Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Are Mis-Gendered Band Names ‘Ironic’ or Sexist? • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, May 21, 2016.

1. Something I'm curious about that wasn't really covered in this article: How do bands that are named after a specific woman but have all male members (ie, Joan of Arc, Norma Jean) fit into this? I'm in a band with somewhat similar name (named after a female character in a book). We have a female member so maybe that's why it never came up, but this article got me thinking about whether I would have used that band name had all the members been male.

2. lolfpcmlol May 23, 2016
    (Last edited: May 23, 2016)
    lolfpcmlol

Regular

I have taken a step back and I still fail to understand how people can get upset at a meaning they themselves have applied. I don't see a single piece of evidence in this article about how these band names are limiting opportunities for women in music. It's just a long winded article about how they're 'offensive' names and they should stop being used without any evidence besides 'if you don't get it, your perspective is ruined by your privilege'.

Carmensaopaulo and devenstonow like this.
  3. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I was looking around the web for an article I read about how one tweet about a product conjured up a mob of people claiming they were offended because the tweet sarcastically claimed the product was offensive, complete with humorous reasons why. The story went to mainstream news about how everyone was "freaking out" over the product and an even greater number of people were assumed to have been offended. This thread reminded me of that article, which I unfortunately can't find and now am starting to wonder if it was bogus too.

I did find this article, though. It's a very lengthy read but well worth it and touches upon how a culture of being offended affects everything from politics to mental health.

How Trigger Warnings Are Hurting Mental Health on Campus