Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

Architects - Holy Hell (November 9, 2018) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by amorningofsleep, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Yeah I stopped following them after Daybreaker because they were just writing the same thing over and over again, but this one does change it up a bit.

2. Gave this a once over, thought it was fine. Credit for making a better album than the last one, but I think I’m just sorta out on this sound. A lot of it just sounds really dated at this point — and I’m not even just talking about the songs, but this whole super spotless and blown out hyper digital production thing too. Like there just isn’t anything here I wouldn’t expect on a typical post, like, 2010 metalcore album... it does what it does just fine but it’s not particularly engaging. And sometimes that’s okay, but that combined with my tastes drifting further and further away from this genre in general as time passes just personally makes it hard to identify anything in this as something I want from music right now.

I don’t wanna understate the “does what it does just fine” part though because I’m absolutely certain that one random day like 3 months from now I’ll have a craving for something like this and for like 24 hours the title track is reeeeeally gonna do it for me

3. I think this is one of the better metalcore albums of the past few years

4. Syre Dream

Regular

I've been pretty worn out with metalcore and don't really listen to it anymore but this album is amazing especially The Seventh Circle. I also really liked the new Silent Planet album.

5. xthisislove

Regular

Same but there are less than a handful of bands I’ll listen too and they’re one of them! For some odd reason The Seventh Circle gave me a newer slipknot vibe. My fav so far are Mortal After All and Holy Hell!

Its wild to see how far they’ve come from the Ruin record cycle days on MySpace and driving 3 hours to Canada to see their first tour. The band is always on every level if they’re playing from 50 people to 5000

6. This album is a nice reminder that I barely find anything worthwhile in metalcore anymore. I can't think of the last time I was genuinely excited about the genre... 2011/2012 perhaps? This is when the djent sound became the template, which put me off so much.

All these bands being described as playing "progressive" (aka let's rip off Meshuggah and throw overly poppy choruses in the mix) metalcore were actually interchangeable, and it seemed like Architects was moving towards that sound a bit too much lately. At least they're going in a different direction this time.

Silent Planet's album is fine, but the clean vocals are way too scene-y at times and bring it down. It's kind of a difficult genre to branch out from.

Misery Signals, we need you.

7. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Yeah Seventh Circle is great. Album is decent overall, definitely like more than the last album. Comes nowhere near close to Hollow Crown or Daybreaker for me though.

8. This is too polished for me. The recordings are too clean for my liking, if that makes sense.

9. I had a touch of food poisoning all weekend so I wasn't able to really edit and finish this review for it to be published today. Expect tomorrow.

11. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Was trying to find this conversation again... for whatever reason I decided to check Flood of Red recently, because I know both of you guys have great music taste that I often agree with. I’m listening to “Leaving Everything Behind” now and this is great!

12. Jake W

Talk of Flood of Red got me thing of the British bands from that era. I loved this band

13. DeRRek

Trusted

Nice one. Glad you’re enjoying it. That album was given away as a free cd with rocksound magazine back in the day. Still have my copy. You should definitely check out “throw” as well. That album is really good. “Cutting limes” is my favourite track off that one. The end of it is so good. I actually saw the singer in Glasgow on Sunday night in the cathouse in Glasgow. Was asking him about them and said they should get back together. Haha. I was very drunk by this point.

14. DeRRek

Trusted

Haha. I remember them. Blast from the past. One of my friends was the singer for a band called sicktrick round about that time and they recorded an album. Unfortunate without vocals. It was class. The album was called fuel injected chaos. The music was so good. They were from Dundee. Here is the album without vocals. I have a better quality version on cd somewhere. My friend gave me it. It never got an official release because they broke up before completing it. Gutted.

beachdude and Jake W like this.
  15. beachdude

Was checking out some of Throw after finishing the first album, really good stuff! Gonna finish listening to it later.

DeRRek likes this.
  16. Dog with a Blog

:praise: For real. God I love that band so much. Ugh.

I have yet to listen to Holy Hell in full. So much music came out around the same time that I sorta put it on the back burner. I’ll get to it eventually.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  17. StormAndTheSun

insects come to life Supporter

Album is clicking with me hard today. Love these guys.

beachdude, redwing91007 and DeRRek like this.
  18. beachdude

Tomorrow Architects is releasing “Spotify Singles”, which includes a live performance of “Death Is Not Defeat”, and a live cover of Deftones’ “Change (In the House of Flies)”. Ngl, I feel like they’ll knock that Deftones cover out of the park.

Petit nain des Îles and DeRRek like this.
  19. Jake W

Sam has the voice for it and they definitely have the talent for it, just hope they don't ruin it with breakdowns

20. DeRRek

Trusted

I hope they do. Love that song and Deftones. I’m intrigued to see which way they will go with it.

beachdude likes this.
  21. DeRRek

Trusted

Also, seeing them in Glasgow on Thursday. See if they will add it to the set haha.

beachdude likes this.
  22. beachdude

My thoughts exactly

Jake W likes this.
  23. DeRRek Jan 16, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 16, 2019)
    DeRRek

Trusted

beachdude likes this.
  24. JM95

Trusted

Not bad.

25. DeRRek

Trusted

Yeah. It’s not a million miles from original but some cool stuff added. I agree though. It’s decent.