Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Architects Stop Festival Show To Call Out Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The Huffington Post:

Sam Carter, lead singer for the metal band Architects, has rightly been hailed a hero for stopping in the middle of a show to defend a fan from a groper. […]

“I saw a girl, a woman, crowdsurfing over here, and I’m not gonna fucking point the piece of shit out that did it, but I saw you fucking grab at her boob,” Carter said. “I saw it. It is fucking disgusting and there is no fucking place for that shit.”

2. joe.boy.fresh.

Trusted

Sam is a fucking class act.

3. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

saw this on twitter during the weekend, big time respect

4. CMilliken

Trusted

Saw the video of this. Good on him for calling the dude out!

5. Kinda disappointing he didn't actually have the person kicked out, his words about not tolerating that at his shows hold a little less weight since he allowed them to stay. But I guess that's just a judgement call -- I could see how something like that could get ugly really quick.

thedrudo likes this.
  6. JM95

Trusted

I don't think they hold any less weight at all. All sorts of reasons why he might not have them kicked out. For a start, he has to be absolutely 100% certain about the guy if he's going to do it and even then, the possibility of violence against that person make it a judgement call.

7. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

I think he handled this pretty well compared to most. There's been videos of other musicians trying to do the right thing and calling this out, but ultimately inciting and promoting violence at the same time (I think mainly of Aaron Lewis even though I love the guy and know he was just trying to prevent something awful from happening). The words Sam chose were basically exactly what needed to be said - he brought awareness to it, he said not to do it, he made it clear that it's "not their body", and he said if you want to continue doing something like that then you can leave. That also leads me to believe that he probably kept a close eye out for it (as well as audience members too) for the rest of the show.

In retrospect, you can always say more could have been done, but I think his actions and words were very appropriate and I applaud him.

8. xenoabe

Regular

Good, too much of this garbage happens and skeezy dudes get away with it.

9. RobJGolde Aug 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Aug 22, 2017)
    RobJGolde

Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!

I agree, he did handle it well. Sure more could've been said, but to your point, I too would like to believe it heightened people's awareness throughout the rest of the set/festival to look out for creeps like that. You never really know how you're going to react in that specific situation until you're actually in it. I'm glad they also highlighted Brendan from Circa Survive's incident as well and how he handled it. Sam using his platform to call out an incident and bring awareness to the greater overall problem is a step in the right direction at the very least.

crunchprank likes this.
  10. jorbjorb

7 rings

Saw this type of crap many times at Osheaga. Disgusting POS.

11. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

Brosheaga is the worst. It's my least favorite festival strictly because of the people that attend.

Sam is a class act. As if I needed a reason to love this band even more.

12. jorbjorb

7 rings

It was my first festival. I'm assuming all of them are like that but what do I know. It was definitely "brosheaga".

13. redwing91007

Next Show - Foals April 22nd

I didn't go this year, but I worked at the "Play Zone" last year for the entire weekend and attending a single day in 2014. I also work in downtown Montreal and I can just feel the cultural shift during Osheaga week. If you want to attend a good Canadian festival, hit Rockfest next year.

jorbjorb likes this.
  14. SamLevi11

Trusted Prestigious

Great from Sam. Can't wait to see them at Reading on Sunday.

If anyone here likes heavy music and hasn't listened to them, now is a very good time to do so.