG

So again, let's read those last couple paragraphs and try to understand that the proper response to this is not to criticize the woman's choice in boyfriends, or the way in which she is expressing her point.

This kind of post is probably hard enough for her to make. She was not trying to fix the problems with sexism in art. She was trying to openly express herself after a man said something that made her feel bad. Something we should encourage, not scrutinize.

sophos34, ChaseTx and Aaron Mook like this.
  5. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

I havent liked any of his records. I'm really not trying to come off like I'm defending him. I'm not a fan of his at all. I guess all I mean is that this maybe felt like the wrong place.

My apologies if I offended you or upset you at all. Hopefully what I was trying to say was made clear. I'm not all that great at explaining myself sometimes, which makes it tricky to parse through these kinds of subjects.

6. Letterbomb31

Trusted Prestigious

I totally understand why you interpreted my initial post as undermining Ariana, reading it back it does come across that way. I made an error of judgement posting in this thread about Mac's lyrics and my first post was poorly worded. I just want to clarify again that my problem is with Mac, not Ariana.

Robk likes this.
  7. Mrk_Brdshw

Dusted Groove

Yeah exactly. I can see how it sounded like we were calling her a hypocrite but actually I just wish she would have even acknowledged how big of an influence music like that can have on kids like the one she was writing about. I think we all agree with her points, but there were just more things that could have been addressed.

8. See, I still feel like addressing her boyfriend's music is far from being her job ~at all~

ChaseTx and Robk like this.
  9. disambigujason

Trusted Supporter

Perhaps it's not, but one can't help but wonder, if only out of mere curiosity, if the irony comes up in conversation between em.

10. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Eat shit moron

Petit nain des Îles and Robk like this.
  11. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yeesh.

12. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

RT

13. Iamhollywood315

Regular

lol so now my post gets deleted. Forgot I have to be sensitive here since feelings are easily hurt. Guaranteed it was removed by mookie boi.

14. FTank

Prestigious Prestigious

Maybe instead of blaming someone else every time, look inward and stop posting garbage? Just an idea.

15. Aaron Mook Jan 1, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 1, 2017)
    I didn't touch your shitty post but I'm glad someone else did. For someone who blames "whiny PC people" all the time, you sure seem to complain a lot.

16. Chaplain Tappman

Trusted Prestigious

Eat shit you dumb fuck

17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. Could have banned you tbh, looking at your post history.

18. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

i'm gonna sit on your face.

19. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

There's a lot of men commenting on things in here #AstuteObservations

20. The_Effort

Regular Supporter

That's true and I probably didn't help anywhere near as much as I meant to. My apologies if anything I said was out of line.

Aaron Mook likes this.
  21. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I think a large part of that is there are mostly male posters on the site, as well. I don't even know how many non-male active posters there are on here haha, and further, how many of them would even want to contribute to these conversations.

FWIW, I think pointing out the stuff about Mac at the least was necessary for people to know. I had no idea about his lyrical content prior to this thread.

Kiana and FTank like this.
  22. Kiana

ia it's def the makeup of the site but it'll always be weird to see men going back and forth on the subject. It's like watching people who will never get your life having an in depth discussion about it lol

23. xenoabe

Regular

I get your point but it doesn't mean that men can't talk about it. I'm not saying we always have the right POV. We should definitely seek the POV of women for these issues but to 100% completely discount the discussion is counterproductive IMO. Many of us have sought out the council of women in our lives and do have some level of knowledge to speak from.

24. xenoabe

Regular

Agreed but dating someone who speaks the exact opposite of her words does undermine her own words.

fourstarters likes this.
  25. Kiana Jan 2, 2017
    (Last edited: Jan 2, 2017)
    Kiana

I didn't say men can't talk about it. It's more about the way they do it that can rub me the wrong way

Aaron Mook likes this.