Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Are Final Clubs Too Exclusive for Harvard?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

My first introduction to “final clubs” was in The Social Network; however, Sarah Maslin Nir, has a great article in The New York Times about their place at Harvard in 2016:

Today, that description is perpetuated by unwritten codes on who may pass through their doors and who may join. The elaborate courtship of the desirable can begin with an engraved invitation slipped under a dorm room door to “punch” — a selection process that continues with a series of outings and culminates in a black-tie dinner feting the few who make it through.

To many students, the clubs remain potent symbols of privilege, anachronistic and out of place on an increasingly diverse campus.

2. Which one?

No I meant which Roosevelt.

Final club, not finalS club.

3. mirrorsandfevers

what is the vibe?

There’s a difference between being obsessed and being motivated.

4. Yes.... There is....

5. transrebel59

Regular

People that attend Harvard talking about privilege, lol

Cola. likes this.
  6. carlosonthedrums

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails Prestigious

This is because of the chicken, isn't it?

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  7. That issss worse than being accused of necrophilia.

carlosonthedrums likes this.
  8. Cola.

I was such a looker in the old days Prestigious

Super interesting read but also funny to see privileged people arguing about privilege

9. Behind the Barricade

https://www.behindthecade.com

[​IMG]

Chase Tremaine likes this.
  10. Lindsay M

drunk on the radio waves

I already felt sort of isolated during undergrad because I didn't participate in Greek life. Going somewhere with a culture like this would've been hell.

11. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I am enjoying all of the quotes from The Social Network. Aaron Sorkin is just fantastic at writing dialogue.

12. jellyfishfossil

Regular

It's because there's nothing else for us to do. It at least makes us look concerned on our way to the bank.